Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Equation/Example of Equipment Enhancement Code

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I'm developing an equipment enhancement feature for my game. It's a feature seen in some of the popular MMORPGs such as Maple Story, Dungeon Fighters, etc where equips get +1 for each enhancement.

I was wondering if anyone has any info on the details how of these were implemented. I have an idea of using a enhancement table for like level 1 would get x boost, then level 2 get x boost for each individual stat. This may be tedious.

Another option I can think of is to give each equip a growth rate for each stat.
Or just 1 growth rate number for every stat.

I'm wondering if there's some standard way this feature is implemented. Source code examples would be great if they are available to see how other MMOs implemented this feature. Equations would be helpful too.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Why don't you take a look at one of the leaked sourced here on RZ?
FlyFF perhaps?

And out of curiosity, may I ask what are you developing this in?

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I suspected some of the MMOs use a table. I looked at some files in Iris Online to see how it was done. They use a table of a few groups and all items fall into one of those groups.
I also took a look at Flyff's source code. It'll take me awhile to dissect it.

The game is being developed in Java server side. But the language really doesn't matter as much as the way the data and methods are structured.

I'm thinking of a growth rate equation method calculated from base stats and level. That way I don't have to group each item to a group or to a specific stat growth table.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Easy fomulars like base_stat*root(Equipment_Enchance_level)/(Equipment_Enchance_level) are usually used.

Google my name...
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I suspected some of the MMOs use a table. I looked at some files in Iris Online to see how it was done. They use a table of a few groups and all items fall into one of those groups.
I also took a look at Flyff's source code. It'll take me awhile to dissect it.

The game is being developed in Java server side. But the language really doesn't matter as much as the way the data and methods are structured.

I'm thinking of a growth rate equation method calculated from base stats and level. That way I don't have to group each item to a group or to a specific stat growth table.

The bit I've made bold really scared me. It does matter what it is coded in, since different languages have different properties that can improve things. Although a lot of the basic features and almost exact in most high level languages, things like sockets are very different...

I'd say for any server using a C language would be the best, since it can be dead simple to run have really good error management and you can cut out using mysql connections easily. Also cleanup programs can be used on them to cut out unnecessary code (e.g. ReSharper implemented into Visual Studios)

Also I hate Java servers, they always seem to be slow and clunky and need heavy caching to stop lag spikes, but the heavy caching then causes lag spikes... It's a volatile language in my eyes.
An example is Minecraft servers, they are Java built and on a high end PC it lags badly.

All the best,
Richard Komakech.

Back