Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Smurfs 'autumn' festival ;b

Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
'Smufs' scene i made for a 'weekly challenge', all the textures (except for the trees on the background) were 'drawn' in order to look more 'cartoonish' (and i modeled everything of course xd) .. :)

ScreamingFox - Smurfs 'autumn' festival ;b - RaGEZONE Forums

(reference image - - reference image -- remember i am 'a 3d guy' xd.. Although i will learn to draw and stuff.. I have to repeat a certain mantra a certain amount of times in order to draw properly (a number close to a hundred thousand times), but i already am getting used to the graphics tablet and making some basic textures with it and it is loveley since you don't get to spend paper and kill trees and stuff =D)

(The smurf, i did not had the time to make a proper rig so i made the poses "by hand" on the low poly versions (they have a nice smoothing groups separation so they can be very very low poly (for posing/animating purposes) XD)

(models on 3ds XD)

("final image" with a bit of PS =D)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nice! The portfolio rules says "Don't post anything if you can't make it creative" or something like that. But keeping that in mind you would never have any posts because most of users around here have no idea how to model nor to composite a scene. I can tell you really enjoy 3D modeling and whatnot, and a huge + for that for you. I myself would be dedicated to it if I had a better PC, and really the only thing I don't like about it is the "Unwrapping" and texturing objects. Regardless you always do a good job. Hence if I were you I would get a job in some companies such as Gameloft or something. Or why not creating my own android game that brings in a fortune.

Over rock and under tree
Reaction score

You are not the only to hate mapping objects.. I think nobody likes to map (to do the unwrapping, etc.).

Perhaps i will look for a job on this area (game/entertainment 3d) when i get good at it.. For this i have to practice intense meditation and study, when i awake the power of meditation, i will certainly make a good 3d..

2D > 3D
Loyal Member
Reaction score
The topology of the face on the low poly needs to be reworked a little bit, seems pretty messy, and your composting on the final render has some work to be done as well, but hey, it doesn't look too shabby in the end.

If you go this far it is almost a shame you didn't animate it if you know what I mean. Even if not all the characters move, even if a few do, it adds a whole other dimension to the piece.

Also what you may want to look into is using 3D and 2D elements together. A lot of animation today is actually created using 2D scene work with 3D characters using cell shading as a method of making it appear as if it is hand drawn. Definitely something to look into.

Rey

The Shrewd
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Everything is nice, it's just the design of the smurf, or it's face are not that good.

Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
These smurfs got a bit 'slim' really xd.. I made them to render in a distance really.. it is an 45 minute character, not the best one really XD..

Jur13n: From what i know, the 'smurfs' were inspired on the little Psilocybe Cubensis eating termites, the (they are like small white ants) termites climb up the mushroom and eat the blue/purple stuff (the most active part of the plant) and then come out blueish XDD... People that love mushroom teas hate these 'smurfs' since they ruin the mushroom for tea making.. Probably the antagonist 'Gargamel' is a mushroom-tea lover... xd..

Edit: Thinking about it a bit.. Perhaps the smurfs are really those thermites, since they have only one female... XDD

Last edited:

Rey

The Shrewd
Loyal Member
Reaction score
They are perverts and they know it.

Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
Yeah i felt what you mean... Since i did only the males, and jolly dancing with no existing females, it was kind of natural to think about concepts such as a 'Smurf Gayness' (homosexual Smurfs).. And today i heard that it was one of the two reasons for the producers to introduce the character "Smurfette".. The other reason being the possibility to sell "Smurfette" dolls for girls, and an appeal for girls to watch Smurfs..

Remembering that i am no 'Smurfs fan' (i probably only like (fell amused) the 3 characters Gargamel, Pupa Smurf and Smurfette.. and perhaps that one with the bad mood... the other are merely secondary characters..) i just did it for the weekly challenge xd.. As a kid i watched it some times but no special feelings towards this cartoon (though i seen the comics (older) version today and it is quite interesting)..and i find it somewhat wrong that the only form of feminine beauty is a blonde vain woman.. I like redheads, black ladies and also woman with a slight overweight (slight please.. XDD (and surely not all those qualities on a same woman.. heheheh) and i consider the 'high heel' an complete aberration.. xd..

Last edited:

Rey

The Shrewd
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Well, make a female one atleast xD

Rey

The Shrewd
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I don't see it O_O ^

Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
A funny thing is that the 'Smurfette' is really an evil character... She has been created by 'Gargamel' (and much before the existence of 'Powerpuff Girls') using "Sugar, Spice, But Nothing Nice", and "the hardest of rocks as heart"... She was suppose to raise political dissidence/bloody competition and war between the smurfs, weakening them by hateful division or 'love dispute' to the point it would be easier to conquer them.. Initially she was 'evil and dark haired and not a real smurf' (she only spoke on the human language) but 'Pupa Smurf' did an 'alchemy session' on her and made her a 'real smurf' and capable of speaking 'smurf language'... She has this 'innate' evil nature, and even with the transformation, time and again she has betrayed the smurfs, and after some betrayals decided to leave the smurf village and live by herself.. The smurfs, leaded by "Pupa Smurf" had made an human sized 'golem' (with a 'old hags appearance') which spoke only the smurf language to attack Gargamel in revenge.

When asked, Smurfette stated that she would accept only Grouchy/Grumpy smurf as husband.

Smurfs are politically aggressive XDD..

Master Summoner
Reaction score
IMO:
- The background of the psd image looks a little odd. I think you may have over-blurred it
- I like the lighting of the smurfs on your 6th image; maybe add that into the psd image? (if you can)
- Make the stage a lighter brown in the psd image (like the first image) so that the brown instruments are more visible; darken the yellow instruments a bit more, so they can be more visible
- The psd image itself looks like a painting, which looks nice.You did a great job with creating the smurfs and the landscape

Rey

The Shrewd
Loyal Member
Reaction score
*HEAVY BREATHING*
Holy Shiz, never knew O_O

Back