Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Tablet choice help

Reaction score
Hi, within a few weeks/months I will be buying a tablet. The main intent I have for this tablet is just for general use, browsing the web, watching videos, light gaming and just mainly for portable use. I have been interested in iPads for a while, never bought one because I have never really had the budget to get one (looking more towards the iPad Air) but recently I have just seen the Samsung Galaxy Tab S and it has really got me thinking which device I should actually get.

Both devices will obviously do what I require of them, I'm just wondering.. what one would you personally pick and why?

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Well, if you plan on playing the large games, such as Asphalt 8, Real Racing 3, etc. then go for the Galaxy Tab S, but if your just looking to play something like Temple Run, or something that is small, I still would go Galaxy Tab S, because Android isn't locked down like iOS is, but it is what you would like more. My personal preference would be the Tab S.

Reaction score
Yeah man it's pretty much your preference.

What kind of phone do you use?

Apple is more locked down, so don't think you'll really be able to customize if you get an iPad, besides a few winterboard themes.

They will both basically do the same things, usually galaxy devices have better benchmark scores than apple devices.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Yeah man it's pretty much your preference.

What kind of phone do you use?

Apple is more locked down, so don't think you'll really be able to customize if you get an iPad, besides a few winterboard themes.

They will both basically do the same things, usually galaxy devices have better benchmark scores than apple devices.
The galaxy devices have better benchmark scores because the newer ones have 2gb or 3gb of ram, along with octa or quad core cpu, with good graphics too. apple is still on dual core cpu's with only 1gb ram or less.

Reaction score
Well, I had a Xoom before, and a Galaxy Tab. Today I have only the iPad 2 32 gb.

Well, I like iPad because of it stability, even being a old version, it runs GTA San Andreas perfectly, and every game I put into it.
And this year we will have iOS 8 (newer update).
I preffer iPad over the others because I have an integrity with my other Apple devices, such as a Mac, and an iPhone (which I already sold).
I have my iPad since December 2011, and it still amazes me.

Even I not being to carefull with it, have minor scratches, but you actually cant see properly (just if you see a movie pretty close, for example). The size of iPad 2 for me is perfect, it is about 9", and I have finished GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas on it, without even using a joystick or something.
I'm currently at 7.1.1 with Jailbreak, with some OS costumizations, if you wanna some screenshots, just pm me.

iPad is AWESOME, specially if you are buying a iPad Air, which is newer than mine, that works everything!

If you are worried about bluetooth stuff, compatibility, and all, stay calm, because I have no troubles at all, and if I need some OS modifications, I use Cydia [jailbreak] (which I can change pretty much everything from system, from themes to dashboard changes)

I had iOS 6 for about since it came out (sep 2012), and then, last month I go to 7.1.1, which a team released jailbreak.
In the mean time at iOS 6, it was perfect, no lag at all. I formatted and upgraded because my space was about to end (I had more than 100 applications, 1.000 pictures).

Well, I would choose an iPad. Like I always say: I preffer androids for smartphones, but for tablets I would never go to an android.

Remind guys, this is my opinion only, if you dont agree with something or all of that, feel free to reply.

Reaction score
All tablets use basically the same components, and have very similar specs. My advice: find the specs you want and buy the cheapest that is running the latest software. For me that was a nexus. If you have money to throw away, then by all means get an apple one, but seriously the number of lawsuits they throw at other device makers, clearly even apple think all tablets are the same too...

Reaction score
All tablets use basically the same components, and have very similar specs. My advice: find the specs you want and buy the cheapest that is running the latest software. For me that was a nexus. If you have money to throw away, then by all means get an apple one, but seriously the number of lawsuits they throw at other device makers, clearly even apple think all tablets are the same too...
While I agree with that, I did buy a cheap tablet a year back, but because I bought it so cheap I knew it was going to be bad, the device lagged turning on, locking, it basically lagged doing anything. That's why I'm sticking to trusted brands I.e Samsung, LG etc...

I have seen the nexus tabs, whilst they are quite cheap, the only one I would be interested in is the 10 due to its large screen, the only problem I find with it, is the large amount of excess plastic around the screen. I like design as well when looking for products, I'm not going to be carrying a device that I personally find very bad looking, that's why at the moment I use the Nexus 5 as my personal phone because it looks good and its build quality is rather good.

Reaction score
I believe Dan has a nexus 10, I use a nexus 7 and while the bezel is large I don't really notice it tbh. We use Asus transformers at work which are quite cool, the keyboard dock basically makes it a laptop, but with awesome battery life. They are 10inch, kinda expensive though but if you are even considering an apple one price is already irrelevant. Think they just released a new version too.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
If you want a device with custom roms, go with nexus 7. But it only gets about 20K in antutu while the evga tegra note 7 gets like 34K, only issue with the tegra note 7 is that there is absolutely no custom roms available.

Reaction score
If you want a iPad I would advise waiting until they have their product release's conference this year, then buy the new one :).

I got a GoTab and it runs andriod, and it is poopie, lags doing the simplest of tasks even web browsing. It only was 99 quid but still lags, would expect something that you pay x amount to do a job without lagging to throwing at the wall mood.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Personally, I would choose the Android device. In my opinion it is better because it has many more customization options. If you have a lot of money to spend, you might as well get the Galaxy tablet. If you are somewhat limited, look into Nexus tablets. They are cheap but are very nice. Plus, they get updates much faster than other devices (for example, Android L is available on the Nexus 5 smartphone and the Nexus 7 tablet).

Also, make sure you will actually use your tablet. I got a Nexus 7 for Christmas and I really thought I would use it. However, I rarely use it and I feel a bit ashamed that money was spent on a device that gets no use. Instead of using my tablet, I use my smartphone, because it is always on my person and it feels easier to use.

Share what you decide!

Back