Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

What kind of system would you guys recommend for someone using AutoCad?

Reaction score
This guy comes by work quite often and asked me if I could find out what kind of system would be best for using Auto Cad. He's taking classes and basically getting into that field.

Thanks!

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Well, seeing as I run AutoCAD off a home computer build, I can recommend highly what you'll want.

First step - Multiple Monitors, You'll want to use an Nvidia CUDA supported card so you can run 3 monitors. 2 monitors is bare minimum for CAD because you can transfer different drawing segments to different screens. VERY important for user-productivity. As far as a graphics card, I would recommend at least one of the 5xx series, preferably a 560, or 570 series. The reason for this, to get more then two monitors with an AMD card, you have to buy an active link Mini-Display-Port adapter which runs right around $100-130 for the bare minimum, whereas with an Nvidia display setup, you can just hook up 3 monitors and go. Being an AMD fanboy doesnt cut it for an actual workstation, you wont be running designs any quicker with a pricier card. Don't worry abot getting an FX series card, those are absolute work beasts for doing video design and editing/photoshopping, not needed for CAD work.

Get an SSD (Solid-State Drive). Again, its all about productivity and making sure things load up and transfer quickly, a simple 128gb Sata 2 or Sata 3 SSD will do wonders for making things run smoothly.

CPU - 4/6 cores cores, all around, get yourself either an Intel or AMD chip, if your getting an AMD - I would recommend the 1060T, for Intel either an i5 2600k, or an i7.

RAM/Memory - 4 gigs works for smaller projects, but try not to skimp and get yourself 8+ gigs of memory to work with, even a medium sized project can bog you down if you aren't careful.

The most important things all around are listed there, for running Auto CAD. VERY IMPORTANT - make sure you actually enable CUDA support in the Software, You have to manually go into the program settings to enable it.. that alone will make a night and day difference!

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
^
^
To get more than two monitors with amd you need nothing at all
my Radeon HD6950 supports 4 screens, stock, no cables, no nothing extra needed

also : CUDA has nothing to do with multiple screens, CUDA is a way to use graphic cards for CPU calculations

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
also : CUDA has nothing to do with multiple screens, CUDA is a way to use graphic cards for CPU calculations

No poop, really? Why do you think I said it has to be enabled in the software for CAD to put it to use? I never said anything about it being used for multiple screens. Do you think I'm new to computers?

As far as 'supporting 4 screens', I claim bullcrap, and say that you havent ever actually TRIED it before, have you? I can guarantee to you, with AMD's crap multi monitor support, you NEED active link connectors. I shoudl know, my current CAD computer is using an HD6950, and while ALL the boxing and tech support says it will support "up to 4 monitors, 6 with active link TPI's" What they dont tell you, is that anythign after 2 monitors requires a USB powered active Mini-DP plug. What they ALSO dont tell you, is that they support 'passive' link's in their list and claim it works, and they run about 60-70 bucks for one.. but in fact they dont work. I had to spend an extra $240 buying 2 active link's just to support the monitors I was using. And that price is on top of the already expensive graphics card.

Save some money, use Nvidia when going CAD and multiple monitors.

Last edited:
Back