Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Guess who's the idiot?

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I have been working on PC's now for about 5 years.....ran into a few issues and learned from them and moved on....Now that the background is out of the way...

So I was playing Rust earlier and my computer starting making a weird noise.....couldn't locate the source so ignored and went on. After about 10 minutes entire computer shut down. Start it up and it would shut down immediately....PSU?!?!?!?

WELL....who in the room is the idiot that installed his PSU upside down?

*Monolith raises his hand*

With this new case came a movement in my PSU from the top to the bottom...my first time dealing with this configuration so I installed the PSU as I normally would and moved on.

It would seem that installing the PSU so the fan is pulling fresh air directly from the GPU exhaust will quickly burn out a PSU....DUH!

So upgraded my PSU to a Corsair TX650W...much better than my Coolermax 600W....and a valuable lesson learned for a mere $90.

So for all you future PC builders...don't lose confidence if you do something stupid. It's only money and it happens to the best of us LOL

Reaction score
Uh, pretty sure airflow in PCs is supposed to go from top/front out the back/bottom as less dust to draw in that way. I've spent 10min trying to picture your config and I just can't.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
New box installs the PSU with intake fan pointing down cause it has a filter underneath it to make sure its clean air....your right in my thinking...I installed it pointing into the case as I usually do...didn't notice the removable filter on bottom...

Pointing fresh air in puts the intake directly under the fans from my GPU...so it pulled in hot air for 2 weeks before it finally crapped out.

Reaction score
Lucky escape! On my first build I plugged the mobo audio v5 two pins into a graphics card two-pin, blew everything.. luckily Dabs were kind enough to replace it all, white lie "It didn't work on arrival."

Reaction score
Uh, pretty sure airflow in PCs is supposed to go from top/front out the back/bottom as less dust to draw in that way. I've spent 10min trying to picture your config and I just can't.

Silly Rob, what's not to get?

His case has PSU bay at the bottom, with ventilation holes & filter at the bottom.

Since he usually instals PSU on the top of the case with fan facing up, he did the same here & had fan facing up instead of down.

So instead of sucking clean air from the underside of the case, the PSU is sucking in hot air from inside the case & the GPU is directly above it blowing more hot air down.

Reaction score
But doesn't the gfx card blow air out the back? It would be pretty retarded to design one that blows hot air into the case... If anything they are both sucking in air from the case, which shouldn't be that hot if all his other fans are right.

Plus drawing air from the bottom seems like a bad idea to me if I were designing power supplies. Unless the goal is for them to break due to carpet fibres anyway.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Most regular GPU's have a single fan or dual fans that draw their fresh air off a heat sink that sits on the graphics processor...expelling that air into the case which mixes with the front to rear air flow and goes out the back.

I'm sure there are some designers that have created GPU's that direct the flow out the back on higher dollar more extreme GPU's but this isn't cost efficient design for most GPU's.

I know every GPU I have owned had fan's designed this way, even my Twin Frozr I have now.

Reaction score
Most regular GPU's have a single fan or dual fans that draw their fresh air off a heat sink that sits on the graphics processor...expelling that air into the case which mixes with the front to rear air flow and goes out the back.

I'm sure there are some designers that have created GPU's that direct the flow out the back on higher dollar more extreme GPU's but this isn't cost efficient design for most GPU's.

I know every GPU I have owned had fan's designed this way, even my Twin Frozr I have now.

They draw cool-ish air from the inside, which should come from the front of your case, into the heatsink, and out the back. You should have a vent out the back of your card to show this. My old ati card was surrounded by plastic to stop air leaking, my newer nvidia ones don't seem to bother so I guess the force of the fans is enough. I know when I'm gaming the card is kicking a fair amount of heat from that vent, and my case fans are on the ceiling with liquid heatsink for cpu above gfx card. Anyway point still stands, the heat inside case shouldn't be that much higher than outside with proper venting, nothing I'd hope a decent PSU couldn't handle anyway. I still don't like my PSU pulling air from my carpet, but I suppose its designed for that.

Evil Scottish Overlord
Legend
Reaction score
I'm pleased to say the only issue I had in my first build was the CPU fan wasn't seated correctly, got very lucky that I never burned it out!

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Well I understand the confusion now....and the point of my thread expresses itself twice lol.

Seems Robert is correct and I was wrong in my assumption with GPU's...I assumed it was a negative air flow design...pulling air from the heatsink and expelling it into the case....but it is a positive air flow..it pushes air into the heatsink that is then directed out the vents in the back....

I used an incense to test the theory and sure enough it is a positive air flow design....guess my PSU was just due to crap out...it was 4 years old :)

And my point on the thread is...mistakes happen and you learn new things everyday...so it applies twice here...thanks for the education :)

Back