Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

A question for the pro's

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So I've got a little question hope it fits in this section though.

I'm planning on making a MyBB Forum but I've heard people saying to me that you need to fork out the MyBB software. I personally don't understand what they mean with it, they say that Jesse Labrocca owner of HackForums and many other MyBB forums did that to his MyBB software but I just don't know what it is and it's just way over my head.

Is any of you able to answer this question: What is MyBB forking? And who's actually able to do that without failing? Because I don't hold that much coding skills.

Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
So I've got a little question hope it fits in this section though.

I'm planning on making a MyBB Forum but I've heard people saying to me that you need to fork out the MyBB software. I personally don't understand what they mean with it, they say that Jesse Labrocca owner of HackForums and many other MyBB forums did that to his MyBB software but I just don't know what it is and it's just way over my head.

Is any of you able to answer this question: What is MyBB forking? And who's actually able to do that without failing? Because I don't hold that much coding skills.
From what it looks like to me based on a single google search and finding MyBB's home pages, you don't need to be a programmer. Just download, install and customize by using plugins. Forking would mean taking the source code (since it's open source) and making your own modifications to it so it behaves in some other ways. Now this is based on only what I see on their front page but I feel pretty strongly about this being the case here, so I doubt you need to do the *forking* part unless you're looking into something advanced.

Not working on UnitedFlyf
Loyal Member
Reaction score
From what it looks like to me based on a single google search and finding MyBB's home pages, you don't need to be a programmer. Just download, install and customize by using plugins. Forking would mean taking the source code (since it's open source) and making your own modifications to it so it behaves in some other ways. Now this is based on only what I see on their front page but I feel pretty strongly about this being the case here, so I doubt you need to do the *forking* part unless you're looking into something advanced.

How will you eat MyBB without fork? oO

Reaction score
How will you eat MyBB without fork? oO

LOL I hate you :p

Exactly what @Negata said, although, you should understand that you don't necessarily need to do this, some forums need to go way and beyond to protect their information, such as HF a community of hackers, you should look into how many times HF members hacked HF for testing purposes :p

I'm not sure why you are trying to make a MYBB forum..

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
1. Negata, thank you so much for this information. This really helped me out, I've been using such Plug-ins for MyBB like: Sub-forums in collums, and MyAwards and many others that come handy with my forum. But then I don't understand the point of actually forking out your MyBB Source because what is the point when your source is safe anyway. Sure some do it to be different but I don't think that that's really needed but that's for them to decide actually.

Again: Thank you a lot for your information, you've really helped me with making steps forward on my community.

2. Jangang

Well I'd ask the same question again, why would you fork out your source when it's safe anyway. I don't think that it has anything to do with your private information because as long as you don't use your real name for your MyBB username and you don't put any private information on your board than you should be safe. And even though that MyBB had some exploits and now in MyBB have bugs then why not just fix that instead of actually changing your whole source risking ( When you're not a PHP pro ). That you're going to create holes in your forum.

It was a question and since it fits in this forum, I'm always able to ask it right. But if I really want it how do I do it and how do I get the things done, because I would like to try but I can't even code PHP. So it's obviously a no-no then right?

Anyway thanks guys. No thanks for the guy who actually went off-topic.

Last edited:
◝(⁰▿⁰)◜Smile◝ (⁰▿⁰)◜
Developer
Reaction score
Well I'd ask the same question again, why would you fork out your source when it's safe anyway. I don't think that it has anything to do with your private information because as long as you don't use your real name for your MyBB username and you don't put any private information on your board than you should be safe. And even though that MyBB had some exploits and now in MyBB have bugs then why not just fix that instead of actually changing your whole source risking ( When you're not a PHP pro ). That you're going to create holes in your forum.

It was a question and since it fits in this forum, I'm always able to ask it right. But if I really want it how do I do it and how do I get the things done, because I would like to try but I can't even code PHP. So it's obviously a no-no then right?

Anyway thanks guys. No thanks for the guy who actually went off-topic.

It's always better to know what you are using, forking around would be useful if you want to write your own extensions to the existing software or configure the system correctly. This allows you to customize your forum to your needs. It's always better to try to understand the basic components of the software you use then just using it blindly. You learn by doing stuff. Forking around doesn't mean just reading the source, it's also adding, deleting, merging groups, users, etc. It's just a process to understand the MyBB or any other software so you can configure and use it properly.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll have a look at it soon, I've been changing things of MyBB now and it really did improve though.

Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
Then again going all programmer at the source code just because you've heard it's cool does you more harm than good. Just forget about whatever security enhancements you might be doing - if you're struggling with what forking it means then you're very much right in forgetting about it altogether, because there's virtually zero chance you'll be able to find and fix something that someone else wouldn't have spotted before you.

I'm not saying this to demotivate you, rather to give you a peace of mind that what you're doing is O-K! and don't worry about what people say you might be doing. If it doesn't interest you then it doesn't concern you.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just decided to look for fixes on the internet. I'm pretty sure that there are some fixes for MyBB 1.6 if MyBB didn't fix them already ( Like the search exploit, and the finding the IP exploit in avatars ).

Back