Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

C++ IDE's

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
So recently I took a C++ Programming class. This allowed us a year long license with Visual Studio. I now no longer have this license, but want to continue programming with the language.

So, anyone wanna recommend a good free C++ builder? I tried netbeans, and did not understand how to install a compiler, so if anyone would rather explain that, I would be most grateful.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
C++ setup for Netbeans:

I'd suggest using a text editor (Sublime, Atom, emacs, vim, etc) and having two terminal windows open (one for building and testing the binary, one for debugging). It'll allow you to write code without the need for something like Intellisense or autocomplete.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
You can use Dev c++ >>

Or even Eclipse >>

If I where you I would choose eclipse , specially because it's not only for C++ but also other languages like Java or PHP

Edit: You can always crack Visual Studio lol

Last edited:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
You can use Visual Sudio Experss, free for non commercial, if the license expire make a new one(the express license does not cost anything), the Express is LImited (No MFC support, no ATL support)

Also other IDE:
Code blocks is also available for windows and linux and easy to use

Eclipse CDT also availlable for windows and Linux is a good IDE too:

Last edited:
Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
If I where you I would choose eclipse , specially because it's not only for C++ but also other languages like Java or PHP
Plus it's terrible and always breaking down on you!

IMO you might aswell forget about bloated IDE's and just use a proper editor + separate build tools. Can't argue with autocompletes being useful though. If you do go with a bloated IDE, assert yourself that you're doing it for its features that increase your productivity, not because you're unable to get your build tools configured immediately. Understanding how they work is essential and it'll bite you in the butt later if you push aside learning about them and you'll always be at the mercy of your one single IDE and totally helpless when you encounter any related problems.

Aside from Visual Studio and Eclipse I've used CodeBlocks before and it felt alright but it's been several years since. Almost regardless of whatever you choose, do pick an editor (possibly in addition to the IDE) that lets you focus on the code and not your efforts of editing it (Sublime ftw), and get some understanding on building from the ground up.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
You can use the Express version of Visual Studio. Also, Check if your college/school has a partnership program associated with Microsoft. Many institutes do that.

Or alternatively, you can download a pirated version of the Professional version. Not a big deal.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
A) Express VS only contains Visual C++
B) I have Codeblocks IDE installed, need a compiler.
C) I know about the tutorials for Netbeans, but that explains on hot to incorporate one already installed.

So what I am saying is that I need a compiler to work with C++, console preferably.

Sorry for the late reply, did not have internet access there for awhile.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
A)The express of the VS for windows desktop contains C++, C#, and Visual Basic. If you want C++ for Console application, you can select:
New Project->Win32->Win32 Console Application->Go thru the wizard(dont forget to select in the wizard Empty Project).
Since you had visual studio before, I guessed you knew how to use VC++.

B)Install MingW and set a path to your mingw in yur compiler settings in codeblocks

if it is to hard, codeblocks provides package with mingw included(uninstall your old codeblocks and install your own version of codeblocks, and install a version with mingw included)

Last edited:
Elite Diviner
Reaction score
I finally got it working. CodeBlocks and VS2010 both come with compilers, and both of them were not working. After uninstalling Codeblocks and VS, then installed Codeblocks without any compilers, then installing MinGW manually, I was able to compile.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
If you are on Linux, i'd recommend eclipse, resource hungry, but never failed me as much as others did. it did fail a few times but, in the long term, its a good choice plus its easier to setup and develop large projects in c++.

DevC++ On Windows... THAT terrible thing started having errors and bugs around the 8000 lines code... very complex, lots of multi-threading and databases, i switched versions old and new, bugs have gone a way for a while with the older version but later new bugs came.... all kinds of syntax highlighting bugs "intellisense" bugs and simple crashes, build crashes, ide crashes...

but i find it to be one of the best tools to build small apps like launchers or updaters...

CodeBlocks was my final choice for my windows project, it worked bugglessly. and Visual Studio 2012, it was flawless compared to 2008 and 2010. many many bug fixes. im not sure if normal developers would experience the amount of bugs i did.

Why don't u learn some JAVA? u can create android apps easily with Eclipse, i won't recommend Android Studio as of now, my eclipse builds a project and executes in debug mode in 5 seconds, Android Studio goes up to 40+ seconds.... which is terrible if you are making small changes.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
If you are on Linux, i'd recommend eclipse, resource hungry, but never failed me as much as others did. it did fail a few times but, in the long term, its a good choice plus its easier to setup and develop large projects in c++.

DevC++ On Windows... THAT terrible thing started having errors and bugs around the 8000 lines code... very complex, lots of multi-threading and databases, i switched versions old and new, bugs have gone a way for a while with the older version but later new bugs came.... all kinds of syntax highlighting bugs "intellisense" bugs and simple crashes, build crashes, ide crashes...

but i find it to be one of the best tools to build small apps like launchers or updaters...

CodeBlocks was my final choice for my windows project, it worked bugglessly. and Visual Studio 2012, it was flawless compared to 2008 and 2010. many many bug fixes. im not sure if normal developers would experience the amount of bugs i did.

Why don't u learn some JAVA? u can create android apps easily with Eclipse, i won't recommend Android Studio as of now, my eclipse builds a project and executes in debug mode in 5 seconds, Android Studio goes up to 40+ seconds.... which is terrible if you are making small changes.

Already know Java, PHP, HTML(Doesnt mean much anymore), CSS, and working on Batch. Ive always used Netbeans for Java, just due to simplicity.

Back