I do not know what to do next

MemberRank
    Sep 2016 Join Date
    GermanyLocation
    3Posts

Hello, I am very frustrated.

Before I started programming, I always knew how things worked in theory, but very bad.
    I knew that there were if statements, loops, arrays, functions and classes, I knew that they where there, I knew how they worked but never did something on my own.

2 years ago I finally started to get into programming by coding by myself. I was already bored by all those Tutorials because I already knew the most stuff but just not the Syntax.
    In this two years I did not even learn anything. I know about if, else, while, for and arrays and I am able to do some simple stuff with them.

In 2019 I started to learn the basics of Python and after a long break I jumped over to Java in October 2020 for about 2 days.
    Then did some stuff with Arduino because of school and in December 2020 I started to learn some basics of HTML and CSS because I thought that could be helpful sometimes.
    Now I also picked up PHP in January 2021 and I am now able to Select and Insert Stuff with mysqli.

And I am not very happy with that progress.
    I have the same knowledge like 2 years ago but I know it in different Syntaxes.
    I finally want to stick with something and get deeper into it but I do not know what language I should choose and how I should proceed. I also never learned anything about frameworks, plugins, etc.
    I only know Arrays, Conditional Statements and Loops.

I have daily access to a computer since I am 6 years old (now I am 18), and I also used the computer almost daily.
    I am very interested and I really want to learn more but I just need something that will help me to get further.
    Now as I learned only a bit of PHP I planned to do a project but it would be nothing but just reading stuff out of a database and putting new stuff in.
    Its not what I want to do, because I do not feel like it will help me.
    I also think about learning a new language like C# or picking another one up again like Python or Java. Or should I learn Javascript with NodeJS and all those Frameworks?

I am just very confused and even after looking up many things (Where do you need which languages, Who is responsible for what, etc. I just do not know where to go on. I know I don't want to be a webdesigner. I want to really program something.
    But what?
    And how?
    What language?
    And how the hell do I get better, and not just do some fucking boring login system with php or boring passwordgenerator with python???
    Last edited by derLeo; 6 Days Ago at 03:41 AM.

MemberRank
    Dec 2016 Join Date
    131Posts

Re: I do not know what to do next

It honestly sounds like you need a project to do. From what I'm gathering you've been mostly been coding by yourself. Essentially you'll want to share your coding abilities to multiple people, so long as they do the same back.

As for languages, here's a good start.

You'll use PHP when you want to develop backend websites, HTML for frontend
    MySQL/MSSQL for database queries, again this is mostly backend.
    Python or Java are very useful to make beginner tools. Tools are essential to make your tasks easier whenever possible.
    If you already know Python or Java, take C#. You'll most likely enjoy C# a lot if you like crafting tools or GUI programs in general.
    Overall, C++ is the go to language for all things alike, but this area is very wide spread.

I think a better question to ask is, what do **you** want to do? You're in a MMO Dev forums, I assume you want to get into MMO development, do you have a game that you like? Perhaps you'll want to put in your coding abilities in that game if possible.
    Passionate x86 Reverse Engineer for Cute MMO games only
    Current Projects :
    MabiPro, Awakened Dungeon Fighter
    Audition Galaxy (WIP), Elsword (WIP)

MemberRank
    Sep 2016 Join Date
    GermanyLocation
    3Posts

Re: I do not know what to do next

Quote Originally Posted by Flipend0 View Post
    I think a better question to ask is, what do **you** want to do? You're in a MMO Dev forums, I assume you want to get into MMO development, do you have a game that you like? Perhaps you'll want to put in your coding abilities in that game if possible.
    Well I just knew that maybe here are some people that could help me. I am registered here because I wanted to look at Habbo Stuff 4,5 years ago.
    As I said I looked at many things and tried out a few languages but yes, I also think that I need a project to work on.

Advertisement