Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Are MuEngines "legal" in a way?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi, as of the thread title,

After buying MuEngines from any of the companies providing the service..

Can we say that we are "legalised" to market it publicly?

Reaction score
il bet you mean, mu emulators.
about is that legal, webzen dont care about servers outside ASIA, or even there i think, and who else in EU or USA will check?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
because i have a project coming up early Nov. Calling it MuOnlineSEA , and i plan to market it real time like publicly in my country. is it legal?

Kingdom of Shadows
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I know a guy doing this in a country located on ASIA continent and he had no problem so far(very big server). Pay the contributions to your country and don't give a poop on webzen, they will first have to warn you then act in court.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thank you sir, i will remember that. im planning to do it for the south-east asia people and of course for any other person in other countries

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well, Personally I can tell you that the only illegal thing here is using Webzen's game client. If emulator contains more than 85% of own code Webzen cannot do anything to its developers. About using such file.. they would be a right to claim anything only if your prospering would affect their business in serious way. I would not care about it anyway. This game is already owned by community, they lost this game ^^

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Server side is not the issue, as its emulated and can ignored in court.
Big problem is the client, which is not emulated and by using/modifying it you are valuating webzen's rights.

BUT, then every single players (not server owner) that uses the client to connect other server then official mu server, is valuating a rule, so webzen would need to take legal actions against any player aswell, which they cannot do, so they just ignore everything ^_^

Moreover, they dont have any rights outside of Asia (mu is not registered worldwide)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well, Personally I can tell you that the only illegal thing here is using Webzen's game client. If emulator contains more than 85% of own code Webzen cannot do anything to its developers. About using such file.. they would be a right to claim anything only if your prospering would affect their business in serious way. I would not care about it anyway. This game is already owned by community, they lost this game ^^

Hey there, the emulator i'm planning to buy is yours. i think it was you that i talked to on skype. ginters? but i would really want to make it so that the asian community would have a place to call their own... it'll be nice to hear some feedbacks from experienced hosters/developers on the procedures so i will know what are my limitations in marketing.

Reaction score
Where did you get this 85% rule from? I think an emulator containing any of webzens code (and not to forget configuration files) is violating the copyright of webzen. However, things like that are hard to prove by webzen, if they only get your binaries.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
using samples of code that are less than 15% of whole application project cannot be treated as violating the rights, it is how the law is in whole EU. Of course such company has a right to sue the other one, however chances to win a lower than 0. Note that similar code could be done by any other developer and it is not exact dot in dot then nothing that can be done.

Also, important is the law of country the files are distributed in, also Webzen's copyright for Mó (1) are very limited. This is also one of the reason they do not take any serious steps against it. It is not worth to pay for world wide rights, very strict ones as these are huge money, it is better to invest them in new game which is Mó 2.

NN - Nord & Noob
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Well.. alot "emulators" are nothing, but a 60 ~ 90% same webzens code. Mather of fact while u use webzens main.exe u can be fucked up ))

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Call "(Game Name) server" is inlegal cause violate copyrigths of the game. Using a "Private Server Emulator" (Sniffing packets from official mu) is legal while it dosn't has copyrigths or any Licence Type.

Using a "Game client", you can host it, but if the server have valid Copyrigths or licence valid until the date that become inlegal.
Also you can use any file hosting (If the hoster decide to delete it, you can't do nothing. Just reupload it into another server) and link it whit an link shortener like bit.ly or goo.gl while that use of the link dont violate Agreement Terms and conditions.

Another way to use game client is by patch, let the user download the game (Don't host it) and give him a patch (files whitout copyrights or any Licence Type). For the server part this is legal, for the user not soo much. But nobody want to look each user of a server, him minds nothing for legal software.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Call "(Game Name) server" is inlegal cause violate copyrigths of the game. Using a "Private Server Emulator" (Sniffing packets from official mu) is legal while it dosn't has copyrigths or any Licence Type.

Using a "Game client", you can host it, but if the server have valid Copyrigths or licence valid until the date that become inlegal.
Also you can use any file hosting (If the hoster decide to delete it, you can't do nothing. Just reupload it into another server) and link it whit an link shortener like bit.ly or goo.gl while that use of the link dont violate Agreement Terms and conditions.

Another way to use game client is by patch, let the user download the game (Don't host it) and give him a patch (files whitout copyrights or any Licence Type). For the server part this is legal, for the user not soo much. But nobody want to look each user of a server, him minds nothing for legal software.

google translate ftw.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I haven't used it D:
Anyway, your post is really helpfuly into the thread.

Yes, very useful. As the others replied, there is nothing wrong with doing that, so, long story short, go ahead, if you get in prison for copyrights write us down.

PS: DO NOT DROP THE SOAP.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Mu server hosting is most dangerous thing you can do on internet, the police is waiting that administrators make one mistake, and life time jail time is guaranteed, as for my self i already have probation, if they catch me with new mu server im dead man!

but realy, webzen dont give any fck about private servers, it is compleatly safe to host mu outside china or korea... or maybe i can be wrong, but where im at, idc :D

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I know a guy doing this in a country located on ASIA continent and he had no problem so far(very big server). Pay the contributions to your country and don't give a poop on webzen, they will first have to warn you then act in court.
Boss, I'd like to know who this guy is? Or at least the name of the server? I'm trying to do a study among different large servers for my little project. Thanks!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

What are you talking about? I seriously can't understand anything of what you just said. Owell...

ontopic: Emulator=Good. Client=Bad. Can't get easier than that.

NN - Nord & Noob
Loyal Member
Reaction score
edited out :F

None of Mu - Emulators is legit ;) If u are for real, go pay lawyer 50$ and him will explain u, no mather what u can be fucked up ;)

Last edited:
Back