Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Too many private servers!!

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
There's too many private servers popping left and right nowadays, I'm beginning to think they're run by some criminal entities as most of these servers have poor/lacking in services. Admins/GMs rarely interact with their players, or, they just don't care. Recently, I have been hopping servers with my guild, selecting from xtremetop100/TopG. After two weeks of opening, the population is cut in half as another server opens up a new "sub-server" (x500;x50;x9999, etc.). Two weeks and only ten people are left active, the other 95% of the population is in zombie mode (offattack/offlevel function). So we hop to another "new" sub-server and the same thing happens. We've been to about seven servers and I got fed up from starting over and over again in just a span of eight months.Maybe it's just better to play an MMORPG on a "mainstream" server!!

MuADMIN
Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I was about to delete this, but I don't believe there is any criminal or whatever activities, even if there might be, what would that be? We are not abusing webzen's license in EU at all and overall I see no issues, just be careful of scammer and hackers that try to phish and trick u and ur players instead

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I was about to delete this, but I don't believe there is any criminal or whatever activities, even if there might be, what would that be? We are not abusing webzen's license in EU at all and overall I see no issues, just be careful of scammer and hackers that try to phish and trick u and ur players instead

We are abusing everything there is to do with Webzen's property. If webzen really wanted to, they could take everything down. It is the same as you would open McDonald's restaurant without buying a franchise(Because Webzen actually offers you an option to become a business partner and buy rights for their game and launch it similar to franchising). whether webzen can be bothered to spend their time on poor servers like original post mentioned, by the looks of it they don't care, as bad private servers only forces players to go back to the original, which works perfectly for Webzen.
I just really would like people to understand this,running private servers and usage of emulators/someone's intellectual property is still well, pirating/stealing and in no way private servers are protected by this ''illusion'' that Webzen doesn't have rights of their own property in Europe or any other region in fact.

MuADMIN
Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
We are abusing everything there is to do with Webzen's property. If webzen really wanted to, they could take everything down. It is the same as you would open McDonald's restaurant without buying a franchise(Because Webzen actually offers you an option to become a business partner and buy rights for their game and launch it similar to franchising). whether webzen can be bothered to spend their time on poor servers like original post mentioned, by the looks of it they don't care, as bad private servers only forces players to go back to the original, which works perfectly for Webzen.
I just really would like people to understand this,running private servers and usage of emulators/someone's intellectual property is still well, pirating/stealing and in no way private servers are protected by this ''illusion'' that Webzen doesn't have rights of their own property in Europe or any other region in fact.

Well and thats the point..
even if they take us all down, we will come BACK STRONGER...
what is webzen? they are hiding behind their games and their name thats all.. sorry but they have been K.O'd since they started.

About your illusion mentioning, it does make alot of sense imo, and i know from experience that webzen does shut down OTHER THINGS but not freaking muservers! for example.. my release of my ARENA REMAKE, why would they claim copyright on my download links when i released it on that crap ? :) cus they cannot DO much more mate, they can only shut us down, but we can always come BACK and even stronger, its even free to come back, and thats what we are doing all the time, servers die and come back and so on, thats why its no worth it so their claims COST MORE TIME and EFFORT than us making the server which is unworthy so i think everyone should just keep doing what u doing enjoy it and if they try to put us down, we know what to do and that wont happen ever! unless they detect a special server that is really really worth to kill.

Please come with some research about that 'illusion thing' cuz i wanna know why is it an illusion suddenly... ;) there is IGCN/XTEAM/MUEM../ all these teams selling 'files' but providing the same freakin client that webzen does with some patching and cracking thats also illegal, but why don't they do anything about it when we patch main.exe and all this ? Because i am sure webzen doesnt care 0 about the private servers, they will be always the 1st and ONLY that will be forever evolving and Long term, why would they take things personally, if they wont even get any monoey by suing us? i dont believe its even worth to talk about it, from my view.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Well and thats the point..
even if they take us all down, we will come BACK STRONGER...
what is webzen? they are hiding behind their games and their name thats all.. sorry but they have been K.O'd since they started.

About your illusion mentioning, it does make alot of sense imo, and i know from experience that webzen does shut down OTHER THINGS but not freaking muservers! for example.. my release of my ARENA REMAKE, why would they claim copyright on my download links when i released it on that crap ? :) cus they cannot DO much more mate, they can only shut us down, but we can always come BACK and even stronger, its even free to come back, and thats what we are doing all the time, servers die and come back and so on, thats why its no worth it so their claims COST MORE TIME and EFFORT than us making the server which is unworthy so i think everyone should just keep doing what u doing enjoy it and if they try to put us down, we know what to do and that wont happen ever! unless they detect a special server that is really really worth to kill.

Please come with some research about that 'illusion thing' cuz i wanna know why is it an illusion suddenly... ;) there is IGCN/XTEAM/MUEM../ all these teams selling 'files' but providing the same freakin client that webzen does with some patching and cracking thats also illegal, but why don't they do anything about it when we patch main.exe and all this ? Because i am sure webzen doesnt care 0 about the private servers, they will be always the 1st and ONLY that will be forever evolving and Long term, why would they take things personally, if they wont even get any monoey by suing us? i dont believe its even worth to talk about it, from my view.

I mean we are on the same page here and you answered it all yourself already.

''Illusion'' was a reference to your mention of Webzens lack of power/authority regarding copyrights/licence in EU, that's all, I just want for people to understand when it comes to what private servers/files are, from how you wrote it, someone could misunderstand that.

Of course they won't be interested in private servers, unless someone gets significant player base that can actually damage their revenues and even then, all they can do is just push claims and get it shut without even any legal action involved. (this used to be quite common with wow private servers when blizzard was sweeping them left and right because they had tens of thousands of players).

Why would they shut down emulator developers?(except when it comes to their game client which is anyway provided from webzen initially, just with some tweaks here and there with main.exe etc.) Of course they could, but if you have noticed then very rarely IGC/XTEAM/MUEMU or others have any association with running actual servers. They sell well, could be a calculator software that is written by them. I believe(might be wrong) that webzens server setup and software what they use is far different from what we know, again I am speculating it here. on top of that we don't know, maybe webzen is taking action against these devs, but they just keep rotating.

Last edited:
MuADMIN
Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
@NewMuPlanet

Well said too, i mean why would they shut down my remake of arena, it was really random.. and i mean it, it happened.. so why wouldnt they shut down a server using for example my arena remake? im sure thats possible, but thats more like 'not in their control and worth to defeat' its not just like a youtube video or download link, which is super simple, bringing servers down is a diff story i am very very sure, there are servers which are definetly better than webzen in Protection and lags and all this, but there is always an end froom most private servers and thats why webzen doesnt care much, they all go back to webzen :D i mean why wouldnt they shut down the emulators ? we still are using original webzen resources in client which was the same thing i did with my arena re-skin.

Back to topic: the crimi thing is just the same thing that could happen form any other private servers from this forum that is advertised so i doubt we are the ones who should focus there, unless you want to focus on your own server and dont let that happen ;)

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
if you think there are too many servers nowdays, you should have been around back in the golden times when season 3 ep 2 and season 4 were coming out and servers popped up left and right.

the overall situation of muonline private server scene is just a remnant of what it used to be back in the day, things were kind of same back then aswell, new servers always got a load of people interested, but mostly could keep the playerbase for a very short time, the biggest difference really is diminishing of overall playerbase.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
First 4 mu onlines that are in top, are administrated by same admin , same LAME CONFIG,no idea about administration and IT , same bugs,same errors. COpy-paste.

Server are alive for about 2-4 weeks, then dies...then he opens another one,and another one... just for money.

proof>

MangTaZ - Too many private servers!! - RaGEZONE Forums

Last edited:
Reaction score
First 4 mu onlines that are in top, are administrated by same admin , same LAME CONFIG,no idea about administration and IT , same bugs,same errors. COpy-paste.

Server are alive for about 2-4 weeks, then dies...then he opens another one,and another one... just for money.

proof>

maybe you have IP ban, they all look online

About topic, i think the private servers are keeping muonline alive, with all the advertising and different styles of mu worlds, the more servers there are the better, few servers even have way more than webzen official server does, and all of them are commercial, just like all webzen games.

Last edited:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
There's too many private servers popping left and right nowadays, I'm beginning to think they're run by some criminal entities as most of these servers have poor/lacking in services.

What do you think "private" servers are if not a criminal service?

Each and every "private" server violates a lot of copyrights and other intellectual property protection laws. If you violate any of these laws you are, by definition, a criminal.

As well stated by NewMuPlanet publishing a "private" server when you do not have the rights to do it (which only the IP owner can give to you) may lead Webzen to shut you down or go even further and sue everything and everyone related to this criminal publishing act.

I can't understand why such a basic logical, moral and rational subject be so misunderstood by communities like this one. The mental masturbation ppl go into just to justify publishing an illegal mu server is madness...

Reaction score
What do you think "private" servers are if not a criminal service?

Each and every "private" server violates a lot of copyrights and other intellectual property protection laws. If you violate any of these laws you are, by definition, a criminal.

As well stated by NewMuPlanet publishing a "private" server when you do not have the rights to do it (which only the IP owner can give to you) may lead Webzen to shut you down or go even further and sue everything and everyone related to this criminal publishing act.

I can't understand why such a basic logical, moral and rational subject be so misunderstood by communities like this one. The mental masturbation ppl go into just to justify publishing an illegal mu server is madness...

I have never talk about it, becuase it was a hard hit for me, but i was from the very few people who have been target by Webzen.
Sorry to tell you but they can't close your server in Europe for example, but sure they can mess with paypal, googledrive download links e.t.c

I'm not sure if something changed by the time that happend to me, but when you running a newer version than GMO from China, then is a big problem.. however i am not the corrcet guy to give correct answer on that, since MuLegend and MegaMu and other Big servers are alive and on another level.. and still untouchable. I don't even mention servers thats online for 10-15 years.. i would like to hear from someone more experienced than us.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I have never talk about it, becuase it was a hard hit for me, but i was from the very few people who have been target by Webzen.
Sorry to tell you but they can't close your server in Europe for example, but sure they can mess with paypal, googledrive download links e.t.c

This one intrigues me, could you share a bit more on this one? As you mentioned you have had an experience dealing with big W yourself, so this is something community would like to know.

Should someone write an anonymous letter to Webzen and ask them about this all and their point of view? Probably not going to get a response, but would be good to know once and for all?
I strongly believe they can close down any server anywhere, but it would take too much time dealing with this all, for example if they want to close down a server they need to chase it up where it is hosted, then file a case to that countries specific authority based on breach of their copyrights/intellectual property, then get a response from the local authority about to be able to even approach the hosting service company where they believe that server is hosted and so on and on and on...takes too much time, too much effort, with very little return.
but again, if anyone has got any info on this tell your story.

Reaction score
This one intrigues me, could you share a bit more on this one? As you mentioned you have had an experience dealing with big W yourself, so this is something community would like to know.

Should someone write an anonymous letter to Webzen and ask them about this all and their point of view? Probably not going to get a response, but would be good to know once and for all?
I strongly believe they can close down any server anywhere, but it would take too much time dealing with this all, for example if they want to close down a server they need to chase it up where it is hosted, then file a case to that countries specific authority based on breach of their copyrights/intellectual property, then get a response from the local authority about to be able to even approach the hosting service company where they believe that server is hosted and so on and on and on...takes too much time, too much effort, with very little return.
but again, if anyone has got any info on this tell your story.

So an old friends told me, they can't really touch you if you running old versions, ( i was running season2 for years ), so the Copy rights have been expired from webzen, thats what a friend told me.. not sure about it tho..
Even so, i have also hear that copyrights of webzen is only in China and Korea, still not sure about it. To be honest mate, there is Season15 and Season16 with huge amount of players right now, and they are fine.. also if webzen started a war, you believe is a war that they want? There is millions of servers, owners e.t.c
They benefit from this, if u are in love with the game, a small % will go to Webzen and play, more stable.. better quality and latest updates also not Kids as owners :p
Anyway, i have no idea.. just be sure that u have something like "This server is in no way associated with or endorsed by Webzen Inc" it may help in some point? but client have like 10000 mentions to Webzen Copyrights... we need an expert :p

MuADMIN
Staff member
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
To be super clear, with everybody lets try to understand first this:
I am not sure, if they were to shut a server down, what will they close down? hm. The servers website?

what if they have their own hosting services? their own network? so webzen's gonn attack them?
how is the suing thing works? i am not sure either, so i believe that is the reason that it is SO EASY to change a HOST / IP or whatever and server name and re-open the server, so why would webzen waste their time? thats all i can think of in terms of that, unless the server's owner spams into webzen mu forums and in game about their server, then sure maybe they have a special bug/trick to shut down any GameServer? client? who knows, i am not sure, but what i believe is it doesn't matter, cus its simple to re-do but time-wasting to claim a report for them.

Reaction score
If Webzen decided to start an attack on private servers it would start with the newer versions.
It would start with IGCN or XteamDev, at that moment we would know that it would start a battle against private servers.
I find it difficult to be interested in the older versions, at least with a different interface (0.97 ~ s6)
On the other hand, webzen benefits from private servers, many users loyal to the original webzen use private servers to rest from it.
I don't see Webzen wasting time with private servers, but if they compete with their most up-to-date versions if they could take action against them.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score

proof>

Anyone that has been playing the "top" private servers in the past few years can definitely confirm this..
After not playing MU for years(S6!), I came back to servers being S13I first started with GlobalMU(S13x50)->DragonMU(S14x500)->GlobalMU(S15x500)->Asgard(S15x5000), and a few others inbetween, and I know for a fact that DragonMU,GlobalMU,AsgardMU,and Mu Europe, were all owned by the same administration team, Havent played MU for 6+months, and they were still trying to keep it kind of hidden, not sure about now. It wouldn't be good for them to advertise as the same owners as the server that just gave up a months before and left players empty handed as they opened a new one..
As a business strategy, its brilliant.. From a players perspective, it can be almost heartbreaking. When DragonMU closed, it definately was for me. After not seriously playing a server for years, then devoting a year to playing competitively, making friends, rivals, etc.. ill admit it kind of hurt when the server was basically abandoned by the admins, and everyone started moving to a new server..(GlobalMUx500 S15)
Became one of the higher ranking players in that server, as well, after following my friends.. and it eventually suffered the same fate.
Still played a few servers after, but not the same way... completely quit a few months later.
Sad, because this is the ONLY game I actually play. Tried every other MMORPG, couldn't get into them.
Now, im downloading LevelMU, after checking the top server charts again.. just to hope I can once again get into the game.

Sorry for resurrecting old topic, and wall of text.
Not sure why I felt the need to share all of that.

Reaction score
I've read the posts here and true. A lot of private servers are ran by incompetent administrators. But, in this case, you(we as players) are the one who choose to pay for some poor services or not. If someone is willing to pay freely for something, the server's incompetent admins are not criminals. You are just dumb enough to do that xD (no offences here). So, we, as players, we need to provide a feedback and get an opinion on that server. The reason many players are playing 2 weeks and then the server just dies, is cause the server it really sucks! And players actually saw already what the server can offer. The best private servers are the one which coming with custom things(Not ITEMs. Custom not equal Items or pets), things like a jewel bank, a wcoin slot machine, different events with unique loot and a change in the grind method of getting xp, custom quests, new crafting system.. and the list can go on and on. The monotony is killing the servers.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I've read the posts here and true. A lot of private servers are ran by incompetent administrators. But, in this case, you(we as players) are the one who choose to pay for some poor services or not. If someone is willing to pay freely for something, the server's incompetent admins are not criminals. You are just dumb enough to do that xD (no offences here). So, we, as players, we need to provide a feedback and get an opinion on that server. The reason many players are playing 2 weeks and then the server just dies, is cause the server it really sucks! And players actually saw already what the server can offer. The best private servers are the one which coming with custom things(Not ITEMs. Custom not equal Items or pets), things like a jewel bank, a wcoin slot machine, different events with unique loot and a change in the grind method of getting xp, custom quests, new crafting system.. and the list can go on and on. The monotony is killing the servers.

I agree that I wouldn't call them criminals.. Moreso I'd refer to them as greedy business owners, tbh.
While the fact that they take money for items from people assuming the server will be around a while, and then purposefully kill it off by moving all attention to the next server they open, so that players go to that one, and spend money again, could be seen as immoral, as you said, it's the decision of the players, so it's not really criminal.

However, most people I've spoken with that play MU, are looking for a server that has a high playercount(This is the most important part to me, as well.. I mean, what fun is MU without developing rivalries and friendships?) and is of the newest season..
That leaves very few options, honestly, and most of them are owned by the same administration team.. and all of these servers have a strong pay2win feeling to them, because while it's true you can grind for your gears and get them without paying.., you'll struggle to do it before the server starts to die. Ask me how I know.. :p

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
That what has been said that servers currently are run by hackers is a true thing. Why? Try to find a server without ANY virus in main.exe Today its impossible many days ago half of servers were clean on virustotal.com
If I am wrong please provide links or at least names for clean servers !! Thanks

Reaction score
That what has been said that servers currently are run by hackers is a true thing. Why? Try to find a server without ANY virus in main.exe Today its impossible many days ago half of servers were clean on virustotal.com
If I am wrong please provide links or at least names for clean servers !! Thanks

Not sure if you are into Mu Online Development, but any viruses inside the main.exe are not viruses, but false positive Trojan signature or whatever virus. The reason that is detected as a virus is because inside the main.exe are happening some "Illegal" changes into the memory, such as loading libraries, functions being hooked or detoured, etc.. so the game can be adapted to the server administrator needs without having the main source code.

It's safe to play on most servers I would say, but yes, most players do have an antivirus and maybe they don't wanna disable it.

There's no MAIN source code, so no one can develop a correct main.exe without false positive antivirus reaction.

Back