Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Separating Domain and Host?

Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
Quick question.

I've noticed that most of my clients always separates their domain and host services? I was wondering what specific reasons to why they would not get a hosting service provider that includes a package of having a free domain?

And furthermore, I would like to know how the process of moving a hosting service provider to another one. Is it similar to how a domain just redirects their nameservers?

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Clients tend to purchase their domains first, way before they even begin hosting them. This ensures that the domain they have/want won't get taken later on.

It also depends on where they purchase their webhosting. I know some of them offer a free domain, but there's sometimes T&C that will bump the price up more. But they are normally pretty good and there are no T&C

As for moving, I believe the only way is to backup your entire site and move it to your new host (filezilla or some other ftp program) then change the DNS of your domain and point it to your new address. The same would apply for any databases you have

Reaction score
Pricing vs Specifications is what I look for. Usually I get a domain from Namecheap (because they're reliable for decent prices) and purchase a VPS/Dedicated Server from DigitalOcean, Vultr or OVH. I avoid web hosting and prefer to set it up myself, because I am able to and web hosting packages are usually pretty terrible and slow due to shared resources.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Same case here. Bought a domain name from Vimexx and bought a server from TransIP both cheap and good in quality.

Also to mention that TransIP is allowing you to set up your Linux servers and Windows server the way you like it.

Not that you have to give up a username and they set everything up for you it's all on you to do so.

Last edited:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Quick question.

I've noticed that most of my clients always separates their domain and host services? I was wondering what specific reasons to why they would not get a hosting service provider that includes a package of having a free domain?

And furthermore, I would like to know how the process of moving a hosting service provider to another one. Is it similar to how a domain just redirects their nameservers?

Well, I don't know if this is an answer to your question:

But back in the days when me and my friends didn't have that much money to spend, we bought a webhosting to run our images on. So we split our data to make sure the main website loads faster.

And by the way, if a webhosting is down it's always nice to have a backup hosting who can take it over until the downtime is over.

Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
Pricing vs Specifications is what I look for. Usually I get a domain from Namecheap (because they're reliable for decent prices) and purchase a VPS/Dedicated Server from DigitalOcean, Vultr or OVH. I avoid web hosting and prefer to set it up myself, because I am able to and web hosting packages are usually pretty terrible and slow due to shared resources.

Can I please ask but what exactly is required technically if I establish my own web hosting service?

The Cat in the Hat
Legend
Reaction score
Can I please ask but what exactly is required technically if I establish my own web hosting service?

Not a lot really. Get yourself a web hosting panel like parallels plesk or cpanel, get a dedicated server (or host it up in AWS). Get a dedicated IP address (for starters), a domain and setup the software. Then sell services to your clients.

I think that the web hosting market is now dying because of the simplicity of getting an AWS account with free tier to setup an EC2 instance, RDS for the database, elasticache if you need distributed cache and EFS for shared storage. Scale up as your business grows. It used to be harder as you had to purchase a dedicated server or a VPS and setting up everything took time. Now you can get yourself online in less than 15 minutes.

Reaction score
I think that the web hosting market is now dying because of the simplicity of getting an AWS account with free tier to setup an EC2 instance, RDS for the database, elasticache if you need distributed cache and EFS for shared storage. Scale up as your business grows. It used to be harder as you had to purchase a dedicated server or a VPS and setting up everything took time. Now you can get yourself online in less than 15 minutes.

This really. Getting a server that have great specifications for the price is easier than ever. On top of that, services like Envoyer and Forge from the team behind Laravel provide excellent solutions for quick, easy and automated deployment which build the LEMP / LAMP stack for you (among other things). I don't really know anyone who uses standard Web Hosting anymore.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
This really. Getting a server that have great specifications for the price is easier than ever. On top of that, services like Envoyer and Forge from the team behind Laravel provide excellent solutions for quick, easy and automated deployment which build the LEMP / LAMP stack for you (among other things). I don't really know anyone who uses standard Web Hosting anymore.
The thing is about web hosting is that it's usually limited, and slow because of shared resources as people have written.
The biggest issue is that you're limited to a few if not one language (PHP) and can't choose if you want a reverse proxy through Nginx as an example.
There's so many programming languages available and web hosting have fallen behind in terms of support.
If I'm not hosting on a VPS, I'm using as it's free, supports a lot of languages and can automatically deploy your app whenever you push commits to a Github branch.

Back