Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Help] Use Dedicated/VPS server from US while My target is in Asia

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for a Dedicated/VPS server to host Mu online. I found a few good price hosting in US/Europe while my location and target is Asia.

I would like to ask if its possible to do that? or Should I use any hosting server closest to my location?

Sorry I'm not to this.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
If your target audience is a specific country, then rent a server that is also located there, or which at least has decent routes to the APAC region.

No point in grinding the poor folk with high latency by hosting it in Europe.

Looks like OVH has a data center in Singapore with delivery in 10 days.

Upvote 0
Banned
Banned
Reaction score
host location doesnt matter and if you asking what country have a best connection is singapore but that was expensive US Germany EU was cheapest one but that was depends on your CPU performance if you choose SSD or HDD but expect ssd was expensive and good performance to hdd

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I see OVH has sg server but their game dedicated is over my budget. I see Soyoustart has gaming server with more affordable price
but they dont have server located in Asia. what is ur recommend servers?

Can you tell me what is the recommend spec for VPS or Dedicated server to host for like 500 players? should I go just VPS or Dedicated?

Also, Web hosting and Game server hosting, is it better to choose the same provider? or it doesnt matter?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
People that say location doesn't matter have no clue how online games work.

Anyway, you should first research what a VPS is and its technical limitations when compared to a dedicated server, especially on Windows.

Secondly, VPS usually have low storage and extensions are expensive, you will (should) want to keep logs and backups for at least a few months. Unless you have an offer that includes SSD by default then don't waste your money on SSD hardware, the only times a MU server will generate disk activity are the initial start, writing logs and database backups. Long story short, you and the players will get 0 benefits in terms of gameplay.

If budget is an issue, I would get the cheapest dedicated server available with 4 cores, 8 GB of RAM that also has DDoS protection and good peering to the target country.

For web hosting the latency would be minimal if you choose the same provider but it is not vital to be so.

P.S. You can always upgrade to a better machine, after your server grows.

Upvote 0
Reaction score
Your players will notice lag when your server is too far away. I remember playing on webzens servers (south korea) from germany... ping was always over 300 - had no chance in pvp with equal enemies ;)

If your target is asia, better host the server there ;)

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
People that say location doesn't matter have no clue how online games work.

Anyway, you should first research what a VPS is and its technical limitations when compared to a dedicated server, especially on Windows.

Secondly, VPS usually have low storage and extensions are expensive, you will (should) want to keep logs and backups for at least a few months. Unless you have an offer that includes SSD by default then don't waste your money on SSD hardware, the only times a MU server will generate disk activity are the initial start, writing logs and database backups. Long story short, you and the players will get 0 benefits in terms of gameplay.

If budget is an issue, I would get the cheapest dedicated server available with 4 cores, 8 GB of RAM that also has DDoS protection and good peering to the target country.

For web hosting the latency would be minimal if you choose the same provider but it is not vital to be so.

P.S. You can always upgrade to a better machine, after your server grows.

Thanks for your help. but will 4 cores, 8 GB of RAM fit like 500 to 1000 players?

Upvote 0
Back