Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Airplane :)

Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
Made tonight (fast).. Will finish it later :)
ScreamingFox - Airplane :) - RaGEZONE Forums

Master Summoner
Reaction score
- looks good but for some reason the tail looks a bit too big when looking at it from the aerial view.
- The flames from the thrusters could be better I think

Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
The plane is (supposed to be) a 'Gloster Meteor'.. There really are a whole bunch of tiny details that i noticed and other stuff that i just did not modeled yet, i will correct the tail's format and cross section, thanks for noticing :).. Some parts and angles are difficult to find on images (reference images) XDD..

The 'flames' are just a 'jet' really... It is an old scanline material for aura.. I just had the idea of using it to imitate a jet. just for fun indeed =D..

It was modeled on 3dsMax, but the technique (polygonal modeling) could be used on any other 3d application, such as Blender :)..

Last edited:
Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
I did not mapped it yet (to apply a proper texture, it is just a reflective material), since i have a lot of modelling to do and corrections (the jets look a lot bigger on photos and films, etc.. and the reference images are completely devoid of the specific parts and details such as of 'where exactly the landing gear comes from (on the wings)', etc..).. In fact, it has some smoothness where it is really supposed to be 'hard' and vice-versa.. It has really a lot of modelling to do..

The 'mapping', in resume, is like telling the model where and how the textures are going to be applied.. It is a laborious/tedious task most of times, and it is mandatory to do only when the modelling is done, since messing with the model would distort the texture, especially major topology modifications..

A 'rig', in resume, is a logical hierarchy made to control animations on 3d stuff..

I am going to 'cut off' some parts of the 'fuselage', to make the landing gears and flaps (which will have a neat rig, etc..) and start modelling the cockpit.. I thought of making a rig for an ejecting seat XDD..

Last edited:
Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
The 'airplane' is like a 'canon' (ex:"fundamental") to 3d modelling, there's some 'classic' stuff to model on 3d, stuff like 'a car', 'a tank', 'an airplane', 'a cat/dog' and 'a human face', a 'medieval European sword'... Those are 'classic' models to model XD (and others i forgot, of course.. those regarding '3d disciplines' such as games (you would just HAVE to model a zombie/monster character) and architectural visualization (you would model stuff like pillars, big structures, etc..) .. But i never got much of the desire/drive to model a plane (i mean i kind of model the Dragons which those planes try to fell, etc.. XDD).. But some guy (would be a paying client.. perhaps, on the future, etc..) said that he was going to need a ('paid') model of a Gloster F-8 Plane.. And i tried to see if i could get it to test mi-self, before trowing my ludicrous prize at his face hehehehe.. =D..

(yes, whenever somebody asks for a ('paid') model of something, i try to model it 'fast-wise' to see if i can 'model it commercially' and stuff)

..I like to model stuff on 'phases', like, this one is the lowpoly or 'fundamental' phase (lowpoly modelling and Smoothing Groups and Material ID's (first) separation).. Now (in fact, perhaps tomorrow because of wine and woman =D.. yes woman just love my fur and my licking-and-gently-biting (not necessarily in this order of events) and stuff XD) i have to conform it properly to the blueprints and make lots of 'fine' corrections to make it 'just like' the real one..

The history of 3d modelling and aircraft development is so intertwined, that nowadays, on airplane designing, people often use a famous 3d software from Dassault (the SolidWorks).

(The same to cars, and the AutoCad (this is why it is 'auto' =D))

(but i model on non-CAD programs.. I prefer the 'artistic' ones such as 3ds, Blender, etc..(but you can make measured stuff on 3ds/Blender.. It is just that the program was not really made for it, etc..))

I just got home and would do a scene with this plane firing some laser blasters and stuff..

But i didn't even modeled the gun holes yet XDD..
(i mean some (neatly made) holes on the fuselage, to make way for the guns, etc.. it is on the 'nose' of the plane, just below the cockpit region... :)..)

It seems a little complicated, but i really made it in kind of 3 hours and with a long dinner interval to it XD.. I could make a video about this modelling but i have to mature this knowledge properly before passing it onwards..

Edit: Well.. to resume.. i'm leaving to a 'party' here at home :).. Hope this song would synthesize my 3d 'workflow' XDD

(you know the 'oo-hoo-hoow'.. replace it for 'in 3-deee'... heuhuehueuhueuhuehe XDD)

Last edited:
Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Wo. Never seen this thread. Took my mind off at what you posted. Nice.
I see your're a model designer. Good job.

Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
A song from 'Marcelo D2' said that some guy 'climbed' a 'favela', drank 'cachaça' (Brazilian sugar cane brandy), smoke 'maconha' (ganja, in Brazil you say like 'Mac-conn-Nyah') and attained 'The Grace' (it rhymes very neatly in pt).. Now I am very close to attaining the grace.. with a mischievous foxey lady.. which is sooo, but sooooooooo much more foxier than i.. =D..

But if anyone wants to model at this level and can't i would be glad to help.. I know that wanting to model something and being technically incapable of is very disturbing.. So if anyone wants i will make a video about this kind of modeling ('of a plane'). This way i will end any discomfort arising from seeing any of those images :).

"cheers" :*

Last edited:
Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
Blender (also known as "The Free One") kind of fried mi brains yesterday and so today i decided to give it a little break.. So i revisited that 'old unpainted Gloster' XD..

Testing a 'Scanline-carpaint'.. XD.. It has all the 'flaps' neatly separated (so neatly that you barely can see it if it is aligned XDD (will work on the proper textures later ;d)..

:)

Now only lacking the landing gear and the MIDI-rig-Hollywood-style (and obviously the texture details) XDD =D..

Last edited:
Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
Hanging on the hanger xd.. Now its 'dreamy-blue' XD.. OOH! This scenario was soo hard to model =D..

(Matte shadow test =D)

Edit: I liked this one :).. First time that i did that matte/shadowing stuff.. Gives it a 'whole other feeling' when you fix a model to a photo :)..

And yet another trip :)

obs:(BG images from internet and untagged (i don't know who took the photos..))

Last edited:
Master Summoner
Reaction score
Hanging on the hanger xd.. Now its 'dreamy-blue' XD.. OOH! This scenario was soo hard to model =D..

(Matte shadow test =D)

Edit: I liked this one :).. First time that i did that matte/shadowing stuff.. Gives it a 'whole other feeling' when you fix a model to a photo :)..

And yet another trip :)

obs:(BG images from internet and untagged (i don't know who took the photos..))

IMO:
- It looks really blurry. Try and see if you can decrease that
- Its really blue. You should make the landing gear a darker blue or a gray color

Other than that, I cant find any other "flaws" that I could suggest to fix. Good job (8/10)

Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
You mean 'remote control'? XD..

Thanks :), i'll map this one, so soon this will have some nice texture on it..

(telling about the 'cardboard' technique to a friend XD)

(very quick cut, just an example.. but very funny XD)

Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
Yes you got to make the textures for the things you create.. Making textures is nice/fun, but i hate mapping (unwrapping all the geometry to a 2d plane, in order to be able to put the textures, etc..), it is not hard but it can be very laborious .. :)..

All of those renders of the planes were actually without textures, but they have a nice simple material.. A 'material' is different from a 'texture', a material is a shading logistic, whereas a texture is a drawing/image for texture.. You can use several textures to compose a nice material.. And there are some 'procedural' maps(textures), like that one on the camouflage, it is a procedural map (an image created by a mathematical formula)..

If you have separated the parts, you can already use a material without a bitmap texture to it, to use a proper texture, you have to map the object..

Below are some materials tests on that gloster f8.. Materials can be easy or harder compose:

Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
"Boss-Like" interactive controlling with scripts and Motion Capture (it is very poor because it is being performed on a keyboard.. I am doing it initially on keyboard since 'if the guy is messing with a computer, most likely he has a keyboard' =D.. But the control can be way richer when controlling with a Joystick, and ideal if it is controlled with MIDI faders ('slider'/'dimmer') and buttons (like, controlling how much of the turning, instead of the poor keyboard controlling possibilities ..)..

I will make it capable of 2 simultaneous airplanes, so i can 'air battle' with a friend on a larger screen =D..

Video demonstration of this rig (it is lacking some stuff like the landing gear and flaps motion... but the hardest part is the 'gain' given by the logistics on the script.. (that is basically what i say on the video... =D))

(Video is in Portuguese, but could be muted.. I do not make much sense at all =DD.. XD)

Good thing is that i thought that this was a 'pretty standard' rigging possibility (I was like "Oh, Everybody knows it.." and etc.).. And then i found out that this kind of controlling is possible only when using a thousand-dollar plugin (it is a script just like mine but it is encrypted and etc.. XD)..

Back