Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Holy Cows - Laptops with more than 16GB Memory ram wow

Reaction score
Server is pretty much useless.

My brother is running a server with 4, it's a dual atom 1.6, has 10 HDD's in it (8x2TB raid 6, 2x 80GB 2.5inch raid 0), hosts the network of about 25 local and virtual network computers including 4 servers.
Very few personal servers have this kind of traffic, yet it runs on pretty much jack poop.

Personally I would advice to get 16GB now if you build a gaming PC, even if you don't need 8 of it yet, the fact is that it's so cheap, that it's too good to pass up. The extra memory definitely doesn't hurt for such prices.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
If your Windows is 32bits, then it can't handle more than 8GB.

This is a great PC tho, even when people says that it's worthless.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
You can use 192 GB Ram on a 32 bit system by utilising a kernel hack that forces PAE to work, even enabling PAE /force doesn't actually allow more than 4 GB because there's an inbuilt cap to prevent using more than 4 GB Ram in a 32bit system, but the kernel hack only unlocks more total Ram, applications still can only run 2 GB (3 GB with some settings) Ram each and 64 bit applications still can't run.
At least you can run multiple applications that total to more of 4 GB Ram Usage

Reaction score
You can use 192 GB Ram on a 32 bit system by utilising a kernel hack that forces PAE to work, even enabling PAE /force doesn't actually allow more than 4 GB because there's an inbuilt cap to prevent using more than 4 GB Ram in a 32bit system, but the kernel hack only unlocks more total Ram, applications still can only run 2 GB (3 GB with some settings) Ram each and 64 bit applications still can't run.
At least you can run multiple applications that total to more of 4 GB Ram Usage

But you wouldn't do that... You'd just use 64-bit instead... Not to mention this has absolutely no relation to the rest of the thread.

Can't kilean the zilean
Loyal Member
Reaction score
These days its so cheap it doesn't matter if its overkill lol.

The one and only!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
These days its so cheap it doesn't matter if its overkill lol.

+Rep

I couldn't agree more, if someone wants 16GB ram then why shouldn't they have it, after all it is their system.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
RAM after 4GB is completely useless imo, use the money on something else :/ unless of course you do need all the extra memory only used in extensive projects

Reaction score
My many years old motherboard supports 16GB RAM and it's nothing new IMO.
Motherboard can support 32GB RAM and what idea is stack RAM if your processor and other components are poop. My personal use of computer doesn't need 100x of Dreamweavers and Photoshops run sametime so 4-8GB RAM is enough (for me).

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
16gb is pretty unnecessary unless you do lots of work with VMware or other varieties and need to open a crap loads of VM's at the same time.

And even then...

I'm only now upgrading my desktop to 4gb's :lol: This is a Q6600 + 8800gt combo with 2 gb's of ram. Going to format my Windoz XP and put Windoz 8 on it or something.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
RAM after 4GB is completely useless imo, use the money on something else :/ unless of course you do need all the extra memory only used in extensive projects

917893678251 - Holy Cows - Laptops with more than 16GB Memory ram wow - RaGEZONE Forums

Taken from my one of my pcs a few minutes ago
4 GB is acceptable but 8 GB is by no means useless it's increasingly becoming standard
It's a single SQL Server that is taking most of the Ram on the picture, no VM Ware no Photoshop

Back