Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Facebook Logins on a Pserver

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Title says.

Also if there is a pserver implementing such already, can I see the link?

Thanks!

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean. Doesn't facebooks API let you sign in through them?

Or are you meaning signing into the game server using facebook logins? If so I'm not sure thats possible through their API

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
I am thinking of a Facebook Login function ingame. As of now the only proposal is only Facebook Authentication which is much easier for newbies instead of verifying through an email account. I would like to know also if there are already private servers already implementing this system.

I plan to implement this on GunZ but my developer says to have a Facebook login, you need the Chromium source and plugins for it to be implemented.

Reaction score
I plan to implement this on GunZ but my developer says to have a Facebook login, you need the Chromium source and plugins for it to be implemented.

gago117 - Facebook Logins on a Pserver - RaGEZONE Forums

Anyway, it all depends on how you want to implement it. Using Facebook on your website is ofcouse way easier to implement than for example in the source of GunZ. I don't know how that works but one way you can do it is: use the Facebook API to let users login on your website and if they don't have a GunZ account yet, create one for them (choose username and passwords etc). All you have to do is link their Facebook ID to their account.

Reaction score
I am thinking of a Facebook Login function ingame. As of now the only proposal is only Facebook Authentication which is much easier for newbies instead of verifying through an email account. I would like to know also if there are already private servers already implementing this system.

Reaction score
Anyway, it all depends on how you want to implement it. Using Facebook on your website is ofcouse way easier to implement than for example in the source of GunZ. I don't know how that works but one way you can do it is: use the Facebook API to let users login on your website and if they don't have a GunZ account yet, create one for them (choose username and passwords etc). All you have to do is link their Facebook ID to their account.

+1 to this. Let them register with Facebook, or let them link a preexisting account to Facebook. Store facebook token alongside the account in your pserver's database, and whenever someone logs in again with Facebook, you can consider it the same as a normal login to your pserver.

I see the thought pattern behind thinking you may need Chromium for this. Unless I missed something, it looks like the only way for "Facebook login" to work is by literally directing the user to the appropriate facebook.com OAuth page. This is not uncommon for OAuth logins - Facebook wants to consume the user's facebook username/password; they definitely don't want to receive a user's Facebook user/pass from your app (they don't want your app to know about a Facebook user's user/pass).

You can allow Facebook login by opening the appropriate facebook.com OAuth page in the user's default browser from your game client or launcher. When they login on Facebook, you can have a web server set up on your end (for Facebook's redirect URI) that waits for Facebook to ping it, letting you know that a specific facebook user wants to log in to your server. Then your game client or launcher can automatically log them in to the appropriate account (i.e. the account on your pserver that the Facebook user is linked to).

The most unfortunate part of the user experience is requiring the user to login to Facebook from facebook.com. You could try to redirect them back to a URL that opens the launcher for them, or you could try to redirect them to a URL that just tells them to check their launcher (which should auto log them in after receiving the user's Facebook oauth info).

The hardest part may be automatically logging them in once they login via the facebook.com oauth link. You need something in your game client/launcher listening for a message from your web server (the redirect URI) that tells it to log in with X account, and you need to do so securely.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
One question also, does Facebook have a thing against private servers? Since private servers by definition is an unauthorized emulation of the original game. They could disable their APIs we use for the login purposes.

Reaction score
I'd be surprised if they had anything against private servers, especially since they're not illegal, just potential copyright or contract violations. That being said, I'm definitely not certain, and your question, if you want it earnestly answered, is best answered by a lawyer who is familiar with the Facebook API terms of use/service.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Everything is clear now. Thanks for your answers. :)

Reaction score
Implementing FB login should be easy as FB offers SDKs in all major programming languages.

After getting the token from FB, use the token to fetch email address of the user. If the email address is already registered you just have to log the player in. If it's new email address then tell the player to enter username and password that he/she will be using to play your server!

Back