Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to be back.
Reaction score

At the Microsoft Careers on line Job site, Microsoft has release some specifications about Windows 8.

” Are you passionate about software performance? Are you excited by the potential to have a positive impact on hundreds of millions of users, by improving their Windows experience? The Windows Fundamentals Performance Test Team is look for a software design engineer who can help us do just that – make future releases of Windows faster, smaller, and more responsive than Windows 7. OS Fundamentals, and specifically performance were a major area of focus during Windows 7 and will be just as important if not more so, during the development of the next version(s).“

So how does this pan out? If you are a developer, and you are looking at OS development, your focus would be to change and improve Windows 7 to create a new operating system, Windows8. The next question is more interesting, how do you make Windows 8 faster and smaller and more responsive?

Given that the technologies that are under development and have been available to Microsoft, such as 128 bit processors with 6,8,12 or even 48 cores, the operating system will look very different if it is trying to work with these features. There are other technologies, for instance Solid State Drives will be replacing the traditional rotating head hard disk drives. Another technology is the light (photon) based circuitry that will replace traditional wiring.

Touch and voice technology which came of age in Windows 7 will be in Windows8, and it will be interesting to see what the development will look like.

Embedded Systems, which need a stripped down version of the full operating system could benefit from the new more compact Windows8 version.

For more information about some of these technologies see:

Solid State Drives A Quick Review

LightFleet Delivers a Light Based Server to Microsoft

Webkit2 for Multiple Cores Architecture

Windows7 Component Embedded System

See Source: Microsoft Careers Global for the full job description.
Windows 8 To Launch In 2012?

Windows 7 isn’t out the door yet, but Microsoft seem to be making good progress with Windows 8. A roadmap slide from Microsoft’s Italian subsidiary has Windows 8 penciled in for a 2012 release:

Note though that Windows 8 is down as approximately 2012. Even still, it looks like Microsoft are sticking to their 2.5-3 year release cycle, with Windows Vista launching Jan 2007 (it was late), Windows 7 in October 2009 and Windows 8 in 2012.

Windows 8 is also denoted as ‘codemane Windows 8′ – does this mean that ‘Windows 8‘ will not be called Windows 8?

I’m expecting big things from Windows 8. Although Windows 7 is a great release and adds several much needed improvements to Windows Vista, it’s still too familiar for me and doesn’t feel ‘new’ enough and I’m looking forward to getting a new OS to get my teeth into!

Last edited by a moderator:
Saucepan
Reaction score
I don't see the reason of why making another one again so early.

Reactions: 343
Rip Akaruz
Reaction score
Ive got windows server and windows server R2 ;) i want that windows 8 :D ;D :L then i would have an amazing system :D
also have a windows server 2003 (r2) key but cannot be bothered with it :)

Reaction score
Microsoft isn't even trying anymore. They are just throwing poop out of the door to make money. >_>
That's why I installed OSX in my PC... I just love it, i've using Windows since 95. Anyway I've installed all the OS I can run on my PC.
Anyway, a windows copy is necessary to "work" or play games.
So now I'm running W7 x64, WXP x*** Ubuntu, Debian and now OSX, and now i've to install a windows 8? damn

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Will it be also "easy" to be installed like Windows 7 x64 Professional ?
Who in the world coud've known, that you need a Master in Informatics for a stupid Windows installation >.>

Subscriber and Mod!
Reaction score
To my opinion, I bet this release wouldn't be as good as Windows 7, this is my observation

95 - not very good
98 - big hit
ME - not very good
(some random one)
Xp - big hit (i'm still using it)
Vista - not very good (a step up from XP and the rest but lots of problems and annoying messages)
Win 7 - pretty good to ME!
I also doubt it would be called Windows 8, well it changes every time from ME - XP - Vista - Windows 7 - (well hope they make a good name for it :) )
Well you never know, probably in the old times they didn't have that many resources, this new one might even make it popular than any other versions

WHOOOOOO
Reaction score
I personally feel that win 7 was a little of a "rushed" job to correct errors vista made, with win 7 out of the bos, win 8 would optimise and make windows a better experience. Of course, the planned dates are just rumours, so I don't really bother about these things unless the rumors sprouts out on a huge number of sites.

Reaction score
Microsoft isn't even trying anymore. They are just throwing poop out of the door to make money. >_>

You just stated something completely incorrect without any evidence

On Topic, Windows 8? Nah, I doubt it. It's not even official, probably some guy saying random poop to get attention.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I dont like the name windows8...
I would prefer a new futurious name
If it would be called windows8 that it is the first name which is continueing the row :S
Does anybody understand?
I'm german :-(

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Yeah man...
This name is to normal because there is the risk that you mix windows 7 up with windwos 8.
So i thnik also its a fake.
Microsoft want to give the new windows a name you can remember

-_+HumanRageZoner+_-
Reaction score
sick windows 8. zzz i'm just using windows 7 ultimate licensed worth around 320$ then windows 8 will come in 2012., hakhak much better if they name it WINDOWS XXX ahahaa...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back