Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Microsoft] Bash / Ubuntu coming to Windows [TechCrunch]

Rogu3
Reaction score
Apparently, Microsoft is bringing Bash to Windows. This opens new doors to all types of possibilities, and most of all it allows for developers to work uniformly across systems without having to know different methods of scripting depending on the operating system.

I believe Windows PowerShell will still be a feature, but I don't know if it will continue to be supported or if it will fall to the way side.

So, what do you think about this?

Article:

Ben

Developer - JS
Developer
Reaction score
Apparently, Microsoft is bringing Bash to Windows. This opens new doors to all types of possibilities, and most of all it allows for developers to work uniformly across systems without having to know different methods of scripting depending on the operating system.I believe Windows PowerShell will still be a feature, but I don't know if it will continue to be supported or if it will fall to the way side.So, what do you think about this?Article:
I don't really see anyting 'new' in this, ofcourse its nice that they implement it but there are a ton of ways to get commands in windows already.

Rogu3
Reaction score
I don't really see anyting 'new' in this, ofcourse its nice that they implement it but there are a ton of ways to get commands in windows already.
It's nothing necessarily "new", it's just interesting that they're implementing it. Obviously, there are already ways to implement this, but that's not the point. The point is obviously, there was a reason Windows did not have them from the beginning. After all these years, they've finally started thinking of the developer rather than the company and added it.

Reaction score
It's nothing necessarily "new", it's just interesting that they're implementing it. Obviously, there are already ways to implement this, but that's not the point. The point is obviously, there was a reason Windows did not have them from the beginning. After all these years, they've finally started thinking of the developer rather than the company and added it.
Microsoft always thought about the developer- that's why they were so successful in the early years and still today. Microsoft continues to invest in programming languages and tools for developers. The problem with Microsoft and developers, is that the help they give typically follows a pattern. That pattern is usually, the stuff they invest in ties the education people get in technology to Windows (and today, other Microsoft products, such as Xbox). They usually present a facade that their tools may work for other systems, but it's in their interest and it always made perfect sense to me that the technology Microsoft produces, works best with Microsoft products..

I always veered away from Microsoft related programming languages and education for that reason. Bash is much better, and the UNIX kernel is much better organized than DOS- all programmers pretty much agree on this, but it would utterly baffle me if Microsoft started using UNIX, because that may cause the education they invest in to be compatible with systems like Mac or Linux (Android).. Although, Microsoft was on top of the game when I was growing up, and they can't control the market today like they used to- so maybe accommodating to the ways of the UNIX world has become beneficial from a marketing perspective.

(my rant and opinion/ideas of the aftermath of Microsoft working with Canonical below)
In the recent past, Microsoft seemed to neglect that Linux even existed. I don't remember ever reading or seeing an ad on TV that stated, "SQL Server with Windows is better than MySQL with Linux".. The Ads always read more like, "If you want to make something with a database, the only thing that exists is our relational database- SQL Server- and that's convenient, because the only OS that is targeted towards a server that exists is Microsft Windows Server.." Did I mention they acted this way long after Red Hat was smoking them in the server market? Now they are.. integrating.. with.. Ubuntu?? Working with Canonical? I mean, lol.. Is this the beginning of a steady decline for Microsoft? Have they considered what happens if Ubuntu for Windows actually checks out?? Will Ubuntu be something in the Windows Store? Canonical is a bright company, they will make Ubuntu for Windows appealing somehow.. Will Walmart begin to sell laptops and phones with Ubuntu on them instead of Chrome or Windows? Wtf Satya Nadella..

To be fair to Satya, though, if I ever see Windows in the Fedora Software app, I'm buying it. You know what, I really dislike Ubuntu- but I would be so shell-shocked if Windows appeared in the Ubuntu Software Center or Store or whatever the duck it's called, I would get Ubuntu just so I could buy Windows.. lol. What I won't do, is buy windows to get Ubuntu.. I might buy Windows 10 or 11 (depending on when I do it), so I can install it in a virtual machine in my Fedora when I finally get around to upgrading my hardware.. Needless to say, I'm going to end up with some strange thing like Fallout 4 running on Windows+Ubuntu inside of a VM running on Fedora.. I feel queezy just thinking about it, but I know me, and I try things for the duck of it.......

Last edited:
git bisect -m
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Windundu (Windows + Ubuntu) using Unix NT (Windows NT Kernel + UNIX Red Hat Kernel), with KDWin (KDE + Windows GUI (that doesn't have a name).. Oh that's seems funny but lazy.

Back