Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

The next thing to take a look at.

Ben

Developer - JS
Developer
Reaction score
Hey guys just a simple question.

Currently i develop/have understanding of the following code/syntaxes or w.e you want to call them.

• Java (including Multithreading/Concurrency)
  • C# (No Threading experience)
  • Basic Assembler
  • PL/SQL
  • HTML/CSS
  • Javascript (basic though)
  • PHP

What should i look into next? C or C++? or should I extend my knowledge in Java and C#, if this, then what should I look for next?

[emoji848]
Legend
Reaction score
Hmm I know you started very widely and roughly with a lot of languages within a very short period of time. I'd personally suggest to find out what you will possibly need to use in the future to accomplish your plans / dreams / projects / work or whatever it is that you started programming for :D

Languages go very deep and are mostly very dependent on their design. So if you specialize in C# it will be hard to just bend over to PHP later on, maintaining the same level of knowledge.

You don't get more experienced the more languages you know but the deeper your understanding of programming mechanics is, I'd say. Now if you focus on HTML, that might not be true, so pick a language that you can learn a lot from :p

Again only my feeling, I might be wrong (still am only coding for 4 years)

Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
If you pick yet another language make sure it follows a different paradigm than the one shared by all the above (OO/imperative), otherwise very diminishing returns to be expected in new understanding.

git bisect -m
Loyal Member
Reaction score
C is a language that makes my mind blowing, and make me want to destroy my PC. It's an easy language, but... It's hard to create complex things, it's a totally strict language. Isn't like Java that helps you. Also C is old, already exists D, that no-one uses. C doesn't have classes, objects.. Only primary types... Also doesn't have strings. Making strings is complex and difficult and boring.
Memory manipulation need a complex mathematics knowledge.
C doesn't have Math functions, Image functions, nothing. Basically only I/O Functions, you need do all by yourself.
The major diference between C and C++ it's C++ has a big Database of Functions, supports OOP and Strings.
I will recommend C++, with those options. BUT C++ is a strict language too, and embarrassing when you work with solutions or multiple files with imports.
A good language that i love, and recommend you it's Common Lisp. It's a functional language. It's good, fast and powerful. A really overhated language.

If you want to play with your brain, i recommend a language called brainfuck. Brainfuck it's an esoteric language, that means a language made for lolling. Other esoteric languages that i recommend you to play, it's LOLCODE and Malbolge.

Brainfuck: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainfuck
LOLCODE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LOLCODE
Malbolge: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malbolge

Malbolge is fun as duck, see how you print "Hello World" in the screen with Malbolge:
Code:
 (=<`#9]~6ZY32Vx/4Rs+0No-&Jk)"Fh}|Bcy?`=*z]Kw%oG4UUS0/@-ejc(:'8dc

But LOLCODE is more fun as duck, this example does something that idk what does.
Code:
HAI 1.2
CAN HAS STDIO?
I HAS A VAR
IM IN YR LOOP
   UP VAR!!1
   VISIBLE VAR
   IZ VAR BIGGER THAN 10? KTHX
IM OUTTA YR LOOP
KTHXBYE

Reaction score
... What should i look into next? ...
This: (Not necessarily the Lisp language, but this particular book.)

"The Little Lisper" opened my mind.. changed the way I think while programming/problem solving. I Hope it does the same for others.

Last edited:
◝(⁰▿⁰)◜Smile◝ (⁰▿⁰)◜
Developer
Reaction score
It's up to you what you want to do.

Do you want to make high performance applications?
-> Well then dive into C++.
Do you want to learn more and make more advanced applications with the knowledge you know?
-> Well, dive deeper into Java or C#.

As for multi-threading in C# it's fairly simple, you can run stuff in parallel with the Parallel class. Or you can run smaller tasks on a boss thread which queues it up to spread it over a ThreadPool.

Example:
Code:
ThreadPool.QueueUserWorkItem(action.Action);

There are tons of things to learn especially in Java or C#, write an emulator for a game, that will keep you busy for a while :)

Last edited:

Ben

Developer - JS
Developer
Reaction score
It's up to you what you want to do.

Do you want to make high performance applications?
-> Well then dive into C++.
Do you want to learn more and make more advanced applications with the knowledge you know?
-> Well, dive deeper into Java or C#.

As for multi-threading in C# it's fairly simple, you can run stuff in parallel with the Parallel class. Or you can run smaller tasks on a boss thread which queues it up to spread it over a ThreadPool.

Example:
Code:
ThreadPool.QueueUserWorkItem(action.Action);

There are tons of things to learn especially in Java or C#, write an emulator for a game, that will keep you busy for a while :)

Example of emulators ?? I wouldn't even know how to start

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
It depends on what you wanna do in your feature.

If you're interested in Embedded Systems learn Assembly or C. It's not true that C is unused. C/Assembly written Systems are running on Airplanes, Chips and that stuff you cannot access directly without a user-control interface. The most Kernels are written in C because C was made for that - Low fat (size).

C++ is not really faster than C, C++ makes YOU faster writing structured code using object oriented features! I as a C user say: People today forgot to use the Filenames as e.g "namespaces" for you to remember, a simple structured file-tree. But what makes C more portable is that you can implement a C compiler better than a huge C++ compiler.

About Software development i can't suggest Java -> See the Oracle & Google conflict. Oracle is not your friend. Well you can make Java "native" using JIT or however its called but later then its Assembly code - Same effect like C => compiler => optimized Assembly file(s) => Executable (compiler optimization). Remember: "Java is C/C++ without the Knives, Guns and Clubs". Everything that Java can, C# is doing it better. I hate C# and i'll never use it again but over Java i would 100%. Anyways Software Development is not really programming, it's more using pre-written code and putting those "pieces" together so the program does later that what it has to do.

Really nice languages you could look @:
  • Ada
  • Rust
  • Swift
  • Dart (better than Javascript, that trashy poop)
  • Prolog
  • reStructure

That are awesome & interesting languages.

But serious, if you want to be a high xtreme skilled programmer keep your eye on max. 3 languages.

Back