Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Help] Making a website

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey Ragezone,

I was wondering, what coding language is the best to make a business website in?
Does anyone know how to make a Photoshop website image to become an actually website?

Thanks,
Sab

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey Ragezone,

I was wondering, what coding language is the best to make a business website in?
Does anyone know how to make a Photoshop website image to become an actually website?

Thanks,
Sab

There is a number of ways to make a website. From click and drag builders. To From Scratch. There's ways to convert a photoshop image into a website as well. Using hotspots or whichever method.

Languages websites are written in: HTML, CSS, Javascript, and the backend is in PHP usually. Usually with a MySQL database.

Preference will dictate what tool you use. Me, I prefer Notepad++. Some will use builders, and some will use Dreamweaver.
From Weebly to Wordpress. You have tons of options for building a site.

Me personally. I built them from scatch with HTML, CSS. And after years of that. I now like frameworks, and doing backend PHP with Laravel framework. Bootstrap, YUI, and interface frameworks are nice for CSS.

Notepad is where it all began though.

E.g.

Code:
<html>
<head></head>
<body>
<h1>Hello World</h1>
</body>
</html>
Save as index.htm and open in your favorite browser.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
The photoshop PSD is for designing the website, to present how the site looks like to the client, without starting to implement it.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
HTML, CSS, JavaScript and PHP. Start by learning HTML and CSS, then move on to JavaScript and PHP.
There are several good places to learn them and where to start depends on you, how you think you will learn the best.

Some people might learn better from books, some people might want to go on courses and some people just learn by doing. I'm more of a person who learns by doing and what I did was I downloaded premade website templates and edited them. Whenever I ran into some difficulties I googled my way to the solution. There is no web related problem that google can not answer for you, at least majority of the times.

That being said, you should consider how do you think you'll learn the best. However, I could suggest you to try online courses at first. They're free and they teach you plenty without needing to download any programs, as all the coding is done in the browser.
Codecademy has several great courses that will guide you through the process of creating a website in small tasks. Here are few courses I picked that will teach you how to make a basic website and the next ones teach you JavaScript and PHP.

HTML & CSS:
JavaScript:
PHP:

Once you're ready to move on to coding your own website from scratch, just get a text editor you prefer the most. My personal favourite is Sublime Text, but some people prefer Notepad++ or even Dreamweaver.

Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
Well why don't you guys duck yourselves over PHP already. Seriously, you've got to stop calling it the standard way to do server side. Don't mind if you use it, just stop serving it like it's the way.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
The photoshop PSD is for designing the website, to present how the site looks like to the client, without starting to implement it.

Thanks for this!

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Well why don't you guys duck yourselves over PHP already. Seriously, you've got to stop calling it the standard way to do server side. Don't mind if you use it, just stop serving it like it's the way.
Well use Ruby then, whatever works the best for you. The reason I would tell someone to learn PHP is because that's what I've done and personally I see no issues with it. Also in the marketing agencies I've worked, they use PHP and nothing else, so it has been practical for me at work.
Even bigger companies use CMSes like Concrete 5 or Drupal and unfortunately these still are based on PHP.

Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
Well use Ruby then, whatever works the best for you. The reason I would tell someone to learn PHP is because that's what I've done and personally I see no issues with it. Also in the marketing agencies I've worked, they use PHP and nothing else, so it has been practical for me at work.
Even bigger companies use CMSes like Concrete 5 or Drupal and unfortunately these still are based on PHP.
Yeah I know, people still use it a lot. I just don't like one bit how careless answers encourage new to-be programmers to continue the PHP tradition. Just, I wish you (all) would include a "for example" before the word PHP here. Pardon my language, I've grown pretty tired of seeing this section never learn while the rest of the world has revolved around and around many times even in the past couple of years...

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Yeah I know, people still use it a lot. I just don't like one bit how careless answers encourage new to-be programmers to continue the PHP tradition. Just, I wish you (all) would include a "for example" before the word PHP here. Pardon my language, I've grown pretty tired of seeing this section never learn while the rest of the world has revolved around and around many times even in the past couple of years...

PHP is the most used. According to W3 techs and other websites, most websites are built with PHP. Some estimates from 75% to 80% of the market. With ASP.net and other technologies in the other 20-25%.

I've grown pretty tired of seeing this section never learn while the rest of the world has revolved around and around many times even in the past couple of years...

Honestly don't know what you mean by this. Most of the world is using PHP. Using CMS's built off of it like Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla, etc.

While other technologies might be better than PHP. PHP probably has the most support, the most market share. Also PHP is very similar to other languages like C#. So it won't hurt to learn it. I see plenty of job postings for both PHP and ASP.net.

Honestly. A programming language is a programming language. They all have their flaws and crap. Its all about what's available to make it better. And PHP has plenty of things going for it to help it grow and enough free frameworks, to fix its flaws.

Ragezone uses PHP.

Its a preference thing though. You could use any server sided programming language you want to. I honestly think PHP would be the easiest to learn though over any of the other stuff because of its availability and the amount of information on it.

If you're going to blast PHP, and swear and curse over it. At least prove what you're saying to be true. Or give what you would use instead.

Going and blasting an option. But offering no alternative is the fastest way to lose a debate. Lol.

Last edited:
Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
PHP is the most used. According to W3 techs and other websites, most websites are built with PHP. Some estimates from 75% to 80% of the market. With ASP.net and other technologies in the other 20-25%.
No denying that. While 100% of websites run Javascript, HTML and CSS in the frontend, PHP isn't 100% in the backend, so I'd like to see a mention of this when a newbie asks how to make a website.

Also, not my point, but called for:

While other technologies might be better than PHP. PHP probably has the most support, the most market share. Also PHP is very similar to other languages like C#. So it won't hurt to learn it. I see plenty of job postings for both PHP and ASP.net.
Actually, if you learn bad practices from your co-newbies, some habits may be hard to unlearn. But this is beside my point so let's move on...

Its a preference thing though. You could use any server sided programming language you want to. I honestly think PHP would be the easiest to learn though over any of the other stuff because of its availability and the amount of information on it.
Yeah and I do. I'm asking everyone to give newbies an option as well.

If you're going to blast PHP, and swear and curse over it. At least prove what you're saying to be true. Or give what you would use instead.
I'm not even cursing over PHP anymore. I'm way past it by now. To prove what I'm saying to be true? You already did that for me: PHP isn't the only option whereas HTML/CSS/JS are.

Going and blasting an option. But offering no alternative is the fastest way to lose a debate. Lol.
It's not a Ducking debate over PHP. I'm not the one blasting options here, on the contrary I'm only trying to bring more options on the table while pretty much everyone else seems to be fixated on PHP. If there's a debate needed it's going to be whether this section should be named the PHP paradise or be kept a polyglottal one, and as long as it's the latter I'm going to pop up every now and then to remind everyone that new programmers are very suggestible and care should be taken on providing correct information.

To sum up, I don't care if any of you uses PHP. I've even answered some PHP-related questions here where it was clear it was about PHP in particular so clearly I'm not saying stop speaking of it. Let's assume the percentages above are right, then if 75% of the world uses PHP then I demand that at least 25% of the time people are also adviced that there are alternatives.

P.S. I've been at this discussion way too many times already and didn't intend to make this a PHP hate thing here. I'm not against PHP in particular, instead I'm supporting the idea that there's a great variety of languages and everyone should use what they like, which to me also means that the choice shouldn't be made for anyone else, either.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I guess server side programming needs more mention than it was given. There's tons of ways to do it. And to be honest there isn't just one correct way.
This wikipedia article can give you a look into the matter -

There's many different ways to do things. And some are better than others for reasons. For instance. If you want to make a Chat application. Using HTTP polling, and using a PHP implementation. It might not be as good as say Python. (not totally accurate but hey just wanted to mention that it could be possible).

And so depending on your situation. Some things might be better than others. If you are running a Dedicated server. It might be better to using something other than PHP. Because it will give you more flexibility. If you used say Python. or ASP.net. You might get more power that way because those languages also can be used for desktop applications. Allowing for a mesh between a desktop and internet service. While as PHP is entirely focused on web pages mostly.

If you want to host your website though. And pay for hosting. You might run into some issues with that. Depending on how much you want to pay. E.g. might cost more to host a python solution than a PHP one. But this is negligible and not that big of a deal.

Python is great for newbies. But if i were you. I'd take a look at all options available. And pick the one that you like the most from glancing at it.

Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
Python is great for newbies. But if i were you. I'd take a look at all options available. And pick the one that you like the most from glancing at it.
And hey, nothing wrong with recommending PHP with reasons considering each situation.. as arguably it is the easiest to get started with on day 1. The right tool for each task and goal.

◝(⁰▿⁰)◜Smile◝ (⁰▿⁰)◜
Developer
Reaction score
There are a few options available, the best source to start is looking for the language you want to design your front and back end in.

The front end is simple; it exists out of HTML, CSS and JavaScript. This is supported by the browser. It's the only way of styling your website, you can even take it a step higher by using JavaScript to make your content dynamic.

There are a lot of solutions for the back end, you can use ASP.NET, PHP, Ruby and many more, the back end is a lot more complex then the front end because the users will not see anything of it. They are unaware of it. The most common back ends are PHP or ASP.NET others are used but less. ASP.NET is great if you don't know a programming language or you just don't want to learn to program while PHP requires some maintenance and can get messy if you're not familiar with the programming standards, the same applies to ASP.NET but it has a drag and drop.

If you're really unsure you can just install WordPress or a site builder to make your website, they are easy to use and have a lot of templates so you don't have to learn the back end. It's straight forward. I recommend using WordPress.

You can download WordPress here:
IHTML & CSS can be found on W3Schools:
If you want to use a different back end then I recommend doing some research on this.

I hope this helped you.

I play it straight up, yo
Reaction score

I found that these tutorials gave a very good introduction to HTML and CSS. While the front end is the simplest, keep in mind that the user will rely heavily on the simplicity and usability of it. Semantics are very important to keeping things clean, but more importantly efficient. I would suggest finding a reference to all the html tags, as is popular at .

For PHP:
The manual for it is probably your best source for getting started. However, as stated before, there are many different server-side languages that you can use. Personally, when I need to import or process say a file, I would definitely use something along the lines of Ruby. Overall, it comes down to what makes you most comfortable, so explore all your options and make the best of them.

Lastly, which is my own personal perspective, I would stay away from libraries that make things easier. I feel they blur the concepts of programming complex ideas. Making your own library is by far one of the best ways to learn and improve your code over time. Of course, if you're on a timer and need to get it done ASAP, libraries come in handy but try not to rely on them too much.

Back