Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Network Adapter on new desktop - quick question

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I got a new desktop, very good in performance, but the connection. It's just horrible.

I get 1-2 bars constantly, 3 bars rarely. My laptop gets 5 bars when it's right beside my computer, so I'm guessing the network adapter is very cheap.
Adapter:
802.11N 130mbps Wireless ($30)
http://prntscr.com/405sxf (picture link of my network adapters)
(connection)

Specs:
Intel Core i5 4590 (4 x 3.3 GHz, 3.7 GHz Turbo) CPU
8GB Dual Channel 1600Mhz DDR3 Memory
Geforce GTX 760 2GB Video
120GB Crucial M500 SSD + 1TB HDD Storage

Very nice rig in my opinion, but it's so frustrating with these insane load times via the internet / games.

And I purchased this computer from a local PC store, it's not a branded PC. Custom built. The $30 adapter was an add-on due to my router being too far away to wire it up to my PC.
(Distance is NOT the issue, just the adapter I believe)

Question: What could be the problem? Is it a bad N-adapter?

Thanks.

Reaction score
most likely not the adapter tbh.

What exactly is your network adapter? PCI card in an expansion bay? USB stick?

i would try repositioning the adapter (if it's USB) or the tower (if it's PCI) first & see. chances are you'll get much better results.

Don't have your PC up against a wall or desk (preferably put it ontop of your desk), and make sure your network card has actual line of sight (it can physically "see") with your modem/router.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Worse thing you can do to a wifi signal is to put the refrigerator between the router and the pc...seen this soooo many times on service calls.

Reaction score
Worse thing you can do to a wifi signal is to put the refrigerator between the router and the pc...seen this soooo many times on service calls.

Large bodies of water is another problem, like an aquarium sitting between them or a wall which houses alot of plumbing pipes. People assume WiFi means you'll just get a set AOE of signal in your house & anything inside will have no problems. Any speeds or distances quoted by manufacturers are ALWAYS using line of sight.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Again my laptop gets 5 bars of connection in the same room, same place as the computer.

It's honestly a hassle to even go on the internet with the computer, my ping is about 1000 on every game I go on. Laptop, about 70.

Forgot to mention the constant disconnecting it has. Just randomly disconnects from the internet. It's awesome.

Reaction score
Doesn't matter, it's not the same. Literally centimeters can make the difference between 5 bars or 1.

If you're asking for help, why must you act like you know everything? You obviously don't know everything otherwise you would have figured that poop out for yourself instead of reaching out for help. You didn't answer any of the questions I asked but instead decided that I must have simply misread what you wrote.

Your laptop has the antenna for your wireless running either alongside or ontop of your screen, so when the lid is open it has good ground clearance & is obstruction free which gives it good reception.

If the WiFi adapter on your PC is PCI, then most likely it's jammed close to or against a wall which is bouncing all of the signals away and giving you poop reception. If it's USB, it's either in the same position or sticking out the front of your PC case next to a desk or shelf. I don't know which you have, because apparently I'm not worth responding to & i have no idea what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Want to verify if it's the card? Go buy a $10 dongle...plug it in...if it gets better reception keep it. If it doesn't...take it back.

Modeler / C++ Coder
Developer
Reaction score
I got a new desktop, very good in performance, but the connection. It's just horrible.

I get 1-2 bars constantly, 3 bars rarely. My laptop gets 5 bars when it's right beside my computer, so I'm guessing the network adapter is very cheap.
Adapter:
802.11N 130mbps Wireless ($30)
http://prntscr.com/405sxf (picture link of my network adapters)
(connection)

Specs:
Intel Core i5 4590 (4 x 3.3 GHz, 3.7 GHz Turbo) CPU
8GB Dual Channel 1600Mhz DDR3 Memory
Geforce GTX 760 2GB Video
120GB Crucial M500 SSD + 1TB HDD Storage

Very nice rig in my opinion, but it's so frustrating with these insane load times via the internet / games.

And I purchased this computer from a local PC store, it's not a branded PC. Custom built. The $30 adapter was an add-on due to my router being too far away to wire it up to my PC.
(Distance is NOT the issue, just the adapter I believe)

Question: What could be the problem? Is it a bad N-adapter?

Thanks.

all of this could be yes either of your house around the transmitter.. or either from the card in your pc... there is quite a lot poop that can go wrong between that.... I have seen a 2km transmitter die in less then 30 meters... just because of a fcking small piece of brick wall...

Back