Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Software coding

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi!
I work with programming games but I also wanna be able to program my own softwares. I used Visual Studio but I'm not at all good at it!
I havent yet found any great tutorials netiher and that's why I'm asking here!

Can you guys who are experienced in C, tell me where to start so that I can one day make my own softwares even without looking at tutorials? :)

Thank you so much for your advice!
/Sykoo

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Start off with Visual Basic. Visual Basic is a very basic programming language, it almost speaks plain English and is very simple to understand. It's not a language however you would develop large programs in, but it's where you should start, if you have no programming knowledge.

After your confident with Visual Basic, you should move onto a object oriented programming language, I would recommend Java, as it too, is easy to understand, as well as being operating system independent.

That should keep you quite busy. :)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Start off with Visual Basic. Visual Basic is a very basic programming language, it almost speaks plain English and is very simple to understand. It's not a language however you would develop large programs in, but it's where you should start, if you have no programming knowledge.

After your confident with Visual Basic, you should move onto a object oriented programming language, I would recommend Java, as it too, is easy to understand, as well as being operating system independent.

That should keep you quite busy. :)

Hey!
1st of all, thank you so much for the reply :)
I wanna mention that I'll work with Visual Basic a bit more than what I've done already, and I'm actually pretty good in JAva and Javascript :) The thing is I am really intrested and wanna learn C++. I've started on C++ Prime book but it feels a bit too complicated and it's not what I really search for :/

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Java and Javascript are two completely different languages and the only thing in common is the name.

C++ syntax is really different, like I said start with basic and move onto Java. After that, have a go at C++! :)

Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
1) No for Visual Basic
2) No for Java
3) No, you're not "pretty good in Java and Javascript", I don't believe you are or you'd be experienced enough to know how to start another language
4) You program games but want to learn to make software? I don't know what you've done before or what you consider programming cause games are software. So maybe you should ask again and tell us what you really want

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
1) No for Visual Basic
2) No for Java
3) No, you're not "pretty good in Java and Javascript", I don't believe you are or you'd be experienced enough to know how to start another language
4) You program games but want to learn to make software? I don't know what you've done before or what you consider programming cause games are software. So maybe you should ask again and tell us what you really want

Is there really a right answer? There is no specific track to take really. You learn everyday, and you're going to have to learn a different language at some point. Why not start somewhere like Visual Basic, because, really, there is nothing anymore simple than that.

I'd say, which language you prefer. Learn it, and learn it well.

Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
Is there really a right answer? There is no specific track to take really. You learn everyday, and you're going to have to learn a different language at some point. Why not start somewhere like Visual Basic, because, really, there is nothing anymore simple than that.

I'd say, which language you prefer. Learn it, and learn it well.
Lots of truth in that! It's just those 2 specific languages (+ PHP) would probably my top 3 least favorite languages in the world of "which languages cool people use".

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Lots of truth in that! It's just those 2 specific languages (+ PHP) would probably my top 3 least favorite languages in the world of "which languages cool people use".

I agree with you however, each language has its own specific purpose. Like I said, Visual Basic is a language that I believe is becoming more and more obsolete as the days go on. However, just because one does not like a language, doesn't mean it's not a beneficial resource for another user being introduced.

Like I already mentioned, there isn't a "right" track or a specific track, instead there is an appropriate track. This means, learn one language, like Visual Basic and move onto an object-oriented language, like Java or C++ or even C#. All of these languages are object-oriented.

That being said, I would only recommend Visual Basic if you have absolutely no understanding of what an array or variable is. If you do know a bit, what's stopping you from learning C#.

My suggestion is think of a project. A simple project. Draw up a sketch, what the GUI might look like (if applicable) and for each function that program needs, google it and implement others ideas by the use of what you already know into your program and make adjustments where needed.

Sometimes learning a language is not always just about learning, it's about having fun. Because, if you're not interested, what's the point?

Last edited:
Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
I can agree with that. I have very little knowledge of Visual Basic but it's not exactly something that comes up in conversations in worklife. Java then, sure, while it can be a language to learn and has widespread use, I find the language very cumbersome and simply not fun to use so it's not something I'd recommend either as an end or a stepping stone towards something else.

Totally agree with everything else you said about the approach to learning through a project.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
I can agree with that. I have very little knowledge of Visual Basic but it's not exactly something that comes up in conversations in worklife. Java then, sure, while it can be a language to learn and has widespread use, I find the language very cumbersome and simply not fun to use so it's not something I'd recommend either as an end or a stepping stone towards something else.

Totally agree with everything else you said about the approach to learning through a project.

What would you recommend, out of curiosity?

Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
What would you recommend, out of curiosity?
That depends a lot on what he actually wants to do and learn, but Python, Ruby, C++/C# are all solid candidates, or even Haskell for the more adventurous types. All of these are very general purpose languages and especially the first two are great for stepping-stone languages with the additional bonus of being great for building utility scripts for when the time comes.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
He mentions that he is good in Java and JavaScript. I know you shouldn't assume, but I doubt he knows very much about one or the other gathering that he mentions both of these languages in the same sentence, as to imply that these languages are similar or have anything more in common than a name.

I recommended Visual Basic because, I believe he is not very experienced with programming at all, however, if he is, it's probably a good thing to start a project in Java instead of going into Visual Basic, as you said, it's a step backwards. As Negata has has already mentioned, Visual Basic is not a language that you should even touch, just because it's not even used to make programs, and if it is, not ones that have a huge use.

And when I say experienced, I mean can write effective and efficient code.

That depends a lot on what he actually wants to do and learn, but Python, Ruby, C++/C# are all solid candidates, or even Haskell for the more adventurous types. All of these are very general purpose languages and especially the first two are great for stepping-stone languages with the additional bonus of being great for building utility scripts for when the time comes.

Fair enough, very good choice of languages I must say :)

Modeler / C++ Coder
Developer
Reaction score
well if you want to start out in game development and your not that experienced in coding you could start out with c#.. there are plenty of tutorials about for it on the web.
c++ always been the better option for myself.. but starting with c++ right of the bat might be to tricky..

here is an example you can start off with which I found with Google in 2 seconds flat.

but there are plenty of websites like that to start of from. you can also look for xna tutorials for example later on.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
1) No for Visual Basic
2) No for Java
1) Yes, as I want to work with it.
2) Yes for Java which is probably one of the most useful langauges, specifically for developing games!
3) I said I'm pretty good at Javascript and Java inside "GAME MAKING" Do you even know what that means? I don't think so! I haven't said I wanna make my own language, where do you come up with such bullshït? lel
4) Games aren't softwares. Games are prefabs, objects, materials and lots other stuff built upon an application. With software, I was pointing onto such as making trainers for single-player games etc.

Also, I do not require you to believe me in any kind of way, so stop acting :)

If he says he already knows Java then why're you suggesting VB instead of C to him? VB's a step backwards.

VB was extremely easy after that I've tried it out! I'll look onto more about C++ though I haven't found anything useful yet :l Thanks for the helps btw guys! :)

Developer
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend the website pluralsight. It's a great website with video tutorials. They have plenty of tutorials for: Android, C#, VB, ASP.NET etc, It does however cost money.

◝(⁰▿⁰)◜Smile◝ (⁰▿⁰)◜
Developer
Reaction score
This should help.

Why straight aiming for the top?
He just should start with VB even tough he claims he knows Java & JavaScript, I use the .NET framework now for years and even still today I discover new things. :) You don't need to know c++ to be a good programmer, I dislike c++ since it's harder to manage since you have to do a lot of thinking before you write something. The larger your c++ gets the more mistakes might happen.

Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
1) Yes, as I want to work with it.
2) Yes for Java which is probably one of the most useful langauges, specifically for developing games!
Well, you asked.

3) I said I'm pretty good at Javascript and Java inside "GAME MAKING" Do you even know what that means? I don't think so! I haven't said I wanna make my own language, where do you come up with such bullshït? lel
Nope, I don't have a clue what any of this means. If you know a language inside out then you do, it doesn't depend on context. Maybe you meant you're pretty familiar with some specific library that is available in Java/Javascript?

I felt it was necessary to tone down everyone's expectations of your current level so you could get advice more in line of your current understanding and aswell so that you'd have proper expectations of where you stand. Make your own language, what the hell are you talking about?

4) Games aren't softwares. Games are prefabs, objects, materials and lots other stuff built upon an application. With software, I was pointing onto such as making trainers for single-player games etc.
All programs are software regardless of what their use is, the application you refer to is software. Games consist of a runtime application along with the mentioned "prefabs, objects, materials etc" hence they're software. One might go as far as to state even the mentioned non-executable parts of a game are software as well in contrast to them not being hardware. Then again, none of the assets are even required to define a game because essentially a game equals its ruleset which is plain logic and instructions. Even if you don't use a well-known programming language to define the rules you're still programming the game in some way (perhaps state-diagrams or something like that), who ever said programming needs to be strictly practiced by typing?

Also, I do not require you to believe me in any kind of way, so stop acting :)
Well mind you, this is the programming section of the forum and I find it pretty essential we understand each other or there's no use trying to communicate at all. Take my advice or don't, it doesn't really matter to me, just don't expect people to put much thought into trying to give you the best help they can when what seems to matter to you is not the information itself but whether they're echoing to you what you already wanted to do anyway.

Reaction score
@Negata is right, you don't sound like you know much about programming. I'm going to assume that by what the OP means by having experience with games and not software, he made "scripts" or something for a game.

@ACADEMiC , Java and JavaScript have things in common other than just the name. He didn't even say it in a way that

Also, you're recommending him to learn Visual Basic, then you yourself said that it's obsolete. Why would you tell someone to learn a language that's obsolete? There's many languages just as easy as Visual Basic that someone can pick up in the same amount of time. Visual Basics is probably one of the worst languages I've learned. I learned it in my 3rd year, and it probably confused me the most. It's really different from most languages. I think this factor alone distances me from VB. I like languages that are similar to C.

This means, learn one language, like Visual Basic and move onto an object-oriented language
Visual Basic is a object oriented language.

I personally would recommend learning C, which I learned in my first semester and aided me in every other language I've learned thereafter. That will teach you the very underlying basics of languages used today. It's actually one of the easiest languages to learn, believe it or not. There's also other options like python, javascript, go, lua, etc. All these languages would help someone get started with programming.

Either way, learn the fundamentals of programming and computers. Don't focus on a Ducking programming language. I tell this to every single person.
You could say you're a C# programmer, or you could learn the fundamentals and become a software developer/engineer.

Back