Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Help] Converting 2k3 to 2k8 source

jow

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi can anyone help me converting this part of source its a deprecated code in my source "std::copy"

can i ask what is your code for this??

Code:
inline BOOL CByteStream::operator >> ( DWORD &Value )
{
	int sizeBuff = (int)(m_Buffer.end() - (m_Buffer.begin()+m_dwIter));
	GASSERT ( sizeof(Value)<=sizeBuff );

std::copy ( &m_Buffer[m_dwIter], &m_Buffer[m_dwIter+sizeof(Value)], LPBYTE(&Value) );

m_dwIter += sizeof(Value);

return TRUE;
}

edit:
someone advice me to use memcpy for std::copy.. the source and all library are all updated to vs2008 and games run but, some part of the game makes crash and i tried to debug it and it points to this part of source.

[emoji848]
Legend
Reaction score
Actually quite a lot of things can go wrong here.
You only showed a small snippet of code which depends on the "CByteStream" class so I'm not totally sure what the instance variables are used for.
I'm also confused about the topic of a code upgrading issue while you seem to have a problem with code stability.

Also is m_Buffer a vector or some kind of custom Buffer class?

More information is needed to help you on the topic, but most likely you run into a buffer overflow at some point as I can't see any kind of validation of "m_dwIter" here. (GASSERT with other assertion methods tend to work in DEBUG mode only)

Btw. Your question is wrongly tagged with [C] as this is [C++] code.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Isn't that assert a bit pointless? I mean as far as I know sizeof operator is an unsigned type so compiler will convert sizeBuff to unsigned while making the comparison. So if your sizeBuff is < 0 it'll ignore the assert and keep executing. You could try casting the return value of sizeof to int in assert.

[emoji848]
Legend
Reaction score
Isn't that assert a bit pointless? I mean as far as I know sizeof operator is an unsigned type so compiler will convert sizeBuff to unsigned while making the comparison. So if your sizeBuff is < 0 it'll ignore the assert and keep executing. You could try casting the return value of sizeof to int in assert.

Looks like he's trying to make sure the value being pushed into the stream doesn't exceed it's size. But as that one is completely ignoring m_dwIter that is used as index it's completely useless.
Also, as said, the ASSERT will probably only fire in debug mode.

Back