Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

RAM Upgrade Help

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey,
I'm looking to upgrade my ram to 16gig but i've got confused with everything because i read the "Memory Support List PDF" on the motherboards website and it all makes no sense to me...

Currently i have a 1x 8gig 1600mhz (non branded i think) ram stick which came with the pc when i bought it from Ebay.

Here is my and i'm not sure what ram my motherboard supports myself,
Here's what i'm looking to upgrade to and i was just wondering if they'll work okay if i order 2 of them and if not what would you recommend?

If you need anymore info please let me know

(Random Stuff)
Win 10 x64bit
Processor: AMD A8-6600k 3.9ghz
AMD Radeon Dual-X R9 270x 2gb GDDR5
1TB Hard drive

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Yes, that RAM will work in your computer. That being said, your mobo will automatically downgrade the 1866 RAM to 1600 to match the RAM already there. So if you can get some 1600 for less money I would do it.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, think i'm going to end up ordering 2 of them since i basically only play on Black ops 3 on "high" settings and still get a steady 75fps so if i ever upgrade my pc i wouldn't need to buy new sticks :D

Yes, that RAM will work in your computer. That being said, your mobo will automatically downgrade the 1866 RAM to 1600 to match the RAM already there. So if you can get some 1600 for less money I would do it.

I checked the prices for both 1600mhz and 1866 and there's not really much difference so i'll just pay the extra which is only about £2-5, with that being said how come my motherboard will downgrade the ram? i thought my motherboard supports the 1866mhz modules and since i'll be using x2 1866's i thought they'd run at the speed it says, i'm only asking because i have no idea haha :p

Reaction score
If you leave the 1600 that's in there already, and then add one 1866 stick, your motherboard will default to the lower frequency for both sticks, ie: 1600

If you remove the 1600 that you currently have and then add 2 x 1866 sticks, the motherboard will run them at 1866 as it is capable to do so.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Ah okay i understand now, well thanks for the help again i really appreciate it :D

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
MOST mobos, there are a few HIGH dollar servers, cannot run RAM at different frequencies.....so if there is a difference it always downgrades to the slowest frequency available.

Back