Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Help] Cheapest VPS offer for MuOnline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unknown Place
Reaction score
Re: Cheapest VPS offer for MuOnline

Sovahost has 60% off for gameservers check it out maybe ;)

They're OVH resellers too as well, not that OVH is bad, it's not, because for the pricing you are paying, you are receiving a really nice hardware, but the SLA (Service Level Agreement) they'll provide you, includes basic hardware/networking only, once you have an issue which requires them to manually check things for you, or require support for anything, then you'll run into a trouble, not to mention when unexpected issues happens, that they're really poor handling them for you. But that's it, their pricing is too low, so you have your advantages and your disadvantages, and for people that can pay for more, they'll surely get much more quality in the services, but that's not the case for most "game server admins" :D.

Upvote 0
Reaction score

They're OVH resellers too as well, not that OVH is bad, it's not, because for the pricing you are paying, you are receiving a really nice hardware, but the SLA (Service Level Agreement) they'll provide you, includes basic hardware/networking only, once you have an issue which requires them to manually check things for you, or require support for anything, then you'll run into a trouble, not to mention when unexpected issues happens, that they're really poor handling them for you. But that's it, their pricing is too low, so you have your advantages and your disadvantages, and for people that can pay for more, they'll surely get much more quality in the services, but that's not the case for most "game server admins" :D.

My friend we already discussed this months ago and i dont wanna say it again.. sovahost is very supportive atleast for me and ppl who i told to get vps from there, legal agreements are good too, they pay for windows bundles license and thats all good for them, nothing illegal.

there are no unexpected issues since 4 months for me personally =]

Upvote 0
Unknown Place
Reaction score

My friend we already discussed this months ago and i dont wanna say it again.. sovahost is very supportive atleast for me and ppl who i told to get vps from there, legal agreements are good too, they pay for windows bundles license and thats all good for them, nothing illegal. there are no unexpected issues since 4 months for me personally =]

Hi, Karli.

Ok, but I didn't said "anything" related to your reply, what I've said is about OVH. Of course, sovahost will be "more supportive" because for obvious reasons, you are acquiring a service "they're selling for you, by using OVH infrastructure", so you have their personal support for your requests, and can issues still happen ? Yes it does, and "in case" pay attention again "in case" they do happen, sovahost will be in OVH hands for the solution, and then, incidents can become problematic, due to the "poor" OVH support, again this is not related to "sovahost", but to the "low quality" service provider they're using, so lets say they are "running" in a "risk" they already know about, and that's the same "risk" you as a customer is taking as well. If you didn't had any issues, congratulations, you're a lucky boy, and for the best of your projects/needs, it's good it stay this way "without any issues".

So I hope you've got it now, the serivce provider behind your service provider, is a mandatory factor in all what I've said and explained, this is all, nothing related to your current experience, but just based in complaints and reviews from "many" ovh customers, which you can find everywhere. :)
It's not hard to understand, that at the pricing OVH is charging for their services, they cannot pay for enough "man-work", because this is very expensive, unless they hire monkeys to work in their backoffice and pay with a few bananas. ;) And without enough "man-power" everything that requires a "man" involved, won't be handled enough/efficiently, I'm being crystal clear here, nothing else have to be said.

So yes, is sovahost good ? It can indeed be good, nothing will deny that, unless by their own customers, but the service provider which they're using is indeed not the best option out there, nothing can deny it as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Unknown Place
Reaction score

I understand ofcourse very big issues will have to be handlded directly from ovh.. but i'm lucky 'boy' lol for not having issues =]
im not sure how now OVH became a bad provider, anyways =]

I will tell you how OVH became a cheap provider:

1) They're buying hardware for eg: 5000 euros, with a ROI that would take 24 months to be paid, if you've rented these servers at for example: 250 euros, but instead, they rent it for 80 euros (to subsidize customers, in order to expand the number of customers), Yes, they are "paying" to have you using their services and why is this ? Because, in other services, they'll be earning money "as long" you don't stick only with this subsidized service, otherwise this is a bit of "loss" for them, but of course, not when checking "all the customers".

2) They do not hire enough man-power to handle all issues, so when "too many people have issues", they'll take 5~10 days to provide you with a simple reply, and more days to provide you with a solution for your issue.

3) When they hire man-power, they do not pay enough to have "very skilled" professionals, and due to this, the support and solutions for issues, becomes bad or solved in the wrong way, eg: there are many cases when a HDD broke, and they've replaced the wrong disks and destoyed the disks without even the customer being able to check it beforehand, or even by messing network configurations by configuring wrong cards on customer requests, or by adjusting switch/router vlans improperly to adjust ip routes, while messing other IP routes.

4) So well, they are a "budget", "very cheap provider" and yes the hardware they provide "the specifications" of this hardware, is amazing for the pricing, but this is "all", you cannot expect anything else from it. And if it works, great, because this is the minimum that could be expected for a service you're paying, but when it doesn't, it becomes a big headache, really lol.

5) They do not have enough money to pay for "tier 1" transit providers, so they end up using second hand providers, in order to be able to "fullfill" all the necessary bandwidth for all the customers and the whole network, and the result of this is very bad routing or latency to many countries.

6) The DDoS Protection, well it's great, as long there isn't "too many people" receiving attacks, because this will often cause huge lags or added latency for all people using their "Anti DDoS Pro", this doesn't happens always, but it does sometimes, because OVH literally, have added this protection to ensure customers that "are not" under attack, are still working, during attacks, but people just consider it the opposite, beliving OVH did it on a good will, to keep their services protected always, no, the true is, if the protection works, this is great, but if it's overloaded, as long "most of the customers" keep working, they'll have less complaints, and them the user with these issues can just leave, as for OVH, he really doesn't worth it. ;)

So well, this is how a cheap/budget provider works, there are others like OVH as well, so they aren't alone on this boat, but still people use their money the way they want, and many simply can't pay for anything better, so this is what you have and can use in this case. ;)

Check yourself, the quality of servers in OVH:

generalhbk - [Help] Cheapest VPS offer for MuOnline - RaGEZONE Forums

They are not even using "server racks", but something else they've built in house to reduce costs, and their servers doesn't even have a proper case, but they're all open as you can see, everything to reduce as much cost as possible and yes, its indeed low quality. ;)

So yes, indeed things are priced due to specific reasons, mainly including equipment branding, assembling, man-power (being specializing or not) and so on, if it's cheap, there's a reason, and yes, you should be thankful, because it works for you and yes, this is the minimum expected for something you're paying... ;)

Ah, and I can't forgot to mention, that sometimes OVH just use "train wagons" to build a datacenter infrastructure, again to reduce more and more the costs:

But well, OVH mission was always to make "hosting services" as much accessible as possible to everyone, although it requires "many strategies" to make this possible, and this of course, reduce a lot the quality of these services... But for poor people or students, its great. For anything else, no its not, mainly when speaking about critical mission environments. ;)

And by last, some of their userbase feedback:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back