Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[PC] Screen keeps freezing?

R.I.P Millercent
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Lately my laptop has been going weird and the screen freezes like doesn't update, how ever everything continues on fine.. Like, YT videos will go on, if I type it'll still type fine, if I randomly click it'll randomly click, just I can't see it.. It's just frozen to me.

It just started happen randomly and still does. It's getting annoying. I've checked for high RAM and CPU usage but that shouldn't be a problem. It happens at random times, such as nothing open, or when looking at something etc etc.. So I can't place it to be anything.

Running Windows 7 with the latest updates. 4GIG RAM, Intel i3 2.4Ghz. It's kind of getting annoying now and I'd like some way to fix it. I've tried a few things on Google and various websites but nothing helped.

Anyone any ideas?

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Did you try different resolutions and refresh rates?

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Heat? How hot is the bottom when this happens? And is the fan at full speed when it happens? May just need a good cleaning....

R.I.P Millercent
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Heat? How hot is the bottom when this happens? And is the fan at full speed when it happens? May just need a good cleaning....

It's stone cold. I rarely hear the fan turn up full speed. I did take part of the bottom case off and it's still clean. It might be an issue with my operating system as it's a government one called Edustar.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How long does it hang for?
Maybe try create another user and see it happen to that user as well..
Normal this could be some registry problem.

R.I.P Millercent
Loyal Member
Reaction score
How long does it hang for?
Maybe try create another user and see it happen to that user as well..
Normal this could be some registry problem.

Sometimes it lasts just a few seconds, other times it lasts till the computer just fully crashes and has to be restarted. I did have a full computer reset a few weeks ago and that did fix some registry problems. How ever this was occurring before I did that but not as often. And it does it on any users (localuser and admin)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A friend of mine has the same problem and we have the same laptop. My brother who has a different model doesn't have the problem. I think it might be the batch I got.

Once I'm done school I'll most likely factory reset it.
Hm... i guessing some motherboard fault (Software issue)

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is CPU heating. Some motherboards do not shut down your PC instantly, they try to spin down your CPU, which results in lag, and ultimately freeze. See if this happens only in resource hungry programs/games. May also be your GPU over heating. If your Laptop has a dedicated GPU that may be the problem or it's defect. Although in this case I would just re-install Windows and see if anything installed previously or some registry error caused the problem. Or you can just start uninstalling stuff, starting with programs that have a service (usually they appear next to the clock on the taskbar)

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is CPU heating. Some motherboards do not shut down your PC instantly, they try to spin down your CPU, which results in lag, and ultimately freeze. See if this happens only in resource hungry programs/games. May also be your GPU over heating. If your Laptop has a dedicated GPU that may be the problem or it's defect. Although in this case I would just re-install Windows and see if anything installed previously or some registry error caused the problem. Or you can just start uninstalling stuff, starting with programs that have a service (usually they appear next to the clock on the taskbar)

I think he said a few times it was under low-stress conditions and that he is running a different operating system.

Based on the fact that you said your friend with the same setup has had similar problems, i would call it a compatibility issue between your operating system and your hardware. Beyond that I have no idea.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Was this laptop issued to you from your school, being it has the schools OS on it?

If so can you take it back to them and be issued another...it's obvious the previous model has issues and you said a friend has a newer model.

R.I.P Millercent
Loyal Member
Reaction score
@Monolith yeah it's happening to mine and a friends we both run the same model. How ever Jason my other friend who runs a newer model has the problem.

Put it down to the fact it's running 32-BIT and not 64. The 32-BIT versions has had this exact issue reported. Once I'm done school I'll most likely factory restore the entire thing and set it as 64-BIT (can i?)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ehm... it depends on the hardware. And what do you mean it's "running 32-BIT and 64"? That makes no sense either.

Most newer hardware is 64-bit, most older hardware is 32-bit. 64-bit hardware can use both 64-bit & 32-bit software (is backwards compatible), but 32-bit can only use 32-bit software.

I really cbf explaining the differences between them so if you really want to know then google it, but i really can't foresee anything which would cause an issue that wasn't there from the very beginning.

R.I.P Millercent
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Ehm... it depends on the hardware. And what do you mean it's "running 32-BIT and 64"? That makes no sense either.

Most newer hardware is 64-bit, most older hardware is 32-bit. 64-bit hardware can use both 64-bit & 32-bit software (is backwards compatible), but 32-bit can only use 32-bit software.

I really cbf explaining the differences between them so if you really want to know then google it, but i really can't foresee anything which would cause an issue that wasn't there from the very beginning.

Oops. I forget the 'not' I meant and not 64-bit.. Fixed it.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Try to reformat. If the same error occurs try check you hardware components if it is working fine.

Back