Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

What to major in?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
So I am interested in this game 9Dragons and also got a bit intested in the android / linux OS!

I seen this thread by hexpor that released the source code and working with things like that , finding addresses for games/software, and compiling it always interested me.

I remember the first thing I ever complied using the source code was a gamecube emulator xD

I also got a bit into developing android apps but got stuck halfway through the project because I just didn't have the knowledge to complete it on my own.

And also the linux os = <3

I was wondering what major(s) in college are the correct ones that go along with the above set of interest?

Is it computer science? thanks :D

Also if anyone has advice for what books to read to further learn about those areas of interest I have along with the major(s)/minor(s) I should be taking please post here and let me know thanks :D

Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
Pick something that has little or nothing to do with programming. If you love the stuff enough you'll get good at it regardless of whether you take mostly useless classes for it. The other knowledge is arguably more important: the stuff that you need to understand for whatever you're building to have any value.

Well it's not exactly what I'd do myself, but as long as you realize that taking computer classes has little to do with having fun with programming or being great at it, I guess you'll be fine.

Reaction score
I wish you the best of luck. I search my android or amazon when I'm looking for books.. The good ones tend to hide out towards the top of your search queries.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
So basically majoring in for a BS in Computer Science won't make me good at programming? :( then what am I supposed to major in for college because I want to learn how to program :(

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
So basically majoring in for a BS in Computer Science won't make me good at programming? :( then what am I supposed to major in for college because I want to learn how to program :(

Going to university will give you a firm grasp on programming but you are expected to learn (and master) the actually useful stuff by yourself so don't expect to become pro programmer just by going to uni.
You'll get your paper; knowledge... not so much.

I'd follow Negata's suggestion and start learning programming on my own.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
You learn the basics in school and hobby at home as you learn best if you do what you find fun or interesting
1+1=3 in this case

Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
Oh, sure it will help you become a good programmer, but it's not the CS program but the time you put into it. It's so easy to simply surf through courses and get a degree without learning anything useful that it's not even funny. So if you are willing to put the time into becoming good, you may do it without the program as well. I admit it can be very helpful to have someone or something point out where to look if you have no clue - but don't ever imagine that a degree alone means anything. It's toilet paper.

Take this from someone whose Master's is basically all software engineering, computer science and math. I am an excellent programmer and I love knowing about the theoretical side of it but sometimes I wish I had taken something else as well. Very little of what I studied helps me at all in everyday work as a software developer, maybe the theory most. The other good bits came from hobby and work.

That said - I don't think going for the CS degree is a bad idea at all. It just sometimes really, really frustrates me to hear people say they have a degree while I know in reality they suck at the craft.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
In my college you actually learn how to code even in languages that will be useful by the time you go to work, however it only teaches you the basics just like most books, it'll never teach you how to organize your code or whether to split the code in more classes or leave it in 1, or which fields to make private or public to yield a clean maintainable code, stuff like that is what you get by sitting down and coding for yourself for a few years, you'll get better with every project you attempt

Google my name...
Reaction score
Well I didn't bother with much of the above. I made some major projects in PHP and then went for some Job Interviews, I am now part of a company which is teaching me how to do mobile applications, proper website development and even has the chance to do some games.

They did next to no programming tests on me, literally based all their tests on pure logic, since programming requires top-end logic.

I now have a Junior Developer role at their company at £20,000 per annum. I get my first pay rise in a few months.

All the best,
Richard Komakech.

Reaction score
I don't find it very trivial to land myself a job which utilizes my strongest skill-set without a degree, so I'm pursuing my degree after learning a boat-load before-hand.. Take it from me, I learned a whole lot but I regret not going to get my degree earlier in life, as this is very boring. I suggest you go study for what you want to do and get your piece of toilette paper and move on. College should help you learn how to learn more efficiently and start you off learning from people with experience teaching, so that you get the best of both worlds. College expects you to go in there and not know anything- it's only very boring for people who approach life butt-backwards like I do.

I'm surprised at the negative comments about college here. For somebody like you who wants to learn programming, the best way to learn is through somebody who's good at teaching you what you need to know first in order for the knowledge to really "click in." I think the people who do that best are pursuing their passion by teaching in some university. It's not very easy to skip that part and rush into becoming more experienced.

If I wanted to learn how to sky dive, I would want somebody with experience sky-diving and experience teaching to show me how to do it correctly before I dive head-first out of a plane.

Last edited:
Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
I'm not negative towards college. I have some very good experiences from university myself, most of them from the more theoretical classes which teach you something that is very hard to come by accidentally. What I say above is exaggeration to a degree, but I think it's necessary to strike a point through. After all, I doubt the OP will follow any of our advice so what we should aim to do is give him something to think about at least.

It makes a big difference where you go to study, too. In my university half the lecturers do not want to or know how to teach, but do a half-assed work at it anyway because it's part of their responsibilities as researchers or professors. From that point of view it may sometimes really be more effective not to waste the time in class.

Reaction score
One thing I learned as soon as I went into industry off my Computer Science degree is that Computer Science does not equal Computer Programming. You will learn a lot of theory that will enable you to quickly learn programming concepts, but generally unless you go to a really nice school, you're not going to walk out of your senior year able to bust out recursive algorithms in a few seconds flat. What Negata has mentioned about his education experience is universal for most people in this field. Unless you go to a REALLY nice school (MIT, Carnegie, etc), you'll most likely get a very half-assed education. Educators right now are under a lot of pressure to produce as many CPSC graduates as they possibly can. In return for high graduation rates, they get more funding. The cost of this is degrees are becoming increasingly devalued, and sooner or later a Masters degree will be the new Bachelors in this field.

Whatever you do, don't major in Software Engineering as some have suggested, unless you want to graduate and have to actually compete for a job. By compete, I mean there are more software development positions available in most areas of the world right now than there are people to fill them. Those employers are looking for the words "BS - Computer Science" on your resume. Software Engineering is relatively new and the standards for it are not very solid. You will not enjoy looking for a job with a Software Engineering degree, and if you find one there's a strong chance the guy with "BS - Computer Science" on his resume is going to be making more money than you and getting raises more often than you.

Back