Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Just started developing

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Aye, I have just decided to start learning languages.

I do have really small experience with HTML, CSS and I want to focus on PHP.
Also know C# but I guess it doesn't matter.

Anyway, I'm aiming at making a browser game on internet of only text.
So, basically I start to learn PHP with MYSQL obviously.

Im using XAMPP & NaviCat for MYSQL.

Any suggestions, tutorials someone who could help me?
I have a lot of time and effort to put, I just don't know where to start from or how.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Start out with a lightweight framework. Slim Framework is a good starting point. Slim implements a lot of good things, but leaves the core application stuff up to you. Start with their documentation, read through it and build some of their sample applications. That will get you started. Read up on what an ORM is(I would recommend looking at implementing Propel ORM. Spend some time reading up on API's. That should get you started. As a bonus, look into NoSQL(MongoDB is a top option) and graph databases(Neo4j and ArangoDB are top options).

Ben

Developer - JS
Developer
Reaction score
Aye, I have just decided to start learning languages.

I do have really small experience with HTML, CSS and I want to focus on PHP.
Also know C# but I guess it doesn't matter.

Anyway, I'm aiming at making a browser game on internet of only text.
So, basically I start to learn PHP with MYSQL obviously.

Im using XAMPP & NaviCat for MYSQL.

Any suggestions, tutorials someone who could help me?
I have a lot of time and effort to put, I just don't know where to start from or how.

This is more a question for the Coders Paradise Section.

On topic:

You could start with the basics, put some data in your database and query them to show on your webpage.

Next on you put some radiobuttons and you match the question with the answer, you validate if the answer is correct by query'ing it again to the db.

It honestly depends on what you want to do with this 'text-game'.

If you provide some more context about how it works or what the purpose of the game is, I could supply more directed feedback.

git bisect -m
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Actually is Navicat, but anyways...

I recommend you give a learn in some PHP Design Patterns and PSR's. I can tell to you, real experience comes with practice. Not with only reading books or websites.

You never will got it in first time, programming requires attention and patience.

If you want some tips, inbox me.

Best Regards.

◝(⁰▿⁰)◜Smile◝ (⁰▿⁰)◜
Developer
Reaction score
If you have Xampp use phpmyadmin, it's build-in. As for a browser game, you can do it in many ways but I recommend the HTML5 + JavaScript game engine approach. There are many ways to build games but here comes something a lot of people don't want to hear. You need to learn to program properly before you can make a game.

Last edited:
Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score
I'd also recommend focusing on the Javascript side of the browser rather than PHP. In fact if the game isn't multiplayer you don't even really need the server. Why I recommend the Javascript approach is that it's much more fun and interactive, you see quicker results and can do all sorts of fancy tricks, play with JS/CSS animations (even for a text game, animated transitions etc) and all that. With Javascript under your belt you're later able to forgo PHP altogether and pick up on Node.js development for the server if that's what you like. Now I'm not going to say definitely don't do PHP because it's very newbie friendly, but I am saying that you may not need it.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I am also new in this field i have some knowledge of html, C, C++,visual basic and java also. I want to learn some new languages so that i can build some good websites. I heard that php is easy to learn and we can build some good websites on it.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Start out with a lightweight framework. Slim Framework is a good starting point. Slim implements a lot of good things, but leaves the core application stuff up to you. Start with their documentation, read through it and build some of their sample applications. That will get you started. Read up on what an ORM is(I would recommend looking at implementing Propel ORM. Spend some time reading up on API's. That should get you started. As a bonus, look into NoSQL(MongoDB is a top option) and graph databases(Neo4j and ArangoDB are top options).
I don't agree with you.
MVC structure and ORM are too difficoult for basics.

I advice you to start with MySQL and then, learn OOP as PHP.

Back