Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

What editor do you use for PHP & front-end web dev?

Reaction score
I use Notepad++ for some snippets, but mostly I use Netbeans. The main reason why do I use Netbeans is that, because Netbeans auto-complete is perfect. Many other free PHP IDEs doesn't insert variable notes to auto-completed functions i.e if I write curl_setopt the completed function will be curl_setopt(), but in Netbeans it will be curl_setopt($ch, $option, $value); and also hovering the tooltip that appears shows me a documentation about the function.

Netbeans is free and I get free updates quickly instead of fapping around with cracks and stuff so I keep using it instead of any other "good" IDE.

Reaction score
I use Notepad++ for some snippets, but mostly I use Netbeans. The main reason why do I use Netbeans is that, because Netbeans auto-complete is perfect. Many other free PHP IDEs doesn't insert variable notes to auto-completed functions i.e if I write curl_setopt the completed function will be curl_setopt(), but in Netbeans it will be curl_setopt($ch, $option, $value); and also hovering the tooltip that appears shows me a documentation about the function.

Netbeans is free and I get free updates quickly instead of fapping around with cracks and stuff so I keep using it instead of any other "good" IDE.

FYI, you have the same functionalities in Atom too:))

Reaction score
FYI, you have the same functionalities in Atom too:))

Atom is a poop. Just saying. An Editor made in Electron that means (HTML + CSS + Javascript (Node)). It's heavy as duck and isn't fast to load. Sublime it's a really good alternative in Startup speed, Notepad++ also.

In terms of heavy performance I'd say Emacs or Visual Studio Code. I'd run some benchmarks by doing some heavily regex's with files with thousand of thousand of lines.

For non-gui editors, I really like Emacs (non-gui version) and Nano. VI and VIM are for people that don't know how to do things quickly. lol.. (My opinion).

Reaction score
Atom is a poop. Just saying. An Editor made in Electron that means (HTML + CSS + Javascript (Node)). It's heavy as duck and isn't fast to load. Sublime it's a really good alternative in Startup speed, Notepad++ also.

In terms of heavy performance I'd say Emacs or Visual Studio Code. I'd run some benchmarks by doing some heavily regex's with files with thousand of thousand of lines.

For non-gui editors, I really like Emacs (non-gui version) and Nano. VI and VIM are for people that don't know how to do things quickly. lol.. (My opinion).
Haha yeah, Atom is awful when it comes to performance, it's a very demanding editor and cannot process large files, but at the same time - it's very hack-able and it's probably the best editor out there when it comes to customization and features.

I personally like to use Atom for most stuff, and for certain stuff (like huge files) I use Sublime.
If only Atom had the same hack-ability and features combined with Sublime's performance and footprint.... could have been so great:X

Reaction score
Haha yeah, Atom is awful when it comes to performance, it's a very demanding editor and cannot process large files, but at the same time - it's very hack-able and it's probably the best editor out there when it comes to customization and features.

I personally like to use Atom for most stuff, and for certain stuff (like huge files) I use Sublime.
If only Atom had the same hack-ability and features combined with Sublime's performance and footprint.... could have been so great:X
I agree that it's hackable, but for me all those features it's like cinderela thing. It's just useless. Visual Studio Code it's also extensible. Idk if hackable. But as an example, the new GitHub Desktop App it's made in Electron. It's heavy as f*ck.

Reaction score
I agree that it's hackable, but for me all those features it's like cinderela thing. It's just useless. Visual Studio Code it's also extensible. Idk if hackable. But as an example, the new GitHub Desktop App it's made in Electron. It's heavy as f*ck.

You bash Atom for Electron and praise VS Code when VS Code is literally the same thing. Source :

Reaction score
You bash Atom for Electron and praise VS Code when VS Code is literally the same thing. Source :

I'm not praising Visual Studio Code. Just saying that in performance benchmarks he is one of the bests.

Electron makes he also bad in startup and other little things. But dealing with big files it's really fast with it.

Read better my critics. I wasn't saying that VS Code it's perfect. But good in terms with file manipulation, replace/find, multiple tabs opened. Memory management in VSCode it's kinda same for Atom. Some benchmarks shows that Atom uses lot more CPU.

Sublime Text in terms of performance (text manipulation) isn't good overall. But starts really quickly.

You will like this benchmarks.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Depends of how seriously the code is.

For high severity projects that need be styled, indented, organized i recommend those two: Phpstorm or Webstorm (if your project it's front-end use Webstorm, if is more backend use Phpstorm, since webstorm has more Angular, etc features)

For editing over SSH, and need be directly under terminal, i use Nano. For editing over SFTP, FTP etc, i prefer using Sublime 3 or Notepad++

For editing simple code files, our small projects that doesn't are so much important, or simply writing test codes, or fast codes i use Sublime 3.

Don't use Atom, is a poop. An Editor made in HTML + Electron? STFU LMFAO. It's lagging. HTML & Javascript are one of the languages that more consumes hardware resources!!

Don't use Eclipse, Atom, Windows Notepad or Netbeans, both are shenanigans.
Mhm you're right, Atom is really hardware consuming, so unless you have a decent PC I'd suggest not using it.
But something it's not; is poop.
That's like me saying Angular is some dead shenanigans no proper developer should ever use.
It's opinion based.

I'd suggest using Sublime.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
VSCode it's the best actually, it supports very well alot of languages and the syntax is pretty clean if you use VS.
Its just my personal opinion so

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I just need to fix up php sometimes, so notepad++ is enough for me

Reaction score
As of recently (several months back) I moved from Atom to VSCode, which seems to do the job perfectly fine, I'm very pleased with it and highly recommend it for anyone who wishes to use a "semi-IDE"/code editor, especially for PHP project and Front-End development.

Not entirely sure how effective it is compared to it's alternatives for other languages/technologies, however for front-end and PHP development - currently it is the best tool out there.

Put Community First
Reaction score
I use Dreamweaver just because I get the Adobe CC suite for free each month, otherwise I prefer Komodo IDE.

[emoji848]
Legend
Reaction score
I use AptanaStudio 3 it's an eclipse branch for web developement

I used to use that as well when I had to do web stuff at my old working place before we all switched to ASP completely. Wasn't too bad, considering it's based off Eclipse

Back