Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

MU Server Design Guidelines - A different gameplay experience

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'm here just to bring a proposal for the ones with time to make a server. I really wish I could make one myself but I have no time and money for that.

I play MU since the early ages and time to time I try to find a private server to play with but I always stumble on the same problems, so I just had the idea to create a new concept guidelines to create servers (based on my experience on Game Dev) that are more adventurous and have a better active playing time than just the plain "find a spot, camp there and go do something else until you reset".
The examples are based on old pre-season, but can be used on seasons easily too.

I compiled a bunch of ideas into this PDF and I want to share it with you guys. Please share it anywhere you can too.
And if you make a server using this concept please contact me here I really want to play/test it!
(not sure where to post this so posted here)

PDF
View attachment MU Design EN-US.pdf

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'm here just to bring a proposal for the ones with time to make a server. I really wish I could make one myself but I have no time and money for that.

I play MU since the early ages and time to time I try to find a private server to play with but I always stumble on the same problems, so I just had the idea to create a new concept guidelines to create servers (based on my experience on Game Dev) that are more adventurous and have a better active playing time than just the plain "find a spot, camp there and go do something else until you reset".
The examples are based on old pre-season, but can be used on seasons easily too.

I compiled a bunch of ideas into this PDF and I want to share it with you guys. Please share it anywhere you can too.
And if you make a server using this concept please contact me here I really want to play/test it!
(not sure where to post this so posted here)

PDF
View attachment 162511

I really like your idea of the reset system. A lot of the things you are aksing for is hardcoded in the mu server files, so it's pretty hard for the average Mu Server administrator to changes some of the steps in your manifest. But i'm all in for the play to win kind of server. Make Zen an actual value, make teamwork an advantage for all players, so both the droprate, zenrate and exprate increases. Last time i made a Mu Server was serverfiles 97d + 99i, and now i'm trying once again, and holy**** a lot of new configuration for the individual server to make it more personalized. Keep on the passion for the game, mabye one day a developer will look into these kind of things. Thanks for your input.

Reaction score
uhm, i do not think a reset system is a poor way of play mu online, but in fact a lot of servers uses monsters hp and drops that are a mess with overpower characters or configs. But is not the problem with reset system itself. See a zens example, a lot of servers have /zen command (Absurd). Nobody wants a hard global like server, but need to differ how exp and items are given and how it will used on server. Also a lot of servers tried to re-make the wheel creating or changing how MU works with new trade, coin or reward systems. The problem with MU online it is the game itself, it only cumulative way of playing that exists in game, like more points, more ways to evolve characters, more class etc. I guess the better way is make MU more intuitive with more options of evolve characters, more combinations with exp/items to make game better. Not only a new system of points, or items (like ancient, sockets and elemental like webzen fail on add it at game).

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
uhm, i do not think a reset system is a poor way of play mu online, but in fact a lot of servers uses monsters hp and drops that are a mess with overpower characters or configs. But is not the problem with reset system itself. See a zens example, a lot of servers have /zen command (Absurd). Nobody wants a hard global like server, but need to differ how exp and items are given and how it will used on server. Also a lot of servers tried to re-make the wheel creating or changing how MU works with new trade, coin or reward systems. The problem with MU online it is the game itself, it only cumulative way of playing that exists in game, like more points, more ways to evolve characters, more class etc. I guess the better way is make MU more intuitive with more options of evolve characters, more combinations with exp/items to make game better. Not only a new system of points, or items (like ancient, sockets and elemental like webzen fail on add it at game).

One of the things Kcilds mention is the different resets on different maps thing. I see a lot of unused maps like the dungeons ect. with this kind of reset system you travel a lot more in the mu continent, which gives you another experience of the game rather than staying the same spot "masturbating" and wait for the respawn. But in the same time is it not the beaty of Mu, that you have the difference in all types of servers, so it suits the type of server you would like to play?

Reaction score
I preffer a non-reset server xD. Also you can instead of use level to play/kill certain mobs, you can use requisites to reach these maps. Like kill amount of mobs to can enter in next map or something else like a quest system. But still with the same problem of up character. Or can combine level + requisites to reach / enter in other maps. I think it is better than simple use level to reach maps.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
The non reset server is too applicable to the principles of this design: Spread people over maps, make loot more important, make active play time more frequent, grouping turned into something, etc.
Just do the calculations to make people reach end game within an time span that you think its fair.
The most important idea here is: Active playtime over AFK play!
I'm not saying one is better than other (Active x AFK), just brought a different view from the common MU Servers.
(if there is any server like this please point it out here cause I would love to play)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I would love to see a server where monsterspawn is set in small groups of different mobs with a boss to conquer. This would make teamwork nessicery to get the mobs killed.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
What I think about resets in MU servers is that they basically make the whole "old server - i'm not starting here" mentality. Whoever gets more resets - snowballs his progress further and further - making any effort useless as a new player because their progression speed is significantly slower and there is nothing to slow down the top player in his power increase.

If I had to suggest an idea for the resets system. I would suggest to add a diminishing return for resets. Every next reset should give less power so new players can eventually catch up without giving up their real life to spend 24/7 in MU.

The system is pretty simple, let's say that there is 400 points per reset.

1st reset: additional 400 points
2nd reset: additional 350 points
3rd reset: additional 300 points
4th reset: additional 250 points
5th reset: additional 200 points
Nth reset: additional 50 points (minimum value)

Until a certain minimum limit is reached, like 50 points per reset. This way when your server has top ranking of:

1. SomeNoLifePlayer - 50 resets
2. PlayerWithSomeLife - 12 resets
3. PlayerWithEvenMoreLife - 10 resets
4. PlayerWithFairlyNormalLife - 9 resets
5. PlayerWithNormalLife - 8 resets

You can still have enjoyable Castle Siege and gameplay. The maniacs can still progress their characters while other players don't feel hopeless during events when trying to contest anything.

The diminishing return can either be flat amount of points or can be a percentage decrease in stats increase. The base stats value and minimum value can also be adjusted on the fly.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Why reset system?
This game works best on non resets:)
That's how it was designed.
There are endless possibilities to create somethi g unique and much better than webzen made.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
What I think about resets in MU servers is that they basically make the whole "old server - i'm not starting here" mentality. Whoever gets more resets - snowballs his progress further and further - making any effort useless as a new player because their progression speed is significantly slower and there is nothing to slow down the top player in his power increase.

Great contribution :)
this would really make the game harder but I don't think it's going to solve PvP problems too much since the problem here is not in the power snowball but in the how easy is to achieve the power after you get some items/resets. If you create an Monster wall that forces the players to stop their grind to hunt for better loot.. that would be more efficient since the player will be unable to reset further without stronger equipments, cause it can't beat harder beasts (at least it would take an eternity of boredom to reset)
So BC and other events would get more or less balanced without nerfing the player progress. But if we combo my idea with yours.. I think it would make something cool but not extremely necessary, maybe a pain in the ...
Why reset system?
This game works best on non resets:)
That's how it was designed.
There are endless possibilities to create somethi g unique and much better than webzen made.

Hell Yeah! I made this with the reset in my mind but the idea is the same for non reset: spread people around maps and make them hunt for loot and bosses.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Most developers and server renters don’t want to risk. They thought going after webzen setting is the ideal. In contrast, webzen gameplay is super boring. Whereat, their content is addictive becuase i guess we are growing up playing this game.

While experience developers chasing behind webzen’s shadow by upgrade their files to the newest seasons, admin game renters are too afraid to take risk changing the game content. I guess becuase the good files are expensive. This leaves behind many game server low or high season meaningless.

For me, Im not an experience developer but I want to create a server with custom context. Moving far away from webzen. Becuase I can see the potential of this game being exciting. Although I use released source codes for the server, I’m willing to take risk. Creating this game to be exciting to play.

Due to my busy schedual, I can only code a little bit a day. But this is what I came up with so far:

Papper Check out my channel here:

Reaction score
Most developers and server renters don’t want to risk. They thought going after webzen setting is the ideal. In contrast, webzen gameplay is super boring. Whereat, their content is addictive becuase i guess we are growing up playing this game.

While experience developers chasing behind webzen’s shadow by upgrade their files to the newest seasons, admin game renters are too afraid to take risk changing the game content. I guess becuase the good files are expensive. This leaves behind many game server low or high season meaningless.

For me, Im not an experience developer but I want to create a server with custom context. Moving far away from webzen. Becuase I can see the potential of this game being exciting. Although I use released source codes for the server, I’m willing to take risk. Creating this game to be exciting to play.

Due to my busy schedual, I can only code a little bit a day. But this is what I came up with so far:

Papper Check out my channel here:

The cool part is that you move out of webzen design, some problems can appears, and this future probles will need "WebZen Way" solutions.
Anyway only who maintain a live server with a couple of accounts know about these problems xD

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
The cool part is that you move out of webzen design, some problems can appears, and this future probles will need "WebZen Way" solutions.
Anyway only who maintain a live server with a couple of accounts know about these problems xD
Please bring up some of this problems. I understand the risk when it come up to public, but my design just fill the gap between starting a new char and getting your wings. So is not that kind of custom featured idea. But if you guys with experience have any problem in mind that you could point out please make a list so we can try to think a way around those problems without falling into the korean way of gameplay.

Reaction score
Please bring up some of this problems. I understand the risk when it come up to public, but my design just fill the gap between starting a new char and getting your wings. So is not that kind of custom featured idea. But if you guys with experience have any problem in mind that you could point out please make a list so we can try to think a way around those problems without falling into the korean way of gameplay.

Imagine a full server with 100 characters in lorencia bro, with a lot of custom wings or custom effect overpowed Ducking items.
That is why some items are very rare in server not only other custom.

Did you have two solutions for heavy lag with these customs:
- Remove it
- Make it weird

But i guess that first option is not viable, since players already payed for items or just admin can't remove it no?
that is the same for other items events etc..

i will back to the beginning : MU is accumulative in things, there is the main problem of any RPG i guess.
The main problem for admins in MU: They cant simple open source code of client to add more things, like a new character, skills events map and others.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Imagine a full server with 100 characters in lorencia bro, with a lot of custom wings or custom effect overpowed Ducking items.

- Remove it
- Make it weird

But i guess that first option is not viable, since players already payed for items or just admin can't remove it no?

i will back to the beginning : MU is accumulative in things, there is the main problem of any RPG i guess.
The main problem for admins in MU: They cant simple open source code of client to add more things, like a new character, skills events map and others.

Both the lag problems and the addition of new character, skills and maps can be all done through reversing and patching the client.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

- Remove it
- Make it weird

Ah ok.. you were talking about customs like the server of the other guy here.. i tought it was about my design.
Yeah.. fancy customs can get pretty messy.. already saw a non custom server lag on lorencia when the full guys were there, but MU always lag when there are too many people on the map.
Whatever... the point here is thats possible to create good designs without getting too fancy in graphics too so...

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
The secret is to reduce the number of objects fisplayed in the same time on the screen.
The actual objects, their numbers, not necesarly their design and texture quality, decrease the performance.So a good way would be to have less BMD files and combine more objects into one. It's a pretty hard job to be done but it can be done through 3d modeling and designs...just that it would take too much time to edit every map and do such a project...
The other way around this was started by pinkof i think...but it means remaking the game completly....directx 10/11 compatible

Last edited:
Back