Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

First ever attempt at Photoshop - An eye

Reaction score
Here's my first attempt at using Photoshop to sketch...

LYMXSGG - First ever attempt at Photoshop - An eye - RaGEZONE Forums

It took about 5 minutes and the idea was to get a feel for the Pen/tablet (Bamboo) and also a feel for Photoshop's brushes. It's concept only of course.

I am completely new to this and would like to learn more. I've done 3D art some years ago using Poser, Bryce and various CAD softwares, but I'm totally new to Photoshop.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
@Wucas, you draw don't you? help a Kreeate out!

Im sure there are better programs than photoshop.

For a 5min draw, this is really nice. You should practice more.

Reaction score
You can use sumo-paint, firealpaca and manga studio. Deviantart Muro is pretty cool too, though it's browser based. Illustrator is fine too, hell it even auto corrects your hand shakes thus you can draw perfectly straight lines, so does Flash. Photoshop is for more advanced tablets with pressure support and advanced designers mostly. Don't start drawing with that. Hell even a pen and paper is better.

The eye looks alright(with the exception that instead of a circle it seems square, and you have practically just drag a line here and there until you thought it looks somewhat like an eye), but when it comes to drawing it requires more then 5 minutes even if you are a pro. First you do a sketch, then you improve it gradually, leaving the final product as perfect as possible.

Just as human beings, drawings also have skeletons. "We" call these a sketch, and it helps you create shapes, humanoids and whatnot. This way your eye won't turn into a square etc. Looking up a few tutorials on (biggest artist community since the internet), and learn straight from the pro's. :)

Overall I am sorry, I'm not good with explanations, I know how to draw but I started since I was very young, and although I never had the founding for a very expensive drawing tablet, I used to do it with the traditional Pen and Paper.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You can use sumo-paint, firealpaca and manga studio. Deviantart Muro is pretty cool too, though it's browser based. Illustrator is fine too, hell it even auto corrects your hand shakes thus you can draw perfectly straight lines, so does Flash. Photoshop is for more advanced tablets with pressure support and advanced designers mostly. Don't start drawing with that. Hell even a pen and paper is better.

The eye looks alright(with the exception that instead of a circle it seems square, and you have practically just drag a line here and there until you thought it looks somewhat like an eye), but when it comes to drawing it requires more then 5 minutes even if you are a pro. First you do a sketch, then you improve it gradually, leaving the final product as perfect as possible.

Just as human beings, drawings also have skeletons. "We" call these a sketch, and it helps you create shapes, humanoids and whatnot. This way your eye won't turn into a square etc. Looking up a few tutorials on (biggest artist community since the internet), and learn straight from the pro's. :)

Overall I am sorry, I'm not good with explanations, I know how to draw but I started since I was very young, and although I never had the founding for a very expensive drawing tablet, I used to do it with the traditional Pen and Paper.

lol... like I said, it's concept only. Not meant to be anything of quality. I have a lot to learn still. Thanks for the suggestions though!
I just need to get used to the pen/tablet now. I used to draw a lot when I was in my 20's, but that's almost 20 years ago so I've grown rusty :p

I'd prefer to continue using Photoshop. It's mainstream and if I'm going to start learning a new software, I may as well go for something mainstream.
I agree that drawing on conventional media is best but I want to paint, and I don't have the space nor the budget for brushes, oils, palettes, easels and canvas.

Now to practise till my fingers bleed!

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
Illustrator + Photoshop = Heaven for drawing. but there are alternatives. It's all down to personal preference tbh.

General nice eye (I can not do better xD), maybe need a little more depth, in terms of shadows etc. But for a first attempt nice :D!

#PracticeTillMyFingersBleed - Trend it now!
Actually forgot about illustrator! Its in the name, how could u have forgotten illustrator?

Now you can tag me!
Reaction score
UPDATE :

The result of about 90 minutes, a tutorial and much frustration :

y7C0Bu1 - First ever attempt at Photoshop - An eye - RaGEZONE Forums

It's unfinished of course, but I need a break for now :p

Whaoo, nicely done mate!! That actually looks real, quite impressive you can draw that actually

God, I need one of those pens, and a bucket of your talent and I'll be good to go. Such improvement in such a short amount of time, is impressive. :):

Attachments

Reaction score
Whaoo, nicely done mate!! That actually looks real, quite impressive you can draw that actually

God, I need one of those pens, and a bucket of your talent and I'll be good to go. Such improvement in such a short amount of time, is impressive. :):

All credit goes to Stephanie Valentin for her awesome tutorials. You'd be surprised how easy it is to do an eye like that :)

Reaction score
UPDATE 2 :

An additional 2 hours spent on the eye :

qyXGXn1 - First ever attempt at Photoshop - An eye - RaGEZONE Forums

My paint curves are not smooth and steady but I hope to get there eventually.
The "redness" in the corners need to be tweaked to be less violet and more pink.
Need eyelash reflections on the eye still.
My shadows are pants and need a LOT or work.

I sure am having fun thus far :D:

Attachments

Custom Title Activated
Reaction score
UPDATE 2 :

An additional 2 hours spent on the eye :

qyXGXn1 - First ever attempt at Photoshop - An eye - RaGEZONE Forums

My paint curves are not smooth and steady but I hope to get there eventually.
The "redness" in the corners need to be tweaked to be less violet and more pink.
Need eyelash reflections on the eye still.
My shadows are pants and need a LOT or work.

I sure am having fun thus far :D:
Draw me like one of your Photoshop girls

Attachments

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Draws a sketch eye and no one bats an eye,
Draws a colorful one and everyone loses they're minds xD

Anyways nice!

Back