Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

What are must have Linux server tools?

◝(⁰▿⁰)◜Smile◝ (⁰▿⁰)◜
Developer
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm trying to compile a small must have list for Linux servers. This is for a Linux servers without a GUI.

I was wondering what programs and tools do you recommend that are not by default provided with OS?

Last edited:
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
NGINX & HHVM for web server, UFW, SimpleScreenRecorder, VLC, qbittorrent since their bittorrent transmission client sucks, ehm, I will add more to the list when something pops up in my head.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
He said Linux SERVER. Why would you put SimpleScreenRecorder, VLC and qbittorrent on a server?
Didn't really see that he wrote SERVER, because there's not really any software needed that doesn't exist on it when its installed. But it all depends on what he is doing, but I'd recommend xrdp unity or xmce for 2D GUI.

Reaction score
Didn't really see that he wrote SERVER, because there's not really any software needed that doesn't exist on it when its installed. But it all depends on what he is doing, but I'd recommend xrdp unity or xmce for 2D GUI.

Once again, why would you install a GUI on a server that is more than likely intended for hosting something? A GUI will just take up resources that should be allocated to the application(s) you're hosting.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Once again, why would you install a GUI on a server that is more than likely intended for hosting something? A GUI will just take up resources that should be allocated to the application(s) you're hosting.
Some of us uses a VPS as working place, because I don't bother to zip and download files, remove and replace them on different PCs. Pure logic.

◝(⁰▿⁰)◜Smile◝ (⁰▿⁰)◜
Developer
Reaction score
I'm looking for command-line programs only. It is for servers, not for a personal remote desktop.

An example would be: htop, a more user-friendly version of top.

Screenshot:
Taiga - What are must have Linux server tools? - RaGEZONE Forums

◝(⁰▿⁰)◜Smile◝ (⁰▿⁰)◜
Developer
Reaction score
What do you plan to do on the server?
It's just in general. It's not for a specific type of server. Just a normal server on the Internet. I'm wondering what monitor tools etc others recommend.

Reaction score
Fail2Ban, IPTables and Webmin. For those of you that don't know what Webmin is, it's basically an administration panel for the entire server and modules / packages installed. Similar to Plesk (just not poop).

Taiga - What are must have Linux server tools? - RaGEZONE Forums

Reaction score
Webmin just for idiots who are to dumb for the console. Installing a huge, wide open security risk for mouse adventures, rly?
Webmin is for idiots? That's just stupid, why do everything through the console when you can have something do it for you with a nice UI?

Also, as for the security risk you mentioned; use the firewall to limit it to specific IP addresses and setup specific account(s) with limited permissions.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Webmin is for idiots? That's just stupid, why do everything through the console when you can have something do it for you with a nice UI?

Also, as for the security risk you mentioned; use the firewall to limit it to specific IP addresses and setup specific account(s) with limited permissions.
Still stupid and useless. If you dont know how to use the terminal, simply uninstall your Linux distro.

Reaction score
Still stupid and useless. If you dont know how to use the terminal, simply uninstall your Linux distro.
Personally, I know how to use the terminal yet I still use Webmin more often than not since it's significantly easier. It still prints out the terminal responses and can provide more accurate (in some cases) messages to help you identify issues (with an installation for example). If you still think it's "stupid and useless" then to put it bluntly, that's retarded.

Back