Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Upgrade or replace?

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
So I have this old Dell computer that I've had for the last 10 years (literally since I was about 6), and in all honesty, it sucks. It's abysmal. It has no excuse to even turn on anymore. In fact, it's just been sitting plugged in in the basement over near a wall for about 2-3 years. I have two other desktops and a laptop that work just fine and are fine for mainstream use. The thing is, recently I've been considering using the old desktop as a linux box. The funny thing is, it can't even handle that. So here's the question... seeing as it's not going to be used for anything hardcore, and probably won't ever even have a monitor attached to it (PuTTY ftw), would it be better to just go through Newegg and replace the outdated hardware, that being the RAM (768 MB at the moment... weird number), the processor, and motherboard, with some more uptodate but still for all practical purposes crappy hardware, or would it be better to just get a whole new box for $450 or something?

When I say crappy replacements, I mean like... the cheapest stuff on newegg that's been made in the last 5 years and doesn't have a reputation for breaking.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
if you make such changes most likely you'll have to throw in a new PSU too, and there you have already a whole new rig, except for graphic card
replace and upgrade would amount to the same thing : replacing it

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Yup, your only choice is to donate it to a school or something, and just replace it. If you need help figuring out a computer and a price range you can work with, just give a shout and start up another post!

Reaction score
Well give us a full list of system specs first so we an see exactly what we're dealing with. Depending on the specs then we'd see if upgrading would even be viable. Also the 768MB of RAM would come from 1x512MB and 1x256MB sticks, unless you have 1GB and 256MB is being used as shared memory for the video.

HAARP
Reaction score
If it's 10 years old and you have the $ then just go ahead and buy something new for $450.

e.g
Resonance03 - Upgrade or replace? - RaGEZONE Forums

+cooler
$451

Last edited:
Back