Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Processor Choice

Ask me about Daoism
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a processor online and replacing my laptop's. It's an Intel i3 running with a clock speed of 1.37GHz. It was purchased in 2013, I believe.

Just to look, I searched up my specs on eBay and found some really, really cheap processors for like ~$20 with a better clock speed, but my first reaction was to think that they're lacking in some other major speed department, being so cheap. My other thought was that, once removed, they lose a huge portion of their value. But, maybe not in the eyes of the sensible consumer.

Working with my current CPU is ridiculous. When I have Skype, VS2015, and Chrome open (while listening to music), the music will skip around. I'm a high-usage guy and I need an efficient core. I've resorted to playing games on my server, installing synergy-project to be able to move my mouse and keyboard back and forth between screens.

What am I looking at here? Would a greater clock speed be worth it, or should I still consider a newer model? Also, if not clock speed, what should I be looking into for my tasks?

I'll give you a few examples of the eBay findings:

- $12.99
- $59.99
- $16.19

Last edited by a moderator:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Replacing a laptop CPU is almost impossible (I think) as they are not conventional computers, in terms of upgrade-ability anyway. Your BIOS may not support the laptop, and if it's soldered in, obviously you won't be able to pull it out.

You'll want a laptop with a new-ish (dual-core+) >2ghz processor and 8GB of RAM, e.g:

Ask me about Daoism
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I don't know what you two own, but I've successfully taken out two processors. I got a collection.

Not interested in a new laptop, as I currently like mine, but I do want to give it a leg up.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Some laptops do allow removing the processor with a set screw that releases it, but getting to it you have to completely explode the laptop apart removing everything to the motherboard in most cases.

As for upgrading, yes it is possible, this you already know because you state you have done this twice...

That being said, the 3 processors you link are all used, two of which state they have been tested and are known to be working, one of which does not say that, stay away from the one that doesn't say that.

I personally would contact the company and jockey for some kind of warranty, nothing worse then getting it in the mail only to find out it doesn't work.

You just need to do research and make sure whatever processor you buy is compatible with not only your mobo but your RAM and your video card.....manufacturers use their own coding in their drivers and sometimes some components will not communicate correctly with others.

Ask me about Daoism
Loyal Member
Reaction score
As for upgrading, yes it is possible, this you already know because you state you have done this twice...

I haven't upgraded. I've removed processors.

Are these better than my current i3 1.57GHz though? I don't want to get it and find out that my current one is better, despite the clock speed being slower.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Tell me your laptop make and model (complete) so I can get complete specs on the processor installed....the specs you gave me are not enough to compare.

Reaction score
shenanigans. Changing the CPU in a laptop is the same as in a desktop. Just make sure it's made for the socket and the motherboard supports it (which you won't know until you try in most cases)

Oh and so far I've owned like 5 laptops including an EE-PC and none of them had the CPU soldered to the board. So please stop spreading false information.

2 things are almost never soldered to the board in any laptop. RAM and CPU. I've met one single laptop that had the RAM on board, but you could always change the CPU anyways.

Oh and this the best from all of the above according to the seller it has both l2 and l3 cache 4MB which is really good, although it's 1rst gen processor, so battery life may be decreased

this one is also good, comes with intel hd graphics 2000, though the cache has been decreased to 3mb, but it also has lower wattage 65w compared to the above 73w

Last edited:
Reaction score
shenanigans. Changing the CPU in a laptop is the same as in a desktop. Just make sure it's made for the socket and the motherboard supports it (which you won't know until you try in most cases)

Oh and so far I've owned like 5 laptops including an EE-PC and none of them had the CPU soldered to the board. So please stop spreading false information.

2 things are almost never soldered to the board in any laptop. RAM and CPU. I've met one single laptop that had the RAM on board, but you could always change the CPU anyways.

Oh and this the best from all of the above according to the seller it has both l2 and l3 cache 4MB which is really good, although it's 1rst gen processor, so battery life may be decreased

this one is also good, comes with intel hd graphics 2000, though the cache has been decreased to 3mb, but it also has lower wattage 65w compared to the above 73w

Most high end laptops will have their Processor soldered onto the motherboard. Lower end laptops where the tailor doesn't give a poop about the durability don't.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Ok guys...lets not argue specifics here. If you can answer the OP's question please do, if not argue in PM's please :)

Reaction score
OK -facts time, bitches.

1. You absolutely can upgrade laptop CPU's.

2. The majority of laptops do indeed have soldered/unmovable CPU's.

3. Although removable, laptop CPU's are NOT compatible or interchangeable with desktop CPU's (VERY small exception).

4. None of the above is debatable or open to interpretation.

5. If you did not know ALL of the above, you should not be giving "advice" in this section. Plain and simple.

Now FullmetalPride - Those CPU's you listed are for desktop CPU's. I would be very surprised if your laptop had a 1155 or 1156 socket. While they are upgradeable, laptop chipsets are VERY particular about CPU's you can use. Simply fitting into the socket is not enough, it needs to be completely compatible with the architecture - most only work with a very small range of processors.

If you do not have a full list of compatible CPU's from the manufacturer of your motherboard, you should not be purchasing anything. Because there is a very good chance it will not work. Please also note: swapping CPU's on laptops is NOT as simple as a desktop and in most cases you will also need to flash/upgrade the BIOS.

Ask me about Daoism
Loyal Member
Reaction score
OK -facts time, bitches.

1. You absolutely can upgrade laptop CPU's.

2. The majority of laptops do indeed have soldered/unmovable CPU's.

3. Although removable, laptop CPU's are NOT compatible or interchangeable with desktop CPU's (VERY small exception).

4. None of the above is debatable or open to interpretation.

5. If you did not know ALL of the above, you should not be giving "advice" in this section. Plain and simple.

Now FullmetalPride - Those CPU's you listed are for desktop CPU's. I would be very surprised if your laptop had a 1155 or 1156 socket. While they are upgradeable, laptop chipsets are VERY particular about CPU's you can use. Simply fitting into the socket is not enough, it needs to be completely compatible with the architecture - most only work with a very small range of processors.

If you do not have a full list of compatible CPU's from the manufacturer of your motherboard, you should not be purchasing anything. Because there is a very good chance it will not work. Please also note: swapping CPU's on laptops is NOT as simple as a desktop and in most cases you will also need to flash/upgrade the BIOS.

Yes..so I have been told...

Well, luckily my sister has a new laptop to upgrade to, so I can use her old one's. I'm aware I'll have to change the BIOS but that's no problem for me, really. As long as I can find one compatible.

Reaction score
Yes..so I have been told...

Well, luckily my sister has a new laptop to upgrade to, so I can use her old one's. I'm aware I'll have to change the BIOS but that's no problem for me, really. As long as I can find one compatible.

Honestly, if she's upgrading her laptop and her old one is better than yours, just take it. Trying to upgrade yours may not work out, and in the end you may end up damaging hers too especially if this is not something you've done before.

To put it simply, if it was me in your situation I still wouldn't be doing it unless I found a tutorial from someone who had already done a swap from your sister's EXACT laptop model to your current EXACT laptop model. That's how incompatible laptop processors are.

Back