Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Beginner

Reaction score
I'm looking to make games from home. I got a lot of time on my hands and I was wondering what language is the most beginner friendly. I was thinking Java. Any ideas? Any tips?

cats addicted
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to make games from home. I got a lot of time on my hands and I was wondering what language is the most beginner friendly. I was thinking Java. Any ideas? Any tips?

When you want to learn a language, do NOT start with games. You can start with games when you learned the language for years as its one of the hardest things you can do.
Also it whould depend on what you want to create. When you want to do textadventures, use basic. When you want to do heavy graphic stuff with networking, huge databases, multiplayer ... do c# or c++.

Java is not really a good language for games itself. Its perfect for multi OS servers but not for the gameclients.

◝(⁰▿⁰)◜Smile◝ (⁰▿⁰)◜
Developer
Reaction score
Start with unity & C# you'll be fine. However I suggest starting with C# first before you start with unity.

Ben

Developer - JS
Developer
Reaction score
I would say start with C# as with visual studio you'll really see your changes taking an effect when you start with java you will only see the command prompt at start most likely when you start with the basics

Reaction score
If you're just learning how to code, and are interested in making a game, I suggest you start by . I used this technique to teach programming to 11-year-olds. It's easy to feel overwhelmed, which may discourage anyone from learning to program. Start like this, then buy a book on game development, and make simple games first (like pong with 1 vs 1, then pong with a simple AI, then asteroids, then pacman- which has an AI more complicated than pong, etc). Small accomplishments are important- everyone wants to make the "next big thing," just take your time and make sure you reward yourself with small accomplishments. Good luck!

Last edited:
[emoji848]
Legend
Reaction score
C -> C++ -> C# -> Java

While that is true, performance wise, C and C++ are very complicated languages to start coding a game with.
In any case I suggest Game Engines such as Unity (c#) or UE4 (c++) as basis for your game unless you studied 3d information technologies and want to write your own engine for years ;)

There are also some source codes release here on this forum. You could download one and have a look how things are done

The Cat in the Hat
Legend
Reaction score
Even though I'm a big fan of C# I strongly believe that you should research which one would be the best for the project you're looking for (most likely you'll pick more than one). If you want to get started in building games start with 2D with Unity. You should be up and running in a couple of weeks. Check out this link for some introduction course: . I am not into game development as I find myself more of a core developer who just dreads when mouse interaction is required and hates anything that is related to UI. If you need any help with the code let me know.

Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
For a low barrier of entry and amount of support around hard to beat Unity as a tool. It's good for both 2D and 3D.

For sprite games my alternative would be browser as a platform with one of the more popular javascript game frameworks. The tool chains may be a little overwhelming though if you have absolutely no experience in web development.

Both of these provide what I find most motivating when trying out ideas for a game: very short time from the beginning to actually seeing something on the screen.

As the OP mentioned he's already starting with C#, that's alright since it's VS+C# you use for Unity scripting anyway.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I plant to make a 2d sprite game. Right now I'm learning C# and Visual Studio.

Sounds great, that's the direction I chose as well except I went with python(weighing my options between panda3d and pygame). Keep in mind that your first game is going to be simpler than pong, second will be simpler than brick break, and etc. Each small project builds upon and helps overall IMO.

Back