Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Unix Philosophy

Reaction score
I came across this article today while searching for a way to fiddle with UNIX users on my server machine for some Node.JS+Socket.IO hosting middleware I'm working on.

I found myself returning to the topic of the "Unix Programming Philosophy"

I think, more often than not, if you're writing a program (node.js, php, client-side js, C, Python, or any other), you should follow those rules on that Wiki link.

Okay, back to my research....

Have a good day!

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I came across this article today while searching for a way to fiddle with UNIX users on my server machine for some Node.JS+Socket.IO hosting middleware I'm working on.

I found myself returning to the topic of the "Unix Programming Philosophy"

I think, more often than not, if you're writing a program (node.js, php, client-side js, C, Python, or any other), you should follow those rules on that Wiki link.

Okay, back to my research....

Have a good day!

I agree with this. After reading these philosophies, they are very concise and specific, a good read for any developer.
Thanks for the share!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
@ the wiki link
Everything I read there evolves one way or another around egotistical principals and building around that rather than embeding within a whole

Looks more like sciense instead of philosophy which is what happens when people can't grasp it and give up, and then limit their views around their selves or certain believes.

Reaction score
@ the wiki link
Everything I read there evolves one way or another around egotistical principals and building around that rather than embeding within a whole
- Yes. Experienced egotistical programmers working on UNIX decided it was an easier idea to make a large extensible program (the UNIX Operating System) out of many small, easy-to-think-about pieces rather than trying to make the whole thing out of one heaping program. Whether they were right or wrong, I cannot say for sure, but I can say UNIX almost works and I haven't seen a working case for the other side of things yet..
Looks more like sciense instead of philosophy which is what happens when people can't grasp it and give up, and then limit their views around their selves or certain believes.
Huh? Science is always fact. Philosophy is faith. Then in between there are "Theories" which people can argue and bicker about- Science and Philosophy are solid and should not be touched. Yes, they both "limit" you but that limit is welcomed. What if there was nothing in the universe we could be certain about? That may be true- but there are many things we feel certain about anyway, such as air. Every breath I take is simple. I don't even think about each breath, I just have faith that I will take my next breath, and there is science that keeps the air close to my lungs so I can breath on this Earth. If everything was just "Theory" and not science/philosophy, we would all go crazy. Since the UNIX philosophy is a philosophy, that means it's not written in physics. People can choose whether or not they put their faith into the UNIX philosophy. I trust the UNIX philosophy and their set of rules. I want the certainty that comes with it, so I put my faith into that philosophy, keeping faith that my programs will work when I finish them...

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Context controls definition. But yes, more and more people hope, believe and want it the other way around.

Back