Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Java vs C#.

Mythic Archon
Reaction score
I am just wondering whether or not I should continue with Java, because I'm simply bored with it, or should I go C#?

You can write your own personal opinions, I would love to read them. I just want to know what differences there are, and what is better in one than the other, etc.

Reaction score
C# and Java are both general purpose programming languages. There is nothing stopping you from trying new things. One is not better than the other, it is a matter of taste. Learning both languages at the same time is both possible and will teach you similarities and differences of two very similar programming languages. Furthermore, you will learn the concepts of programming in general more thoroughly learning two languages compared to one language at a time.

SSD

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
C# has more features than Java but nothing critical. If you got bored with Java you will also get bored of C#, or any other programming language. I'd simply find a new book or start different project but stick with Java.
Both languages are great and have a huge selection of learning materials.
It really, really doesn't matter which one you pick.

Mythic Archon
Reaction score
C# and Java are both general purpose programming languages. There is nothing stopping you from trying new things. One is not better than the other, it is a matter of taste. Learning both languages at the same time is both possible and will teach you similarities and differences of two very similar programming languages. Furthermore, you will learn the concepts of programming in general more thoroughly learning two languages compared to one language at a time.

C# has more features than Java but nothing critical. If you got bored with Java you will also get bored of C#, or any other programming language. I'd simply find a new book or start different project but stick with Java.
Both languages are great and have a huge selection of learning materials.
It really, really doesn't matter which one you pick.

Thanks for your input. I kinda realized that now. I may have used the wrong term... Java is getting "old". But, C# is similar, so it may get old, I am thinking of just trying C# anyway.

Thank you once again.

• ♠️​ ♦️ ♣️ ​♥️ •
Reaction score
C# has more features than Java but nothing critical.

i think c# provides things that might arent critical to be missed on java, but u will miss it in other languages, once u used it.

dear Liv3,
while java is platform independent and very slow c# will give u a syntax-similar language that is very very comfortable, fast, and strong in (only) the microsoft environment. i dont want to refer to mono yet, cuz its similar but different libs.
c# is using the .net libs, so u can do many high things with few lines codes. c# even can be used in the asp system of microsoft (web development). hell c# can even be used to develop games (xna is dead, but look at unity3d). by using the .net u can many pros like the ADO.NET entity framework (a framework that builds entity classes from your database, for every table one class, and allows u to work with linq expressions without writing one line SQL, so its simpler and easier, i.e. no more sql injection protection needed ... microsoft does the job ... and more).
then, how about building a windows service and the client to communicate with (WCF services)? very easy with c#.
i was able to build my own mini tcp chat service + client and could chat with myself by starting multiple instances of my client app. learning those took me just 2 weeks, and thats what i love about ms. microsoft cleary tries to hold everything similar (like winform to web development).

the only thing u must learn is to become a slave of ms. :S

Reaction score
C# and Java have similar syntax and pretty much do the exact same thing, C# has its advantages and disadvantages just like Java.

Hardcore reading:
If you would have read this wiki link, you wouldn't say they "do exact the same thing" ;)
After working a little with C#, you probably wouldn't want to go back to Java, because it's lacking a lot of nice features (just to name a few: LINQ, properties, lambdas, delegates/events, yield-keyword, true generics...).

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
So overall as far as I understood from comments. C sharp has a slight advantage vs java.

Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
As always, the answer would depend on what one wishes to accomplish.

Stop learning languages (for the sake of a language itself), people, and instead focus on what you want to create.

• ♠️​ ♦️ ♣️ ​♥️ •
Reaction score
So overall as far as I understood from comments. C sharp has a slight advantage vs java.
its huge not slight. :p

Stop learning languages (for the sake of a language itself), people, and instead focus on what you want to create.
thats the final point that is the most important, but since i work on my company i only go for microsoft lol. as long as u accept users using windows not mac or linux its very interesting to go for microsoft. they provide so many solutions in their own cycle u dont have to go out of your lovely enviroment (visual studio):
- for javascript we code typescript
- for websites we use asp.net (c# and markup)
- for applications we use wpf and winforms (c#)
- for services we use WCF (c#)
- for SQL we use the c#'s entity framework (MSSQL)

so its good to decide your language on your project, but u should keep in mind that there are technologies that work rly good together in harmony. if u start something with microsoft its better to stay on microsoft on other projects that are bound to your first project. =)

Reactions: emi
Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
so its good to decide your language on your project, but u should keep in mind that there are technologies that work rly good together in harmony. if u start something with microsoft its better to stay on microsoft on other projects that are bound to your first project. =)
That well aligns with what I mean actually. You first get a project and then decide what to use on it, not the other way around deciding the language first and then looking around how to make everything using it.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Personally, when I'm just trying to do something really fast and simple, like a 15-45 minute parser or some crap like that, I use Java, just because it's a bit more forgiving, and in a small project it's nicer about the exceptions it throws. When I'm actually trying to do something worth a crap, I usually go for C#. Java's nice and all, but like... it's really not powerful enough to do anything, mostly because even something as simple as Hello World requires loading up the entire JVM. Also, and this is just my feeling, Java actually seems more... primitive? Iunno.

Reaction score
Like a lot of people said already depends on the project you are working on, but if it's meant to work on windows machine definitely choose C#.
Because it's a .NET language, a lots of libs and code is already done for you, with a few lines you can do so much. C# is vital for Microsoft's projects so the support won't die, neither will the language, so if you want to learn a future language, C# is one of them.
C# also has similar syntax to other modern languages, while Java is old and a bit rusty. Java is wide spread but seeing how fast technologies are developing, Java is not really a language you want to focus on(although there are projects that requires Java).

Anyways, you should really not focusing on a certain language, but more on Algorithmics and how to get things done. You'll once learn that jump from one language to another will take you a few weeks tops, meanwhile Analythical skills take a hell lot longer.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Java and C# are actually, in the grand scheme of things, very similar at a language level. Not particularly surprising when you consider that syntax was largely based on Java (with various additions). Skills in one mean that you will become proficient in the other pretty quickly (took me only a couple of weeks to switch either way), and it looks good on your resume not to be seen solely as a "one technology person".The Java platform is great and has a lot going for it. The engineering in the JVM is amazing, there is a fantastic ecosystem of open source libraries, the tooling is excellent (Eclipse, Maven, EGit are the ones I use most), you can write genuinely cross-platform solutions, there's a huge amount of innovation happening (especially in the framework and new-JVM-language space). Sure it's different from the Microsoft stack, but is certainly at least as good overall.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
I am just wondering whether or not I should continue with Java, because I'm simply bored with it, or should I go C#?

You can write your own personal opinions, I would love to read them. I just want to know what differences there are, and what is better in one than the other, etc.

It's so funny reading over all these responses because the question you're asking is like asking someone if you should take a course in learning English or take a course in learning Japanese. They're both languages - yes, but which one you want to learn is based upon what you're wanting to accomplish. A thread like this encourages the 'experts' in this community to say things that simply are not true. It's already been mentioned, and it's just preference.

I like PHP and I'm sure there is a lot of 'experts' here that think PHP is a very bad language, but I don't care at all because I enjoy using it, and that's it. That's why I use it.

Everyone can sit here and tell you Java is better than C# because x, or C# is better than Java because x. There is no right or wrong answer here, it simply comes down to this - What are you trying to accomplish? That's it.

Then ask yourself, what do you like using better? C# or Java. That's it!

Rogu3
Reaction score

Just because you learn C# doesn't mean you have to throw Java out the window. I have to be honest though, going to C# from Java conceptually isn't that different. They're both supported by countless libraries, compiled and very powerful.

If you're looking for something similar to Java, yeah sure learn C#, but I don't think you'll be any less bored with it after a while. I suggest trying something different like JavaScript or Python.

Someone said C# has more features than Java which is not the case at all. Java was released 5 years before C# in 1996 and it has a lot of features that C# doesn't. There's a reason a lot of companies build large apps with Java instead of C#, Node.js and other alternatives... It's because it's backed by years of research and development. Java is known for "Write Once, Run Everywhere" because it's lack of platform dependency whereas C# again is still mainly used for Windows applications.

But to be clear, I'm not saying Java is better than C#. C# is extremely powerful, and depending on the project it can be the better option. It really all depends on what you plan to build.
academic said it very well, it's really your choice.

There are a lot of great languages out there. Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Python, C/C++, etc.

There is no limit to how many you can learn, so pick one and have a go. If you don't like it, don't continue with it, but learning a new one doesn't mean you have to forget the others. In fact, the core concepts of programming are standard throughout most languages, especially the ones I've mentioned, so you should have no problem picking them up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Someone said C# has more features than Java which is not the case at all. Java was released 5 years before C# in 1996 and it has a lot of features that C# doesn't.
Do you have your knowledge from the early 2000s? Because I would say, C# is ahead in terms of language features since version 3 (2007).

And btw, .net core runs well under linux, too ;)

Back