Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Android/iOS Applications

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I've been searching around about which is the common programming language used in phone applications, and found that the most(or a big part of them) applications are coded in Java.

My question is: Do you think Java is the best programming language to develop phone applications?

If you have some kind of experience developing applications for Android or iOS could you tell me where to start and what should I look up first?

I want to start developing applications since most of the companies are using them for an infinite kind of stuffs.

Also, I found some pre-made softwares that help you to build your applications in less than 5 minutes, without knowing any programming language. Of course, these softwares just help you with simple applications, if you want something advanced I don't think you could do with them.

If someone want to know, the software I found is called App Inventor.

And here is an example on a video:

Note: This software is for Android applications only.

There is a way to develop application using HTML, CSS and JavaScript too as far as I know.

Last edited:

x42

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score

Otherwise Java is perfectly fine.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I have gained some experience in developing for Andriod and iOS, i would advice you to start gaining knowledge about which platform you want to start with. i would advice you Andriod if you already have Java knowledge, becouse you already know some things in java which makes it easier to apply them in andriod.

if you are gonna do stuff for iOS i would advice you to start learning about swift , since its gonna be the poop for apple devices

Anyway you should start building simple stuff first before you are gonna write the big stuff like game or other things.

i have used this website to gain knowledge about swift for ios: i hope this helps you a bit

Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
Android - Java
iOS - Swift (Objective C previously)
Windows Phone - C#?

Recently when doing Android development I always switch Java to Kotlin because I can't stand the tons of boilerplate code in Java. Having said that, I don't see Java anywhere :)

Now out of these I only develop for Android so I can't speak for others, but at least for Android the first step would be downloading the Android Studio and doing some hello world application on it.

All development environments make it easy to start up a virtual machine for your app so you don't even have to have an actual phone for it initially, but of course not all features work properly like that.

There are cross-platform ways to build applications as well if that's of interest to you (although I'd recommend just trying one platform natively first). Some of these are react-native and cordova and libgdx for example.

Super-Moderator
Staff member
Super-Moderator
Reaction score
I completely agree with @Negata. Android applications are mainly build in Java and Windows 8/Windows Phone apps are being made in C#. You can also create cross-platform applications with Java.

I, however, am creating cross-platform applications in . I'm developing mobile phone games in C# and C++ (C# in , C++ in ). I'm not that familiar with Unreal Engine as I'm using it for only a couple of weeks (still experimenting))

Anyway, I personally like Cordova. It's a great development environment. I did have problems installing the environment and getting the command line interface to work properly.

Reaction score
If Object C/Swift or Java were both compared, which one will you choose and why?
Now based on your personal experiences, do you think Apps programmed in Object C/Swift are better than Java?

Back