Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Mu Online Graphics Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
That is true. I mean the Mu Online graphic personally are really good except texture and detail like on SmallHabit's ss:

BEFORE
Heights - Mu Online Graphics Engine - RaGEZONE Forums

AFTER

The face for example I mean I would love if it look more like a face it would look a lot better.

And Bigman screenshot if it was to be able to increase like in zemattana screenshot without lag it will be a whole new level to Mu!

Reaction score
That is true. I mean the Mu Online graphic personally are really good except texture and detail like on SmallHabit's ss:

BEFORE

AFTER

The face for example I mean I would love if it look more like a face it would look a lot better.

And Bigman screenshot if it was to be able to increase like in zemattana screenshot without lag it will be a whole new level to Mu!

cant open links...

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
In theme of graphic in MU : :)

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

There is some pics :

BEFORE

AFTER

But this is only texture improvement with OGL functions. Also with all this stuff FPS still is 20-21(Standart fps for Mu)

Where can you find a client?

Master Summoner
Reaction score
i think the story and content are more important than graphics, but of course the graphics shouldn't be like mario, but i'm happy with the graphics of mu :p it's like mu style
I'm sorry, but the story for MuOnline is crap. Gameplay needs some improvements too, tho the new seasons seem to try to fix that. And sure, it's mu-style alright, but that has nothing to do with this thread. this thread is about how lame the graphics engine for Mu is.
I completely agree, Mu DOES need a re-write. However though, Mu is just a side-project for Webzen to make extra money. Right now they are focusing on new games though. It's weird though - I mean, the game is bloody 2.5D, how exactly does one make a 2.5D engine that actually laggs? It's an accomplishment if you ask me.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
As I posted some time ago now there are few initiatives that opens a new road for older game engines. From one side we have ENBSeries with Direct3D9 (and testing 8) support in few titles (officially...and few more unofficially). However I tested it... it is power hungry and doesn't give fine output. OpenGL has opened way to improvement too. It's done through some tricky OpenGL call detection and swapping. This way is used in MGShader and NWShader (both projects now are developed as one initiative VoodooShader). I guess that second one might prove useful in any bigger Mu graphics improvement. Although visual quality improvement might come with much greater hw requirement. AF can be forced through drivers. Don't know if NV SSAO force settings works with MU too (as I do not have capable NV card <G80+>). MSAA can be forced too but it usually sux as it blends in-game text too. MU engine is old OGL with CPU bound functions that's why it becomes so laggy sometimes. I guess there's no way to actually fix that, but perhaps there's a way to improve rendering without decreasing framerate at all. I can only dream about bump mapping (or POM) but most postproc effects and fullscreen shaders should be available.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but the story for MuOnline is crap. Gameplay needs some improvements too, tho the new seasons seem to try to fix that. And sure, it's mu-style alright, but that has nothing to do with this thread. this thread is about how lame the graphics engine for Mu is.
I completely agree, Mu DOES need a re-write. However though, Mu is just a side-project for Webzen to make extra money. Right now they are focusing on new games though. It's weird though - I mean, the game is bloody 2.5D, how exactly does one make a 2.5D engine that actually laggs? It's an accomplishment if you ask me.

+10000000

Webzen should be ashamed of themselves =(

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Before you attack webzen about his work,
dont forget that this game isnt made one or two years ago.
It makes no sense to compaire to modern days games.
Anyway even Blizzard had his move and develop his engine to
statisfy the gamer community. (In graphic, I dont mention gameplay yet.)
I think thats one of the reasons why came out MuBLue in Korea. (But I personaly dont
see any difference in it. :)) I keep focusing on this game and the company
almost 5 years ago. And what is see is they rather releasing a new game, than
recompose an older one.

Last edited:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Just to let you all know, global Main.exe uses now 1~7% CPU. the older mains uses ~25% CPU.

So.. maybe webzen decided to start using a bit GPU power ? xD

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
It got better, yes... but in game it still uses ~20% cpu(i5 750).

Well i just did some tests again.

In crowded Lorencia the CPU uses ~20% CPU power and ~0% GPU power.

In Lost Tower 7 CPU usage is ~5% and GPU usage ~50% (!!!).

You can actually "feel" that the texture quality is rendering MUCH better then before. its like they turned vertical sync on.. lol.

My rig:
i5 750 @ 3.8ghz
HD5850 @ 775/1125

Thumbs Up for Webzen! :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back