Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Purchasing Anti-Virus?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Does anybody here buy a yearly subscription for their anti-virus? Is it worth or no?

Because mostly the people or somehow everyone that I've met in fact got their anti-viruses through torrents and stuff.

I'm actually planning to buy those yearly Norton subscriptions but I'm thinking if it's worth it.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Most commercial AV's are just bloated with unneeded software to make a regular user think they are getting their money's worth. All you need is a good firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials (if on PC). I use Comodo firewall, MSSE, and Spybot to regularly scan my computer on a weekly basis.

As long as you are smart and scan any suspicious files prior to running you will be fine.

Reaction score
Im using Returnil System Care.
It has the ability to freeze your main drive while acting as your main anti-virus.

You can use FREE just register it and you get 1year subscription.
When it expires, register a new one. ;)

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I don't use any antivirus.

Any sort of protection I have would be malwarebytes anti-malware.

I don't visit virus infested sites, but if I ever get one, malwarebytes gets rid of that fucker so fast I didn't even know I had one.

The one and only!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Microsoft security essentials is more than enough! And probably a good firewall. Most of antivirus software are just resource hogging crap!
You can still download and get updates for MSE on Vista and 7. It comes as standard with Windows 8 and higher (Windows Defender).

Reaction score
Putting Norton on any machine will be the worst mistake you make. Just getting and is enough. Not be silly and download stuff you shouldn't touch and you'll like a happy life.

I'd also recommend a browser with a java-script disable addon, then only allowed scripts from trusted websites. That'll cut down a lot of nasty surprises alone.

Super-Moderator
Staff member
Super-Moderator
Reaction score
Microsoft security essentials is more than enough! And probably a good firewall. Most of antivirus software are just resource hogging crap!
I completely disagree with this post. All my computers contain a paid anti virus. Haven't had any serious viruses, even when obviously downloading one when cracking something. However, on my Win 8.1 tablet I somehow managed to get a rootkit on it (with Microsoft Security essentials), while I haven't been downloading any big executables or what so ever.

I'm not completely sure about this, but it looks like nearly all (paid) anti virus is having the same database. They're all equal to each other, they all do their job. However, one AV gives you more control over files than the other AV.

I'm using McAfee for years. I'm starting to dislike it though. It's not user-friendly at all. You cannot allow programs to the anti virus, it uses a lot of memory, etc. I'm starting to become a fan of BullGuard. I'm thinking of purchasing that AV.

p/s I'm not talking about tools to scan just your computer, like ComboFix / MBAM

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
To each his own...I have been running MSSE/Windows Defender and Spybot for around 5 years on same computer and never had an issue and I download ALOT of torrented games. I just recently started using Comodo firewall because they offer a free basic software package with a single monthly pop up add that shows up on your toolbar and I've never really like windows firewall due to the lack of options.

Praise the Sun!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
ESET if you want to be lazy and want everything in one package (Smart Security). I've had this running for over years now and it has always kept my computer clean. Even when I used to download a lot.

Otherwise, Microsoft security essentials is more than enough (starting from Windows 8, it's integrated in Windows Defender and can be enabled with one mouse click from the security center). Also Windows Firewall but that should be enabled by default.

Back