Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

So I'm about to start OldSchool Server..

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
So I'm about to start OldSchool Server.. with few upgrades to fit in today's gaming requirements but still preserve the original Mu Online. An uneasy task i know, but still take a minute to comment about my idea!:love:

Version will be Season 2 (1.02c Client with full sound/music) with all new weapons/armor sets/quests/events (it's kinda endgame requirement nowadays) - no customs at ALL in this case
What will be in shop is not decided yet (but dont expect jewels in there or boks or even enchanted items)
All Events will occur
Experience rate propably around 500xp, zen rate 2x, no bless bug (reset system?)

My vision is to get startgame from old Mu and develop trough to it's end with high-end items, hardly to obtain making the game more complex! Without making game any easier bless bug won't occur, thus zen will be valuable as it should be, jewels rate will be low that selling them won't be radical. I want to get back "that" feeling at entering lorencia spotting high level char with wings You could pressume "he's seen some :grr: and I want too!" and +7 items would be something worthy!

So tell me what ya think! Server files are bugless (tested 3 days nonstop now!)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
According to your description sorry to say, but there's many servers like that. And one more thing - if you want to return that feeling when you see someone in lorencia with wings and tell yourself "woaw", then make lower exp, because to get that feeling you must create ultra hard server - no npc buffer, no +'ed items in shops and etc. Like Mu Global was back in 2005.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thats not oldskool bro! Listen to Sky. 2005. Straight up hard exp. Exactly. If someone use a wing in Lorencia. Woaw!

if look weird at first cause it really makes you feel sucky for the start. But when player start moving around. Its going to be just awesome!

Reaction score
Thats not oldskool bro! Listen to Sky. 2005. Straight up hard exp. Exactly. If someone use a wing in Lorencia. Woaw!

if look weird at first cause it really makes you feel sucky for the start. But when player start moving around. Its going to be just awesome!
When i saw one guy with excell brass set +7 and 1 lvl wings..i said OH MY ***KING GOD!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thanks for reply! Personally I've reduced XP dramatically, but I'm worried about replayability, will users want such thing as hard grind? How can I go along with that with todays requirements?

NPC Buffer as retail would buff players up to XX level, no more.

Correctly NO +'ed items in shops! EVER!

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
It's not about xp,if I was you i would't lower the xp below 50-60x
it's about set up and hunting
make drop rate low and low shops, so people cant abuse items from shop to make wings or to lvl up
remove hearts,medals and all this poop whre in Global Mu where only event items
make ancient drop rate default and not easy to get, make boss an invasions 1-2 times/day and not 10x
so even if a player can reach 400 lvl in one minute ^^ he has to hunt, pt with others,etc to get his equipment and progress
then u have almost 0 afk and a strong motive for people to play in the server
and belive me,when someone invests much time to get end-game equipment,he will not quit easily
also make chaos machine slithly higher,not to much though,like 5% more for every combination

faronnia.com
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Personally, with old school servers I think the best formula is something as such:

1. Low/Mid rates, because content is limited and you don't want player to feel like he completed an MMORPG in 10 hours or something...
  2. Skins (so not everything looks the same) and good monstersetbase (really, this is something too many servers fail at doing, and yet it is so important).
  3. Balanced and well-organized shops and eventitembags(heart of love, box of kundun, etc.)
  4. Boss monsters. Basically find the strongest and coolest looking monsters in your MU server version, and make them extra strong. If you have a custom itemdroplist system, use that to your advantage to make your 'boss' monsters drop extra nice stuff.

Apart from those ideas, what makes a good server is knowledge/experience which is achieved through time and practice, as well as creativity, innovation and some sort of understanding of what makes good quality, fun gaming entertainement.

Hope this comes in handy.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
oh my.. sounds like certain server i used to be part of about 7 years ago

tho' testing period should be more like 30 days than 3 days and you should have more than just yourself doing it.

out of interest which maps do you plan on using? just season 2 ones or some new ones as well?

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Well some of servers performing do well. They do rename some of items much more think than I used to it.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I've been thinking of doing the something similar, low rate, almost all new feats custom items... Highrate servers are dull. 1 day you max 1 char. Next day you hunt enough for a 2opt set. Third day you got Weaps. 4th you get ign+L 3rdwing. 5th day enough for a 2optaccessories+HP and maybe a fenrir, then you just AFK at loren selling crap you've gathered but you cant sell them cuz events are so quick you get 2FTBoKs for scrap. 2 weeks you're looking into your next server. While afk farming/leveling on the 2nd server, you're PKing on the previous server.

Back