Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Which C++ editor do you use?

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hello there, I have started to learn C++, and I am wondering which editor do you guys use?

I am currently using Dev-C++.

There is something better than this one?

Which IDE do you recommend to start learning this programming language?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Buy (or try for as long as you want without any violation of terms, expiration date or missing features..) .. I like to be independent.. I typically don't like IDE's targeted towards any specific language.. I usually end up using more than one programming language on any given project, anyway.. Though I usually make software as a service, or software for my own personal use so I don't necessarily target any device or environment except for my own.. Or whomever I'm making a niche program for..

Last edited:
◝(⁰▿⁰)◜Smile◝ (⁰▿⁰)◜
Developer
Reaction score
Visual Studio 2015

Reactions: Ben
[emoji848]
Legend
Reaction score
This necro.... Yeah everyone on windows uses VS

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
On Unix machines use nano, on Windows you should go with Notepad++. It's much better to learn C++ right than using auto-complete.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Visual Studio Code Extension C/C++.

Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
Atom is the new sublime

Sure, with a grain of salt. It's much more prone to crash or slow down to inoperable levels... I wish it didn't have these issues and I could settle for it but right now I'm leaning towards VS Code which so far seems to be almost on par in terms of features and a bit more stable.

Reaction score
If you develop for Windows, then Visual Studio, in general, is the best IDE on planet - pretty much no matter which language u write in it (as far as it's officially supported, ofc). Personally, I never used (and most likely never will in my life) like 80 - 90% of VS features. Sometimes I just seek for relatively minemalistic/clean IDE, and code::blocks is perfect for c++/c. Good thing about code::blocks it's cross-platform - yes, ofc you will need to learn alot when moving lets say from windows to linux development, but at least, you would have familiar IDE, lol. Yes, there's that Visual Studio Code, but personally I don't like it (I used it clean, without c++ extension).

[emoji848]
Legend
Reaction score
This thread would've been better off using a poll... Else we'll have never ending Visual Studio / VSCode / nano and what not comments...

Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
This thread would've been better off using a poll... Else we'll have never ending Visual Studio / VSCode / nano and what not comments...
Sure and that would reveal how boring the thread really is. A simple one word answer with no explanation doesn't interest anyone - if we'd be into that we could just look up a market share diagram. The poll would be better, at least I wouldn't get pinged with a new post notification when someone wants to tag VS.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
A simple text editor it's good enough to learn, an IDE will have some magic that you must understand, when you understand the fundamentals and particularly the build system (how the compilers works and so on) an IDE will be less "houdini" and will help you a lot (the key here is to remove the magic, you must understand how/why things works)
Text Editors (That I have used in a daily basis 1yr+):Nano,Vim,VsCode,Atom,Notepad++
IDEs (That I have used in a daily basis 1yr+):Visual Studio,CLion,Code::Blocks

Back