(STARTER) Web Hosting vs VPS

GammaRank
    Apr 2008 Join Date
    PhilippinesLocation
    4,064Posts

(STARTER) Web Hosting vs VPS

Could somebody please drop me some good knowledge when it comes to learning more about the hosting plans specifically Wordpress sites.

Right now I'm using Dedicated Servers to host my Wordpress site and overall my load time is pretty terrible and I was looking for options to have my site to load faster and I had in mind maybe a Content Delivery Network (CDN) would perfectly be a good option for me to add. To get my site to load quicker especially with the fact that I'm uploading high and larger quality photos that reaches around 2mb.

But I do would also like to know more about VPS, which I was also recommended by my hosting service provider to consider changing my hosting plan by having my own Virtual Private Server. I've never used it before and it seems like my hosting provider also allows me to setup my server https://www.crazydomains.ph/virtual-...ustom-servers/

The problem is that, I wanted to know in such cases like:
    1. If I was transfer my website to a different domain, would the pointing of DNS still be done from the VPS cPanel which my hosting provider has?

2. Does VPS really significantly improve my website's loading time even if it is using high quality photos?

3. Since it is a Virtual Private Server, does that mean I could be hosting two different site at once? And does that affect my other website's performance if I was to run another website in the exact same server?

Please I look forward for your responds.
    Thanks!

True MemberRank
    Apr 2011 Join Date
    471Posts

Re: (STARTER) Web Hosting vs VPS

If I was transfer my website to a different domain, would the pointing of DNS still be done from the VPS cPanel which my hosting provider has?

You just point the DNS to the IP address of your VPS. It will direct to htdocs

2. Does VPS really significantly improve my website's loading time even if it is using high quality photos?

Not really. Load time is dependant on optimization of your website in most cases. You will start noticing it slow down when you have a load of traffic going to it. But it's already slow with no visitors, its probably the wordpress theme or plugins causing that.

3. Since it is a Virtual Private Server, does that mean I could be hosting two different site at once? And does that affect my other website's performance if I was to run another website in the exact same server?

Yes. You can host as many sites as you want. Aslong as you have domains, you will just need to point to the right address. Heres a link explaining it,
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...g-only-one-vps

Also check out this website to see whats causing such slow load times. Bookmark this website, its really helpful
    https://gtmetrix.com/

GammaRank
    Apr 2008 Join Date
    PhilippinesLocation
    4,064Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MUnoob View Post
    If I was transfer my website to a different domain, would the pointing of DNS still be done from the VPS cPanel which my hosting provider has?

You just point the DNS to the IP address of your VPS. It will direct to htdocs

Not really. Load time is dependant on optimization of your website in most cases. You will start noticing it slow down when you have a load of traffic going to it. But it's already slow with no visitors, its probably the wordpress theme or plugins causing that.

Yes. You can host as many sites as you want. Aslong as you have domains, you will just need to point to the right address. Heres a link explaining it,
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...g-only-one-vps

Also check out this website to see whats causing such slow load times. Bookmark this website, its really helpful
    https://gtmetrix.com/
    What are your opinions when it comes to CDN? I think it would be a great alternative from a VPS, especially that I'm running a single wordpress website.

True MemberRank
    Apr 2011 Join Date
    471Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HeavenlyGifted View Post
    What are your opinions when it comes to CDN? I think it would be a great alternative from a VPS, especially that I'm running a single wordpress website.
    CDN's are a good alternative. I've used them in the past

It really depends on the scale of your website. If it's just a small e-commerce business, standard webhosting will also work fine.

SupervisorRank
    Apr 2007 Join Date
    2,277Posts

Interesting. I've been using DigitalOcean for years for my own applications. I do prefer having my own server instead of using a web host service. Since a couple of weeks I decided to try a CDN and started my own server at Amazon (AWS). Still experimenting with it and I did not deploy my site, yet.
    @HeavenlyGifted if you have set up a CDN, I'd be more than happy to hear your opinion about it.
    Forum Rules | Account Support | Subscribe
    RaGEZONE Facebook

"The reason why people give up so fast is because they tend to look at how far they still have to go, instead of how far they have gotten."

MemberRank
    May 2013 Join Date
    127.0.0.1Location
    132Posts

CDN's are only useful if you understand when and how to use them successfully. I use Akamai for my sites and game servers it works like a treat
    I will retaliate

MemberRank
    Sep 2018 Join Date
    2Posts

VPS is very cheap now, so we should choose VPS for running website. Everyone can choose at Vultr, DigitalOcean, Linode, Ramnode. If at Euro, recommend choose Contabo, it's very cheap and high ram. I have some review here

MemberRank
    Aug 2018 Join Date
    12Posts

yes, it true Louisluong. VPS is very cheap nowadays. I use Contabo which is best for dedicated servers. It offers professional hosting solutions for all business or private applications, for Internet beginners or experts with top web hosting requirements.

- - - Updated - - -

yes, it true Louisluong. VPS is very cheap nowadays. I use Contabo which is best for dedicated servers. It offers professional hosting solutions for all business or private applications, for Internet beginners or experts with top web hosting requirements.
    Ethan Root,
    iOS App Developer

Advertisement