Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

C++ get APPDATA folder path?

Elite Diviner
Loyal Member
Reaction score
How would I get the appdata path and return it to a string so that I could use it while trying to download a file using the code below

Code:
HRESULT hr = URLDownloadToFile ( NULL, _T("http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=463496"), _T("I want to use the appdata path string here"), 0, NULL );

Any help is appreciated.

Ginger by design.
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Code:
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char** argv){
	char* appdata = getenv("APPDATA");
	printf("Appdata: %s\n",appdata);
	return 0;
}

Elite Diviner
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I need it to be the path aswell as a file name at the end so like

appdata + "\test.html", but i get

1>c:\documents and settings\mike\my documents\visual studio 2010\projects\mydlll\mydlll\maindll.cpp(33): error C2110: '+' : cannot add two pointers
1>c:\documents and settings\mike\my documents\visual studio 2010\projects\mydlll\mydlll\maindll.cpp(34): error C2065: 'Lappdata' : undeclared identifier

when i try to compile

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Code:
strcat(appdata, "\\test.html")
printf("Appdata: %s\n",appdata);

EDIT: oops

Last edited:
Elite Diviner
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Create a new string with the char*. The string class has the + operator you're looking for.

I end up getting an error that LAPPDATA is undeclared or something (Appdata = the string).

Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
No way to help you there not knowing what your LAPPDATA is. Try declaring it. :D

Be more specific in what exactly you tried and what exactly the error is.

Elite Diviner
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Code:
strcat(appdata, "\\test.html");
    HRESULT hr = URLDownloadToFile ( NULL, _T("http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=463496"), _T([COLOR="Red"]appdata[/COLOR]), 0, NULL );

and it errors up saying

Code:
1>c:\documents and settings\mike\my documents\visual studio 2010\projects\mydlll\mydlll\maindll.cpp(37): error C2065: 'Lappdata' : undeclared identifier

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Here's what I use...

Code:
CoInitialize(0);

wchar_t AppDataFolder[MAX_PATH];
SHGetFolderPath(0, CSIDL_APPDATA, 0, SHGFP_TYPE_CURRENT, AppDataFolder);
wcscat_s(AppDataFolder, L"\\test.html");

If you don't have a good C++ compiler like vs2010, you might not have that particular wcscat_s override - change it to wcscat_s(AppDatafolder, MAX_PATH, L"\\test.html");

Back