Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    True MemberRank
    Jun 2006 Join Date
    IGCN HQLocation
    1,010Posts

Re: MU Online Client revitalization

RaGEZONE Recommends

RaGEZONE Recommends

Just look what happens when we posted the sources of S9/S10 to community, people take them and try to make business of it instead of sharing fixes and updates for free. You can forget about any community project because this community is the most toxic and disrespectful of all MMORPG communities. If you will create and share half working client emulation, there will be individuals who will take your work, rebrand it and try to sell. Thats the only thing what you can expect to happen in this sort of projects.
    IGCN Season 13 Part 1-1 BETA Is Comming! Visit www.igcn.mu for more info!

ModeratorRank
    Oct 2014 Join Date
    Arad DomanLocation
    1,073Posts

@drakelv Completely agree. Unfortunately what can be an innocent, actual learning project for a lot of people (including myself), gets spoiled by people thinking they can take it and sell it, or build on 85% of your finished code to save time and claim the lot of it. I remember 10 years ago when there were tonnes of teams, darkzTeam, zTeam, CzF etc. I guess that is why some people load source releases with backdoors, because MOST people just want it to sell from.

A real shame for people wanting to learn as we end up hung out to dry with no local source to experiment and test with. Then if someone is nice and gives a proper, working repack, half the comments are just people wanting source instead of just enjoying the fact they could host/play with the files.
    If I helped you, please click the Like button at bottom-left of my posts. Thank you! :)
    I am also vasheni at deviantArt.com.

MemberRank
    Aug 2005 Join Date
    GermanyLocation
    195Posts

@drakelv: You are right, here are a lot of leechers and re-branders that try to make profit out of other peoples work. Even worse, there are people who actually buy this stuff... A big problem is, most people who release sources here just post their zip file and mostly run away. How to contribute? Post a fix in a forum post? That's a bullshit approach and basically leaves a message like "here you have a source, do what you want"

If I would want to start a project, I would even choose a very permissive license (e.g. MIT, Apache) and put it to GitHub. Let's be real, people here don't care what they are allowed to do... they just do it. I doubt that a freshly started project like a client remake can be sold anyway. Even if such re-branders who just added some lines of code, find buyers who see a worth in paying additional money instead of using the open source and free version, I guess they earned it somehow.
    Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Coming soon: OpenMU Project

Indigo SubscriberRank
    Mar 2008 Join Date
    750Posts

i can try help to decompile a main....
    Donate for my work =).

DONATE

MemberRank
    May 2005 Join Date
    63Posts

Well, this is another option - to decompile main completely and reverse engineer the source. But would it be feasible? That would be huge undertaking and I don't think many people have skills to contribute (I myself have no good knowledge of ASM).

True MemberRank
    Nov 2012 Join Date
    0x000000001Location
    544Posts

The fun part of this crap, i have posted a topic about a season 5.4 GMO and made a poll:

But the n00bs that voted no, never come back to post a valid reason to that.
    And i doubt that someone wants to do the things for the community would be encouraged because of this n00bs.

Again, forget it. Is a waste of time.

MemberRank
    Aug 2005 Join Date
    GermanyLocation
    195Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SmileYzn View Post
    The fun part of this crap, i have posted a topic about a season 5.4 GMO and made a poll:

But the n00bs that voted no, never come back to post a valid reason to that.
    And i doubt that someone wants to do the things for the community would be encouraged because of this n00bs.

Again, forget it. Is a waste of time.
    Why don't you give a sh*t about the opinion of 2 people out of 16?

Anyways, a bit offtopic: You rely on sources of MuEmu, but don't release the sources of your own changes? Of course, you can do that, but then you don't have to wonder why this community is like it is... My opinion: I as a developer don't see much value for the community in contributing to a closed source project.
    Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

True MemberRank
    Nov 2012 Join Date
    0x000000001Location
    544Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nevS View Post
    Why don't you give a sh*t about the opinion of 2 people out of 16?

Anyways, a bit offtopic: You rely on sources of MuEmu, but don't release the sources of your own changes? Of course, you can do that, but then you don't have to wonder why this community is like it is... My opinion: I as a developer don't see much value for the community in contributing to a closed source project.
    I already discuss this, but read my first posts that is exactly i am trying to say here.
    Because of 2 shits whole community will pay the price, in any re-make or custom of muonline.

Also my sources? bro, you can download muemu sources and do same work as mine. Why i need to supposed post my sources here?
    Never do judgment about sources when you can do same work. If you can't do it, i think that you are in wrong forum.

MemberRank
    Aug 2005 Join Date
    GermanyLocation
    195Posts

I guess you didn't understand what I was trying to say :-( Anyways, it seems like it doesn't make sense to discuss that with you.

MemberRank
    Nov 2016 Join Date
    NoriaLocation
    152Posts

forget it, try decompile newest main is better.

MemberRank
    Aug 2006 Join Date
    POLAND <3Location
    35Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkof View Post
    Few years ago I decompiled like 70% of S6 main as IGCN team member. I had literally everything I wanted from this game, file formats, whole render (maps, objects, effects) and internal structs (items, game objects like players and monsters). Parts of this decompilation were included in IGCN S6 Dll with custom monsters and other stuff (we called it silver edition). I decided to drop this project, and to move everything to external project where I tried to rewrite MU engine (basing on this decompilation). While it was very successful I realized that writing engine itself is just waste of time. Please don't repeat my mistakes, because this engine is literally black hole.
    Later I moved whole project to Unity engine. Today after few more years, it's still not ready. This is not something you can code it one one or two years. And larger team won't make it any better, maybe more chaotic. After all this years I'm sure that community will never finish such complex task. Actually publishing SRC would kill that project. Look at other MU projects. Most of them are successful because they are one-man projects, or are made by very hermetic teams like IGCN. Even Deathway 0.99.60 decompilation (which is probably the best thing that happened to this community like 10 years ago?) it wasn't large community project, it was mostly two guys with some help (correct me if I'm wrong, it was long time ^^).

I can share few screens from our work:
    https://www.screencast.com/t/TMa7uvoJJACE
    https://www.screencast.com/t/VRZIU31qKzJV
    https://www.screencast.com/t/qTVMvbwm

While It's playable, it's not even close to be finished.

MemberRank
    Apr 2017 Join Date
    0x0000428Location
    26Posts

Quote Originally Posted by supron View Post
    Few years ago I decompiled like 70% of S6 main as IGCN team member. I had literally everything I wanted from this game, file formats, whole render (maps, objects, effects) and internal structs (items, game objects like players and monsters). Parts of this decompilation were included in IGCN S6 Dll with custom monsters and other stuff (we called it silver edition). I decided to drop this project, and to move everything to external project where I tried to rewrite MU engine (basing on this decompilation). While it was very successful I realized that writing engine itself is just waste of time. Please don't repeat my mistakes, because this engine is literally black hole.
    Later I moved whole project to Unity engine. Today after few more years, it's still not ready. This is not something you can code it one one or two years. And larger team won't make it any better, maybe more chaotic. After all this years I'm sure that community will never finish such complex task. Actually publishing SRC would kill that project. Look at other MU projects. Most of them are successful because they are one-man projects, or are made by very hermetic teams like IGCN. Even Deathway 0.99.60 decompilation (which is probably the best thing that happened to this community like 10 years ago?) it wasn't large community project, it was mostly two guys with some help (correct me if I'm wrong, it was long time ^^).

I can share few screens from our work:
    https://www.screencast.com/t/TMa7uvoJJACE
    https://www.screencast.com/t/VRZIU31qKzJV
    https://www.screencast.com/t/qTVMvbwm

While It's playable, it's not even close to be finished.
    wow, i think you decompiled function make effect for dl cape.can you share it?
    no effect when add custom cape :(

MemberRank
    Aug 2005 Join Date
    GermanyLocation
    195Posts

@supron: Thanks for your insights. I also think decompiling the main.exe and rebuilding it's engine is a huge task. Writing an own engine nowadays is always a bad idea, since there are a half dozen good ones out there. How did you manage to read the mu client resources? Did you convert all, or did you write code to read them in as-is?
    I understand why a larger team could make it worse... I see it at work (~10m LOC, ~30 Devs) every day :D However, this problems are more organizational... I think it's totally possible to work on such a project with more people. It's all about splitting the work in as many unrelated parts and work items as possible, so more teams/people can work on it independently. It doesn't matter for the success if it's open source or not... the fact that closed source projects had more success here, is based on the fact that there are not many serious open source projects here. And that's because most developers here want to make money instead of helping the community

True MemberRank
    Oct 2007 Join Date
    ArgentinaLocation
    1,177Posts

sad Re: MU Online Client revitalization

Sorry if I'm late for this discussion... I think some of you might not agree with what I'm going to say, but at the same time... I know that many of you know that I'm right, in saying, that I'm perhaps one of the most interested in this topic, for several years now. The question is to give back to the community something of everything that it gave us for so many years, to decompile a main.exe completely is very complicated, to decompile some isolated functions (as many of you know that I have done), is not the solution either. The best idea would be to get the original source code, and from there, try to improve it.

Some decompilations made by me, and ASM code... etc and nothing... Community is Shi*

Custom Bows & Crossbows Client Source (1.03K)
    Decompiled DrawObjectOnViewport Function (1.03K) JPN
    Drawing Visual Numbers on Items by Level (Bundled) Source 1.03K
    Decompiled gObjCreatePet function from main.exe (1.03.15) eng
    New Load & Play Wav Sound Sources For 1.04d (GMO)

Main src ????? :O Ohhh my fucki** god!!:

Last edited by Kiosani; 09-05-17 at 06:06 AM.

True MemberRank
    Sep 2004 Join Date
    BrazilLocation
    306Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nevS View Post
    How did you manage to read the mu client resources? Did you convert all, or did you write code to read them in as-is?
    Last time we have converted all files to .fbx (autodesk), since it was more Unity friendly and it is much more easy to manage...
    Like this: http://i.imgur.com/KvhTwaJ.jpg

Also if you want to use "as it is", you will need to rearrange all the data on the memory, since you can't use VBO because WZ interleaved all data information.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Advertisement