Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Mechanical worm/tunnel digger (rigging study) XD

Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
Making a 'mecha' worm/snake which is also a 'tunnel digger' for some rigging studies =D.. Each section has a central piece on which the little pistons are 'magnetically' attached.. And also a spinning part that embraces that central part, this spinning parts have 4 compartments that when open become sort of a 'drilling' piece or mean spinning arm attachment.. (i have not made the spinning motion yet.. i will perfect the parametric 'walking' before adding the spinning to the parts..).. The opening of the compartments is made with a MIDI device, i can control individually or all at once (for the compartments to open at the same time, etc..)

ScreamingFox - Mechanical worm/tunnel digger (rigging study) XD - RaGEZONE Forums

(the joint)

ScreamingFox - Mechanical worm/tunnel digger (rigging study) XD - RaGEZONE Forums

(with the 'compartments' opened and turning up (that opening would give a nice robotic animation)

(Showing the 'cockpit' part.. that part closes and spins (it is detached from the 'cockpit/gun' part), and some errors (i already limited the rotation, so the pistons wont 'break apart', etc..)

Starting the parametric walking (it will walk by itself, with my parameters, etc.. :)..)

It was not intended for renderings, just for a rigging study, but i liked it.. perhaps i will put some 'dirty metal' or 'sci-fi' materials on it and make some renders of it :)..

Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
It was supposed to be public.. Obviously.

I corrected it now..

Reactions: 404
Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
Now with the opening of compartments :)

I forgot to make the secondary motion controls for the 'tail' (below/after the waist).. I was going to 'roll' it as it stopped.. xd.. So it is still lacking some moves xd..

Controls made with MIDI Motion Capture :)..

(it seems like it is distorting sometimes (but it really is not (distorting, etc..) i know, cos i rigged and animated it) funny isn't it XD... ) it has some contracting pistons and etc.. etc.. xd..

Last edited:
Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
I dreamed of painlessly conceiving this snake..

But this locomotion is mathematically hard indeed..

Then i dreamed of serpents, and of sea-serpents...

And all of this snake suddenly seemed way larger..

And with too much more of Hell to digest :)...

(inspirational song)

Over rock and under tree
Reaction score

I am writing an 'article' about this kind of parametric locomotion rig, i found my old Fox-rig (the first of its kind XD) and i am writing about the parametric rigging for bipeds and quadrupeds, but i will talk a bit about this particular rig (the 'trigonometrical expression' based snake/worm locomotion) also :)..

Check this example for a parametric walking/running rig (this animation has no keyframes =D)

It is done in a relatively easy manner, using your own hierarchy ('bones' or any other hierarchy), with this kind of rig.. and in a way that you can compose any kind of walking 'on the fly' XD..(or blend between walking styles like a boss (and I mean like, literally like a Boss =D), etc..)

Edit: The first 'content' page on the 'article/study' (I am still making lots of layout (justify alignement, etc..) and language 'syntax' corrections (English is not my native language =D))

(W.i.P) :D

Last edited:
Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I am writing an 'article' about this kind of parametric locomotion rig, i found my old Fox-rig (the first of its kind XD) and i am writing about the parametric rigging for bipeds and quadrupeds, but i will talk a bit about this particular rig (the 'trigonometrical expression' based snake/worm locomotion) also :)..

Check this example for a parametric walking/running rig (this animation has no keyframes =D)

It is done in a relatively easy manner, using your own hierarchy ('bones' or any other hierarchy), with this kind of rig.. and in a way that you can compose any kind of walking 'on the fly' XD..(or blend between walking styles like a boss (and I mean like, literally like a Boss =D), etc..)

Edit: The first 'content' page on the 'article/study' (I am still making lots of layout (justify alignement, etc..) and language 'syntax' corrections (English is not my native language =D))

(W.i.P) :D

Probably how long you take to finish 1 project, like the worm with the AI.

Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
This kind or rigging concept is to be applied to lots of different locomotion types (biped, quadruped, slithering, etc..), the thing you call 'AI' is really a 'rigging logistic'.. It can be applied to any character (biped, quadruped or slithering ('snake' or 'wormlike'))..

Those things that were hapenning on the animations tests are just a 'taster' of what you could do with your completely own rig when applying this concept :)

Edit: Oh and check out the serious (like Jung would say) meaninful coincidence XD.. When i was making my first studies with rigging, I jollyfully also searched about the Rig Veda, since I was studying about 'rig' and "Veda" means 'truth' or 'the truth about..'... This particular hymn is said to be the very 'essence' or the Rig Veda :).. Check the first paragraph of the hymn and compare it to the title of my article/study ('funny' aint it =D) =D... This calls for A ONE SERIOUS dedicatory page XDD

('sages' singing this hymn i mentioned)

Last edited:
Back