Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Photoshop - Save circle slices in their own files

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
I have created a circle in Photoshop CS6 that looks like this, except for the dark area includes an image.

How can I slice it so that each slice of this circle gets saved in individual files?

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Magic wand tool, tolerance 1px, then cut them to seperate layers.
If you've done that: File -> Scripts -> Export layers to files.
Thank you, but that doesn't work exactly as I would like it to work.
The issue is that there is a 2px wide line between each slice, so I would have to include 1px of that line in each slice.

EDIT: I ended up using this method, as I couldn't figure anything else. This doesn't end up in best possible result, so if someone has better methods, please let me know.

Last edited:
Master Summoner
Reaction score
Im pretty sure you can select the color black with a tool, then delete it. Once you do that you can use a tool that allows you to copy selections in an image (Im a GIMP user and I dont use Photoshop. I use a "Lasso Tool" to select certain areas I want to copy)

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Im pretty sure you can select the color black with a tool, then delete it. Once you do that you can use a tool that allows you to copy selections in an image (Im a GIMP user and I dont use Photoshop. I use a "Lasso Tool" to select certain areas I want to copy)
Deleting the black area causes magic wand to select the whole circle instead of one slice. This is why I have the black areas in the first place.
However, I used the magic wand method to take the slices, despite of the black area and it ended up pretty fine. It's not excellent, but due to lack of better experience, this is the only method I could get it to work with.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Seriously how does this belong in Tech? Its bloody obvious it belongs in folio. Moved...

Master Summoner
Reaction score
Deleting the black area causes magic wand to select the whole circle instead of one slice. This is why I have the black areas in the first place.
However, I used the magic wand method to take the slices, despite of the black area and it ended up pretty fine. It's not excellent, but due to lack of better experience, this is the only method I could get it to work with.

In GIMP, there is a tool like that as well, but it allows me to select the gray part of the circle with or without the black line there. You might need to set the threshold lower on the tool, so that it will select less. I am pretty sure there are some options like "Anti-aliasing" and "Feather edges." Have both of them on and set the setting for feather edging to like 4.5~. This will give you "smooth" borders when you are copying the slice and pasting it to another layer.

Here are some other ways to get rid of the "rigid" border on each piece:
- One way to fix this is by taking a soft brush and going over those areas with the same gray color. A soft brush has a fuzzy border with a circle in the middle.
- Another way is to select the slice, shrink the selection by 1, invert your selection, and then blurring it (Gaussian blur would be preferred).

Rey

The Shrewd
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Try one of them :

1-Quick Selection Tool.
2-Magic Tool.
3-Pen Tool. (BEST CHOICE)

2D > 3D
Loyal Member
Reaction score
This would be wayyyy easier in Illustrator, just saying.

Photoshop is meant for visual edits, illustrator handles this type of design work.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Try one of them :

1-Quick Selection Tool.
2-Magic Tool.
3-Pen Tool. (BEST CHOICE)
Pen tool obviously would be the best choice, but the same time the hardest. Magic Wand worked fine, so I'll go with that result.

This would be wayyyy easier in Illustrator, just saying.

Photoshop is meant for visual edits, illustrator handles this type of design work.
I started off in Illustrator, as I thought it'd be much easier too. However, I couldn't get the clipping mask to work since it works differently compared to Photoshop. I haven't hadt to use clipping masks in AI before.

2D > 3D
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Pen tool obviously would be the best choice, but the same time the hardest. Magic Wand worked fine, so I'll go with that result.

I started off in Illustrator, as I thought it'd be much easier too. However, I couldn't get the clipping mask to work since it works differently compared to Photoshop. I haven't hadt to use clipping masks in AI before.
Why use a clipping mask? Use the Pathfinder and the Align tools to cut each section into different path data

Back