Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

What do you use for PHP, Frameworks? Or From Scratch?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Just curious. I have a friend who has from scratch classes. I've known people who just use wordpress.
So what do you all prefer to use?

I've tried from scratch. But I ultimately got into Laravel framework. I took a look at Code Igniter but didn't like it too much.

What do you all like to use? Composer? Or a different framework? Or just like what gets the job done for you.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
i think building your classes and framework from scratch is usualy the best, and it helps you learn more as you progress :)

Reaction score
Use tools when you need them.. There's no sense reinventing everything that's already been done. If you see everyone else is using CodeIgniter, than you should look into CodeIgniter. If it's the right tool for the job you're going to do, than you may want to use it. The learning curve involved is important, too. You don't want to buy a "tool" that's so complex it will take months of training before one can start using it to create anything useful. But, maybe the learning curve is shorter than the time it takes to build your own tool that suits your needs better? If a tool is close to fitting your use-case, you can make an improvement to the tool so that the tool fits your needs better, and contribute that to the tool (if open source, or suggest to close-source project, idk).

QT is better than VS
Reaction score
i really understand almost all aspect in php but when you use code igniter yii or other framework you have again to learn all the wrapper function. frameworks are powerful DO MORE,, WRITE LESS

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
A debate that I've seen a lot of lately.

Being an active developer I can definitely say I prefer my own frameworks by far. Solely for the reason that I know exactly how everything functions. It's hard for me to pick up a framework and use it simply because it may not work exactly how I want it too. Trying to modify someone else's code is IMO more of a headache then writing a good framework yourself.

Just my $0.02.

Put Community First
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of tearhear18 and T0W3L's opinions. I much prefer using my own frameworks because I 100% know how everything works, connects and displays, but if I have a project I need to rush through some heavy PHP for, if a framework exists, I will attempt (I say attempt because some are pretty badly coded, haha) to use it to save development time.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of tearhear18 and T0W3L's opinions. I much prefer using my own frameworks because I 100% know how everything works, connects and displays, but if I have a project I need to rush through some heavy PHP for, if a framework exists, I will attempt (I say attempt because some are pretty badly coded, haha) to use it to save development time.

Understandable, but when the day comes that you're rushing a project and using a framework that you find out works for most of your functions except a few important ones, then you find yourself with even more to do in less time. I do however agree, that a comfortable mix between a pre-coded framework and your own code/modifications can be an ideal solution for some projects.

pel

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Everytime from scratch. Why? I know where is what without reading 1000 line docus. Its a good practice and u learn "real OOP". So you can code OOP.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
own framework is the best... try to check yii or mvc or any framework coded... i hope you will success later. good luck.

Reaction score
I don't really know any particular PHP framework very well. I do know jQuery very well- that is, a JavaScript framework that is sort of an abstraction layer over the DOM. I know jQuery very well- as well as I know anything else related to JavaScript- and that's a fair amount. So if I'm building anything in JavaScript that uses the DOM, I use jQuery. I can extend jQuery, I can understand jQuery, and I know how to get things done faster using jQuery than if I were to use the DOM.

I don't know any PHP framework like I know the PHP language. I cannot comfortably use a framework for PHP and expect to get anything done quickly. If I were to take the time to learn CodeIgniter like I learned jQuery, than maybe I would see the benefits.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
I like to use Mini MVC for my projects. I guess it isn't ideal for large websites, but it does the job for smaller ones. Created few FlyFF websites and a portfolio with it and they've been working just fine. Really simple MVC and requires basically zero documentation to learn.

or

Reaction score
Wordpress is great when building sites for users who need simply functionality. I always use CI for any custom coding projects now.

No point spending time developing classes to do something when there are entire frameworks out there which have already invented the core to any website.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
I prefer from scratch but do enjoy developing using zend framework. Made my life easier.

◝(⁰▿⁰)◜Smile◝ (⁰▿⁰)◜
Developer
Reaction score
Wordpress is great when building sites for users who need simply functionality. I always use CI for any custom coding projects now.

Same here, CI is easy to make projects in a short time span.

Reaction score
I prefer to use different packages on Composer for some projects, however most of the time I will use my own framework or switch to Laravel if I absolutely need to. Coding within your own frameworks can save time because you know the framework better, and how to use it to it's best possible performance but major frameworks such as those mentioned above tend to provide more power and options as well as reliability.

Back