Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

RAM/CPU Sharing via network

Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
Anybody know if it is possible to share RAM/CPU across the network e.g. assign a network PC to a certain program on another PC thus sharing the cpu load across 2 PCs? Cheers

A hard working geek :-)
Reaction score
Hmm.. not in any godo way.. no.

Picture the throughput needed to do this.

A standard network cable is a base 10/100, up to speeds of 100 megs transfered throughput one way or the other, now the processing amount of the standard CPU wouldnt allow a very steady transfer through a NIC port due to the speed of it..

ANd on top of that, not sure if I can pull any program that would let you do that across my head.. there are some you can buy for professional reasons, but again.. I cant pull the names off the top of my head.

Reaction score
No... The bandwidth would be to low to even matter. It might even slow it down as the PC's would have to wait for the data to be transfered before continuing.

There are special connectors on server boards that lets you interconnect them but I don't remember the name of it and I doubt you'll go off and buy $10k worth of hardware to do it. =P

NoPeace - out

Divine Celestial
Reaction score
Uhhh... clusters anyone?

Check out Linux Virtual Server as its free/open source, it should fit your needs.

Divine Celestial
Reaction score
No, because *nixes are the only operating systems advanced enough to do that -- and even then, special modifications are required.

Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
Those are distrobuted computing projects, in summary they feed each client a chunk of data, that client processes the data with no restrictions as to when the data has to be returned, and eventually returns it upon completion.
Clusters on the other hand are a completely different concept, think of it as if the machines were running in parallel to eachother. (I'm really lacking in the vocabulary department today from lack of sleep)

Back