Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Hosting website for a sports competition!

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi guys, I need your help and wishes to know some of your opinions on this issue.

Assume I, as a company, needs to host a website for a sports competition and needs to know the details for almost every details to host it.

Scenario
This website needs to provide ticketing sales, display scores of the game matches as well as updates of news and reports. The event will last for 20 days and the website needs to go live 3 months before the actual event to allow people to purchase ticket online. Lastly, the website will continue to operate for 6 months after the event.

Firstly, to start things off, the platform of hosting is in-house hosting and I cannot use cloud computing.

Specifications
1. The application can be developed using any programming language.
2. Average page view per day is estimated to be 70,000 page views with each page view data estimate at 400KB. The page views increase by 250% during the games period, with page view data increase by 150%.

Meaning to say:
Page views data - 70,000 x 400KB = 20GB
Page views data during games period - 175,000 x 600KB = 105GB

3. Average data upload (game scores, news, reports, etc) to be about 600MB during games period.
4. Average ticket sales transaction is estimated to be 250 transactions per day for the first three months period and gradually reduced to 150 transactions subsequently.

Tasks
1. Based on the information above, I need to know the server, network and storage configuration, taking into account the failover requirement. (A chart of comparison can be used if you feel there are several options available)
2. Based on the configuration, estimate the cost of setting up the servers for hosting this website. Including the cost for software, network, telecommunication, power space and IT staff. (Assumptions and reasonable estimation for costs can be made here)

So all in all, these are the following things I need to know:

Software requirements
1. List of softwares that are requirede to run the applications, including OS, database. No need for client machine though.

Hardware requirements
1. List of servers that is needed, memory and hard disk space.

2. Like for example, if you propose Windows Server 2012, find out how much memory is required to run the server adequately to server the number of users.

3. A hardware model that meets the requirement in 1.

Network requirements
1. Have to show clearly the kind of network traffic that is needed to be supported.

Security requirements
1. Have to show clearly the kind of IT security that is needed to be supported.

Cost analysis
Have to show the cost calculation for the first and second year. Can use tables to present data for ease!

Back