Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Need some guidance in buying a gaming pc.

Divine Celestial
Reaction score
I want to buy a gaming computer and I have a total budget of 2k$. I am thinking of spending 1.5k on cpu and 500 for rest of the stuff.

I came across this deal from Ironside computers:

Do you think this is a good deal or I could get better for 1.5k.

I am waiting for your feedbacks, cheers.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
No way...hell no...wow..thats a rip off....let break this down price per part:

These are the EXACT parts they are using

After their cheapest shipping charge of $40 you are paying them $300 to simply put it together..install Windows...box it and drop it in the FedEx bin. Their "lifetime" technical support is just software call in. And their warranty is probably so full of clauses that if you even open the case to clean it you'll void warranty.

As always stated in this forum...it's always cheaper to purchase the parts and put it together yourself....you get a warranty with each part on it's own.

and Christmas time is not the best time to buy...if you notice on the bottom of the page I linked it tells you the history of price changes for the parts listed....Dec 1st all prices go up quite a hefty bit. Better to wait till Jan.

Divine Celestial
Reaction score
No way...hell no...wow..thats a rip off....let break this down price per part:

These are the EXACT parts they are using

After their cheapest shipping charge of $40 you are paying them $300 to simply put it together..install Windows...box it and drop it in the FedEx bin. Their "lifetime" technical support is just software call in. And their warranty is probably so full of clauses that if you even open the case to clean it you'll void warranty.

As always stated in this forum...it's always cheaper to purchase the parts and put it together yourself....you get a warranty with each part on it's own.

and Christmas time is not the best time to buy...if you notice on the bottom of the page I linked it tells you the history of price changes for the parts listed....Dec 1st all prices go up quite a hefty bit. Better to wait till Jan.

Thank you for the feedback.

What is your thoughts on this build and is there any build that you recommend and do you think it would be better to get 16 GB 8x2 rather than the 8GB 4x2?

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Ok first off....what all do you plan on doing with the rig? "Gaming" doesn't really tell enough....what games and what settings are you going for? Will you also be doing other stuff? not internet browsing but graphics rendering or video editing ect ect?

Any specific components you prefer? Intel or AMD? Nvidia or AMD?

As for the RAM..I'll tell you this much...I have 12gb and never use it all....I personally feel anything over 8gb is just overkill or for bragging rights. Only reason I have an extra 4gb stick is because Fry's was having a sale and I couldn't beat the price for this RAM lol

Divine Celestial
Reaction score
Ok first off....what all do you plan on doing with the rig? "Gaming" doesn't really tell enough....what games and what settings are you going for? Will you also be doing other stuff? not internet browsing but graphics rendering or video editing ect ect?

Any specific components you prefer? Intel or AMD? Nvidia or AMD?

As for the RAM..I'll tell you this much...I have 12gb and never use it all....I personally feel anything over 8gb is just overkill or for bragging rights. Only reason I have an extra 4gb stick is because Fry's was having a sale and I couldn't beat the price for this RAM lol

I am using it just for gaming. I want to be able to play GTA V max settings, the latest battlefield max settings, watch dogs max settings, Assassins Creed Unity max settings, Dragon Inquisition max settings, Flight Simulator X max settings.

I hope this gives you an idea. I really don't mind what brand it is since this is my first PC to build I have no brand loyalty.

I want to get this monitor too. thoughts?

Last edited:
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
for gaming I suggest
an IPS won't be necessary for gaming.
The GTX 970 should be able to max out games even at 1440p
for CPU an i5 haswell refresh will be enough.

Divine Celestial
Reaction score
for gaming I suggest
an IPS won't be necessary for gaming.
The GTX 970 should be able to max out games even at 1440p
for CPU an i5 haswell refresh will be enough.

So you recommend that I go with that build?

Divine Celestial
Reaction score

This is the build I came up to.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Looks good..I personally would change the SSD to 128 GB and raising the spinner to 2 or 3 TB...your only going to use the SSD for your OS so you really dont need more than 128 gb...you do not want to store anything you deem important on a SSD because if it goes bad there is NO recovering it.

And unless your going to be doing some overclocking...you do not need the after market cooler...the CPU comes with cooler and thermal paste...

Divine Celestial
Reaction score
Looks good..I personally would change the SSD to 128 GB and raising the spinner to 2 or 3 TB...your only going to use the SSD for your OS so you really dont need more than 128 gb...you do not want to store anything you deem important on a SSD because if it goes bad there is NO recovering it.

And unless your going to be doing some overclocking...you do not need the after market cooler...the CPU comes with cooler and thermal paste...

I replaced the SSD and HDD as you said and I did a bit more changes.

I changed the mid tower case to a full tower case because I feel like the mid tower will limit me in upgrading my rig in the future and I added h100i water cooling as i think it will improve the performance and incase I wish to overclock in the future.

ส็็็็็็็
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Corsair's H80i is perfect for anything really... I've gotten my brothers FX-6300 to 4.5GHz on a Asus motherboard with a 4+2. (which is pretty much.. stupid for overclocking with AMD's vishera processors - the VRM overheated massively too until I applied two small fans to it - but I dropped the clock speed down significantly because the board wasn't cut out for it, the core however remained at ~50c with the Corsair H80i at 4.5GHz)

H100i is overkill in my opinion.

Divine Celestial
Reaction score
Corsair's H80i is perfect for anything really... I've gotten my brothers FX-6300 to 4.5GHz on a Asus motherboard with a 4+2. (which is pretty much.. stupid for overclocking with AMD's vishera processors - the VRM overheated massively too until I applied two small fans to it - but I dropped the clock speed down significantly because the board wasn't cut out for it, the core however remained at ~50c with the Corsair H80i at 4.5GHz)

H100i is overkill in my opinion.

Tbh I am getting the H100i and a Bigger case just as a forecast for future expansions so I don't have to spend that much later on.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Smart thinking..thats what I did with mine...if you have plans of upgrading in the future you cannot "overdo' it now.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score

did we overdo it yet

HOLY SHITBALLS...its a safe for your computer LOL....thats for some real conspiracy theorists there my friend LOL

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
YOU KNOW

its only 580 x 530 x 220mm

or

22.8in x 20.8 x 8.6 (this is where the PC is actually held)
then it has a security case around it(optional to make this case waterproof) that is 650 x 559 x 258mm or around 25.5 x 22 x 10.1 inches

not to mention it is made out of STEEL meaning you would need around 2750F to melt it to get inside to the PC

10/10 reccommend

Divine Celestial
Reaction score
So I am trying to pick a monitor and I've been researching for sometime. I want a 1440p screen to get the most out of my 970. I came across the ROG pg278q however it is out of stock most of the time and alot of people have issues with it but it is the best screen you can have. I don't want to buy a 1080p screen right now for 400 dollars and then swap it out in 1 or 2 years for 1440p.

I don't really know what to do, any suggestions of other 1440p monitors for gaming? or I should just take the risk and go with the pg278q.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Any reason your not looking for a 4k monitor?

Last edited:
Divine Celestial
Reaction score
Any reason your not looking for a 4k monitor?

If you can recommend a 4k gaming monitor for less than 800$ and if I really would like it I can go up to 1k$ however I think 4k would be a waste since I can't optimize it fully unless I get SLI.

Back